Datsun 410 Wagon

pl521sss

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a '78 or '79 L20b and was done by a PO. A real hack (literally) job. Butchered wiring that I'm still sorting out. J motor mounts cut off and home-made mounts for the L added. Cross-member sawzalled so the pan would clear, then 1/4-inch plate welded in. Functional but definitely ugly welds. If it doesn't break sooner, I'll probably try to redo it properly when I pull the motor to add a 5-speed. Right now just trying to get it road worthy for a BBQ in April and Canby in June.

Hey mate, how's the wagon coming along?

Got a question in regards to the L series install, do you know the 410/411's are different in the crossmember area?

I'm still chasing down 2 cars over here, but I'd definitely be wanting to at least install a L16 into it, just curious if the L16 could be installed without crossmember or hood mods.

The L16 has a shorted block, so hopefully may be able to come up a bit without requiring the need for crossmember mods. How's the trans tunnel? any cutting been done?

What year is that thing, I have some tail lights for a 411, And some head light rings. I had a 411 (1967) But I sold it a few months back.

you still have these tail lights datrod? im in desperate need of some good ones and can't find any over these ways.

Hey mate, how's the wagon coming along?

Slow..... :(

Got a question in regards to the L series install, do you know the 410/411's are different in the crossmember area?

I believe they're the same, but dunno for sure. I have 410 and 411 parts manuals now, so will try 'n' look it up later.

I'm still chasing down 2 cars over here, but I'd definitely be wanting to at least install a L16 into it, just curious if the L16 could be installed without crossmember or hood mods. The L16 has a shorted block, so hopefully may be able to come up a bit without requiring the need for crossmember mods.

I doubt it. At a minimum, you have to remove the J mounts and fabricate L mounts. If you get the height right, you won't have to mod the bonnet. However, some crossmember mods will be necessary to clear the engine pan....at least that's how mine is.

How's the trans tunnel? any cutting been done?
The 4-speed fits just fine. Hoping a 5 will, too, in the future.

Thanks for all the info, got one more for you, does the motor that's in there at the moment have a front facing sump or a rear one?

I'd probably lean towards a custom sump and pickup if I had to, rather than the modded crossmember, but in saying that, I haven't even got my head under a 410/411 before :mad:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2eDeYe;59672'']Time to get rid of that gap between the tires and fender lips :D

Oh yeah

That's next on the list

Saw zall should fix that in 10 minutes or less.

let it drop to the ground

Till I can upgrade to Datsun Roadster comp springs

• 3 months later...
ive got a 411 sedan with 14inch rims and putting 510 disc`s onto front and putting a L20B into it its lowered 2inches all round

Not without posting pics you don't. :D

Damn, I love all these 410/411's coming out of the woodwork. :thumbup:

68-73 510 discs? If so, why?!

You might want to reconsider that thought. From the EarlyDatsunClub:

I recently installed 411 sss brakes in my 65 410. I have three 510s and tons of parts. Since I began the 410 project, I have tried to swap numerous parts. I can assure everyone that 90% of the 510 stuff does not interchange.

The two parts that are the same are pads and caliper pistons.

The caliper hat may be interchangeable with some modification.

411 hubs use much larger bearings and spindle.

411 rotors are larger diameter and the bolts that secure them thread into the rotor.

510 rotors are smaller in diameter and the bolts that secure then thread into the hub.

Some other items that will interchange:

- 510 rear brake shoes

- 510 rear wheel cylinders (13/16). However, the PL uses 11/16 and the RL uses 15/16. The 13/16 may change brake bias and pedal feel slightly if using the original PL/RL master cylinder.

options are hard to come by for brake options in nz

If you can source a complete SSS front disc brakes setup and not try to interchange the parts from a 510 then I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I have the complete SSS front disc waiting to be installed.

Just don't have enough time at the moment.

Just a heads up, there seems to be a few sets of nos tail llights popping up on Yahoo Japan if you are looking to replace the lights (they are euro style though from memory, so orange indicator).

Later all rectangular ones or the pre-April '66 two-piece ones? Links?

options are hard to come by for brake options in nz

Hope to see a couple 411's and 410s at the next JCCS. One of my favorite Datsuns.

Jaime._____________________________________________________----

When and where is the next JCCS?

I thought there were 410411 at the last JCCS