521 Tune-Up

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went threw this thread, go back to basics, you have checked all the electrical stuff and are sure it is good, you have a fuel supply, and it is good. You have also checked the valves I am assuming. Now put the engine at top dead center(TDC), pull off the valve cover, #1 cylinder cam lobes are at 10am and 2pm, correct? Pull the dist. cap off, it is pointed at 4pm(L20b), correct? Number one plug wire on the cap is where the rotor is pointed, correct? Firing order, 1-3-4-2, counter clockwise, correct? OK, Hot wire it from the positive side battery to the positive side of coil, separate the points a couple times, you get spark, correct? After all this is correct, and you have points spark, put it back together, and start it. If it doesn't start, then I would be frustrated also. Everything has to be in the order above, TDC, 10am & 2pm, #1 dist. wire at 4pm(L20b), 1,3,4,2, counter clockwise. There is always the chance that the needle and seat is stuck in the carb, causing it to flood all the time, but I would assume that one would see fuel puking out everywhere if this was the case, but I don't know this for sure, as I do not drive anything daily that has a downdraft carb, and have not for years. wayno