what kinda cylinder head is an a87??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A-87 was used on the L18 and some early L20B motors. They were open chamber but there are some closed chamber ones around that were brought to N Am on imported JDM motors back in the '70 and '80s.

They are identified by the A87 cast onto the bottom edge just below and behind the number 1 spark plug and have square exhaust ports.

Here is an A-87 closed chamber head. You can just make out the A87 between #1 and #2 cylinders...

motorheaadA-87closed.jpg

No the L16 only comes with numbered heads. Letter heads (A 87) were used on L18 and larger motors. This doesn't mean that someone can't swap one on an L16. This is likely a closed chamber A87 as an open chamber head would drop a small L16's compression to 7.85

• Like 1

soo an a87 isnt a l16 right??

Correct, the A87 head does not come on an L16. However, there are two different size A87 combustion chambers. The larger open chamber is too big and will reduce the smaller L16 engine's compression to 7.8 The much smaller closed chamber A87 head will bring the same L16's compression to 8.3 which is much better.

I thought you once said only number heads were on the L16. Also the compression would be way under 8 to 1. '73 620s had L18s starting in October. Could it have been an L18?

Not I. You could get an L16 with a W53 too- later model (1978-82 ish) L16 crate motors had W53 heads (I have one). The W53 equipped L16s had peanut heads WITHOUT the injector notches that most W53 heads have.

The 1973 L16/A87 heads were open chamber. That much I do remember. Dunno what they did about compression, the L16 in my Mom's truck had lightly dished pistons. But since I was all of 18 years old when I had it apart, I didn't exactly think measuring the cc's of the head or piston crowns was useful to anyone. I do know that after the head was milled, running regular (91 octane leaded) made it ping, and running "Unleaded" (87 octane) made it ping REALLY bad. I hated having to run super unleaded (93 octane) in it- 19 years old, on a military E-2 paycheck, 120 miles a day, at an extra 15 cents a gallon... plus the 17MPG it got. But in retrospect part of the problem was likely more the retarded valve timing from the head mill than the raised compression. But as I said, I was 18 when I rebuilt it using nothing but a Chilton's manual for guidance.

My Mom's truck definitely has a L16. Block number match the dataplate. It was built ~ 3/73, with a second date 5 or 6/73 (final assembly in the US, when they put the bed on to evade the "Chicken Tax"). Sold 7/73, I have copies of the sales paperwork. My folks are the sole and only owner and still have it.

Every '73 (And '72 620) with a number-matching engine and presumptive original head I've ever seen had a A87. Along with the '73 and '74 L18s, they're about the only known original source for open-chamber A87 heads.

should i keep the the l16 engine with the a87 or should i go to a bigger engine??

Should you? What do you want to do? What can you afford do do? If it runs fine and you're happy with it, there's no reason to change. But since you asked, that probably means it either doesn't run fine or you aren't satisfied with it, or both.

• 3 months later...

Should you? What do you want to do? What can you afford do do? If it runs fine and you're happy with it, there's no reason to change. But since you asked, that probably means it either doesn't run fine or you aren't satisfied with it, or both.

i just want something that runs fine but isnt that slow.. and well i have never driven my car yet its a project car but i was just wondering since i dont wanna just have 95 horse power..

The A87 heads came in the 610s and the 620s. I Think for 1 year only. The L16 is block not a head or A87. The SSS bluebirds had L16s with closed chambered heads on the early years and L18 with closed chambered heads on the later years. The A87 is not a SSS head but very similar to a SSS.

17 mpg ah that's not right. I have an L18 bored .40 over, flat top pistons, Isky cam, lightened flywheel, balanced crank, fully ported head, bigger valves and I get close to 30 mpg. 91 octane too and no ping. There is something with your motor