Project "Parts Car" Resurrection

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have an A87 cylinder head, I'm guessing that it's a closed chamber head, it's only machined out where the valves are at. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I had completely forgotten I had it, until I went to pick up my motors at my garage/shop... :rofl:

Well, I had to do a bunch of "busy" work on Saturday and lost most of my engine swap day, so do to time constraints I'll be installing the L18 "mystery" motor... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: oic's to come soon of the install... I found the cause of all the damage to my L18 also, apparently the strait side of the timing chain guide broke in half, sending little shavings and shrapnel all through the engine, My oil pan looked like someone filled it with glitter. :angry: :angry: :angry: I'm gonna try to finish the engine swap on Sunday.

well... it looks like the L18 is a bust :angry: I've tried several different cam positions, looked everywhere for a vacuum leak, done a full tuned up, I've even swapped carbs and this motor just shakes like crazy and revs up poorly. I'm guessing it has compression issues, so I'm gonna pull it back out and put in my L16 this weekend. I have all winter to go through the L18 and get it "right" and ready when I need another engine. :D

Well, I haven't done a compression test, but the only thing in the engine compartment that wasn't there before was this engine. same intake, same carb, same exhaust, etc. and that motor ran great... till it broke. This motor has to be the issue.

well... it looks like the L18 is a bust :angry: I've tried several different cam positions, looked everywhere for a vacuum leak, done a full tuned up, I've even swapped carbs and this motor just shakes like crazy and revs up poorly. I'm guessing it has compression issues, so I'm gonna pull it back out and put in my L16 this weekend. I have all winter to go through the L18 and get it "right" and ready when I need another engine. :D

looks like the wise choice wins out for now eh :rolleyes::P :lol:

I saw somewhere i think on the 510 Realm someone used trailer fenders cut in half to make flares on the rear of a four door 510. The steel fenders are inexpensive and have a nice look to them when used as a flare. Good luck and keep up the good work. Thanks for saving another dime.

Bryce

uhmmmm...... :huh::unsure: :blink: wasn't that last saturday???

:D OIC TIME

OK, as promised, here come the photos...

This first pic is of the "glittery" oil pan and the broken chain guide from the old trusty L18...

L16engineswappics001.jpg

This pic is of the empty engine compartment, showing my pretty rebuild automatic transmission...

L16engineswappics002.jpg

As far as the L18 I installed to replace the damaged motor goes, well... I got so pissed at it I finally pulled it out and put it back in storage, I'll tear it apart this winter and fix whatever the P.O. fucked up in it and get it right...

So, here's what I went with..."THE WISE CHOICE!!!" ;)

This is a pic of the L16 short block, that I went with. I already knew it ran, so I figured it was a good starting point...

L16engineswappics003.jpg

Next I scrubbed and cleaned and degreased the block and all the parts till I was the filthy one and you could eat off the engine block and all the parts... Then I masked it off and started making it pretty...

L16engineswappics004.jpg

L16engineswappics005.jpg

I decided to go with the "WISE CHOICE" again and used the cylinder head from the "old reliable" L18 that I pulled out of the car. It's a W53 head, I believe it is what would be considered a mid-Chamber head, but I could be wrong. Either way, here a couple pics of the head that I used...

L16engineswappics008.jpg

L16engineswappics007.jpg

L16engineswappics006.jpg

Here are the some photos of the assembled engine before the install... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

L16engineswappics009.jpg

L16engineswappics010.jpg

L16engineswappics011.jpg

L16engineswappics012.jpg

L16engineswappics015.jpg

L16engineswappics016.jpg

And last, but not least, here is the "new" engine installed in the car...

L16engineswappics017.jpg

L16engineswappics018.jpg

Ok, that's it for OIC's for now...

I have to say, this engine runs AWESOME!!! :thumbup: :frantics: :thumbup: I had lots of people say that this head and motor would be low on compression, :fu: but it actually runs really well. It sings on the highway at 70 mph and starts very easily. On the plus side, with the lower compression engine, I can finally run the "cheap" gas too. I wish that this would of all been new or rebuild parts instead of good used parts, but it seems to be a good combo for a daily driver. I'm hoping it gets good fuel mileage too... I'm just hoping this motor lasts a while. :unsure: I guess this engine will be my "golden child" lol... wish me luck...

It's metallic gold, I think it'll be a nice contrast when I paint the car black.

Oh the gold is nice! I just painted this motor, blue valve cover as well:

SNC11187.JPG

But when I said Orange, I did not say Gold. And the only thing orange in your picture is the oil filter. Frams are amongst the worst oil filters, dont you want a good filter making sure your oil is nice and clean being able to lubricate your motor well? Well dont rely on a Fram.

Oh, lol... It's a temporary filter. It was cheap. Thanks for the compliment on the gold. I thought maybe it looked orange on your computer. I had to buy a filter at 3am and Walmart was the only place open. I'm gonna get one of those micro type filters. I don't want any more metal or dirt in my motor.