521 Tune-Up

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok..

Changed plugs and wires. Had the wrong cap for L18 not L16 too big.

Carb is getting gas blew out line bowl is 2/3, couldn't get it started so we

Rechecked all plug gaps, firing order, timing. It was backfiring somewhere

Btw the cap and carb my father in law figured. So he gapped the points reset

The timing and checked for spark no problem and backfiring stopped now.

We left it overnight to trickle charge and unflood as well as get a proper cap

And rotor. Try some more tomorrow. And the spark plugs were bad!

Not too much left

Radio

Ok so It has to be the Cap. Which was ordered yesterday but comes today they Said from Winnipeg.

I checked the Carb Bolts, and the Manifold Bolts. I even tried the original spark plugs jsut in case I had the wrong kind.

It turns over and over, and backfires every so often, so Ron (Retired Journeyman & Father-In-Law) and Haynes Manual both say spark is jumping.

I checked the Points Gap

I checked the Spark Plug Gap

I checked the firing order

I checked the Wire connections

I took off and examined the porcelain resistor

I cleaned the battery cables up

I checked for spark 10 times & its getting spark.

The Haynes Manual basically states if you have spark its not the ignition coil, and spark is jumping, so change the cap.

Ron said if there is a hairline crack in the cap, and it gets wet the truck won't like that. I said yup drove thru a puddle last fall and the truck sure bogged down.

So I started with a Fuel Issue, and ended up with an ignition Issue!!

Parts should be here today Fingers crossed!

Radio

Hear me when I say this.

Many, many perceived carburetor problems are actually caused by the ignition system.

A good strong spark will enable an engine to run quite well, even if the carburetor is not quite right.

The point gap is critical. If they are too close, some of the spark energy, sparks at the point gap, and is not available to make the plugs fire. Too much gap, and the coil does not have enough time to fully saturate, and spark energy falls off. The best way to check point gap is to use a dwell meter, and set to 49 to 55 degrees.

You really would benefit from some sort of a pointless ignition system.

The engine is potentially over 40 years old. You should start troubleshooting with a compression test.

NISSAN!!!

'79 and '80 (Canadian) 510s, '79 620s and '80 720 had exactly what you need. Get one for every L 4 cylinder you have. When you find one unbolt from the timing cover and take and keep the base pedestal with it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30263-electronicmatchboxdistributor-80/page__pid__452170?do=findComment&comment=452170

The "HOW TO" section is loaded with electronic ignition conversions.

I myself have never used a compression tester. Unless all the pistons or valves have crackes or holes in them it should still .fire

at TDC zero on crank the rotor should be on a plug wire and points will be open.

when you ck for spark I assume its from the center coil wire placed near ground?

I checked Cyls 1 and 4 for spark several times. And I did Super check the order. just as you said Banzai, 1342 Haynes, and Olddatsuns.com and Banzai guy with the Rebuild L series video...

Maybe thats what i'll do make a video next!

Radio