Datsun 410 Wagon

pl521sss

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks half decent, I'm waiting on some photos of one over here to see if it's a go-er.

Couple of questions;

1. Is that a J13 motor?

2. Do they have drum brakes all round?

3. Did any of those early bluebirds come with a disc brake front setup? (like the SSS?)

4. Anyone done a L series conversion on one of these?

The engine bay looks hell short.

Any chance of posting some pics of the brakes?

I agree, looks perfect for a 12a :)

really that thing looks pretty good man.

Motor is a E1 type

Licensed copy of the AustinMG motors

Later model like the RL411SSS came with the R16 and front disc brakes.

Once I get all the mechanicals working again.

Will consider looking for a R16 motor to swap.

Why not if I can find it.

Better yet, a real 411SSS

there was one (411SSS) for sale for a while here in portland somewhere. I'm sure it'll pop up again, as it seemed the guy couldn't sell it. And he only wanted $1500 or so, same color as yours too!

Here's one now in ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-RL-411-Sport-Wagon-Automatic-67-Datsun-RL-411-Bluebird-Station-Wagon-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ290204686170QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290204686170

Most of the one in ebay are too far for me to get.

What year is that thing, I have some tail lights for a 411, And some head light rings. I had a 411 (1967) But I sold it a few months back.

1965 Datsun 410

410 tail lights should be different from 411

but let me know if you do have it for 410

Thanks

Yup, drum brakes all around. The SSS models got front discs.

The 410 had the E series, the 411 the J13, the 411SSS got the roadster R16. R16 engines are cheap 'n' easy (even freebies sometimes) to find from the roadster folks.

The late '66 and '67 411 wagons have the rectangle. The early '66 411 wagon are the same as the 410 wagon. Here's my '66:

leftrear.jpg

Yes, an L will fit:

engine.jpg

Been thinking about a VG30 ever since fisch posted that 411 drawing, :rolleyes: but that would also involve rethinking suspension and brakes.

Yup, drum brakes all around. The SSS models got front discs.

The 410 had the E series, the 411 the J13, the 411SSS got the roadster R16. R16 engines are cheap 'n' easy (even freebies sometimes) to find from the roadster folks.

The late '66 and '67 411 wagons have the rectangle. The early '66 411 wagon are the same as the 410 wagon. Here's my '66:

Yes, an L will fit:

engine.jpg

Been thinking about a VG30 ever since fisch posted that 411 drawing, :rolleyes: but that would also involve rethinking suspension and brakes.

Nice 410

What you have to do to fit that L16?

Have any spare parts available?

Nice 410

It's a '66 411. 410's were '64-'65.

What you have to do to fit that L16?

It's a '78 or '79 L20b and was done by a PO. A real hack (literally) job. Butchered wiring that I'm still sorting out. J motor mounts cut off and home-made mounts for the L added. Cross-member sawzalled so the pan would clear, then 1/4-inch plate welded in. Functional but definitely ugly welds. If it doesn't break sooner, I'll probably try to redo it properly when I pull the motor to add a 5-speed. Right now just trying to get it road worthy for a BBQ in April and Canby in June.

Have any spare parts available?

Nada, at least, none that I know of yet. What do you need so I keep my eyes open? :mellow:

It's a '66 411. 410's were '64-'65.

It's a '78 or '79 L20b and was done by a PO. A real hack (literally) job. Butchered wiring that I'm still sorting out. J motor mounts cut off and home-made mounts for the L added. Cross-member sawzalled so the pan would clear, then 1/4-inch plate welded in. Functional but definitely ugly welds. If it doesn't break sooner, I'll probably try to redo it properly when I pull the motor to add a 5-speed. Right now just trying to get it road worthy for a BBQ in April and Canby in June.

Nada, at least, none that I know of yet. What do you need so I keep my eyes open? :mellow:

I'm going to hunt down an R16 at later time as soon as I get the wiring and brakes sorted out. Going to rely on the E1 motor for now. Starts and seems to be still in good condition. Won't idle, not sure the problem yet.

Does the 410 share the front suspension from a Roadster?

Would like to lower the front end and upgrade some of the suspension components (sway bar, shocks....)

Looking for the door panels, bumpers, front markers, rear passenger door.

Does the 410 share the front suspension from a Roadster? Would like to lower the front end and upgrade some of the suspension components (sway bar, shocks....)

I don't believe so, but not positive. Maybe the earlier all-drum '64-'65 SPL-310 (1500cc engine), but not the '66 and later, which had front discs/rear drums. That said, I know Tana has discs on her 410 sedan....dunno where/what they came from.

There's a guy in Vancouver, BC on the EarlyDatsunClub Yahoo Group who's upgraded the brakes and suspension on his '67 411SSS wagon. Here's a snippet of what he posted in Dec 2007:

The car is now stripped to the bare shell and is undergoing a complete restoration and upgrade to include a Nissan CA18DET 16valve turbo, 5 speed gearbox, modified roadster spindles, brakes and suspension as well as Volvo 4 piston calipers to help slow this little rocket down.

NOTE: The Volvo disc brake conversion he's referring to is HERE.

Looking for the door panels, bumpers, front markers, rear passenger door.

You just missed someone on craigslist (Portland?) selling doors. Tana might have some of this stuff, but she got married late January, then had knee surgery Feb 5th (think drugs and therapy), and I think her computer might be on the fritz again. There's also a 411 guy in Fremont, CA that has a horde of 411 parts that he was thinking of selling. I'll try to contact him and hook you two up.

Pete.....seriously....bring that to Canby!!!! :)

That was last year's plan....until I realized how much needed to be done to make it road worthy and how little time I had.....sigh....

This year I've got added incentive... a friend's BBQ in mid-April. It'll be a good shakedown before Canby in June. OTOH, it might be quicker to get the 914 back on the road. There's another 914/Roadster dude who just moved to the Portland area from SF. Two 914's at a Datsun meet..... :cool:

I don't believe so, but not positive. Maybe the earlier all-drum '64-'65 SPL-310 (1500cc engine), but not the '66 and later, which had front discs/rear drums. That said, I know Tana has discs on her 410 sedan....dunno where/what they came from.

There's a guy in Vancouver, BC on the EarlyDatsunClub Yahoo Group who's upgraded the brakes and suspension on his '67 411SSS wagon. Here's a snippet of what he posted in Dec 2007:

NOTE: The Volvo disc brake conversion he's referring to is HERE.

You just missed someone on craigslist (Portland?) selling doors. Tana might have some of this stuff, but she got married late January, then had knee surgery Feb 5th (think drugs and therapy), and I think her computer might be on the fritz again. There's also a 411 guy in Fremont, CA that has a horde of 411 parts that he was thinking of selling. I'll try to contact him and hook you two up.

I've tried contacting Tana but no response yet.

Perhaps she's busy or like you said, computer fritz.

Please let me know who this person is in Fremont (my home town).

Coincidently, I won 410411 badges in ebay and picking it up here locally.

Maybe it's the same guy.

hi all, this is Tana, trying to recoop from knee replacement surgery and still on drugs! Yes, I have those tailights, complete set ups or just the lens...whichever you need and probably any and all other parts you might need. PHone: 425 255 5591....still trying to learn to walk again and kind of slow getting around, but trying to get back into parts business and car fun! No clutch for me this summer most likely....but now I have a new high tech clutch leg knee...Dr. gave me one for active folks.

so, PM me or call....which ever will work...calling will get a quicker response...

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Pete

Here are the photos of the front wheel bearings.

Inner bearing part number: 30206 (KOYO)

Outer bearing part number: 30304A (KOYO)

Inner bearing

410wheelbearing003.jpg

Outer bearing

410wheelbearing005.jpg

410wheelbearing012.jpg

Looks like it's same bearing as the 521 wheel bearings.

Awesome! Thanks Pete. That is the bearing that is listed for both the 410's and the trucks, but it's a 30mm ID while the trucks need the 32KB02 with a 32mm ID. I'm actually in the process of making spacers that will allow the 320/520/521 to use the available 620 drum bearing.

So...any idea what options you have for upgrading to disc? I know another 410 guy down here that has drums and wants to upgrade.

The 30304 is the same outer bearing the trucks use.

YES!! You are my one great hope to make the 411 rat live! Though I guess it doesn't matter to me what is under the hood so long as the outside is Rat-tastic!

Awesome! Thanks Pete. That is the bearing that is listed for both the 410's and the trucks, but it's a 30mm ID while the trucks need the 32KB02 with a 32mm ID. I'm actually in the process of making spacers that will allow the 320/520/521 to use the available 620 drum bearing.

So...any idea what options you have for upgrading to disc? I know another 410 guy down here that has drums and wants to upgrade.

The 30304 is the same outer bearing the trucks use.

I'm waiting on Steve from Canada.

He has front disc out of SSS

As soon as he's able to get it out of his storage.

Never seen 2 wheel cylinders/wheel on a Datsun.

Doubles the challenge I guess.

Maybe Beebani can help fabricate one that will use a 510 disc.