My wagon is dead

datrod

have you checked all your ground wire under the hood and under the dash allong with any other grounds it may have?

Checked everything under the hood. Not inside the car.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check for voltage at the fuse box. If none, then the fusible link connected to the starter positive cable may be bad, burned out or bad connection.

Some parts of the fuse box are provided power through the ignition switch in the ON position. Bad, loose or corroded ignition switch connections can disrupt power through the switch. The alt is also 'told' to turn on and charge by the ignition switch.

Last, the connections and fuses in the fuse box can corrode and the clips holding the fuses make bad contact. Remove and install the fuses to rub off oxidation and make better contact... if this fixes the problem, clean more thoroughly and replace all fuses as they can't be trusted by simply looking at them.

If the car was cranking over then I can assume the two battery posts and the head ground and the starter terminals are making good contact. There should also be a heavy gauge wire from the negative post or the engine block to the body sheet metal to provide a good ground return for other electric accessory devices such as lighting, wipers, heater gauges and more. This includes the voltage regulator which needs a good body ground.

With the car off 12.63 volts. With the car running 12.58 volts

This is why the charge light is off. One side of the light goes to the battery the other to alt output. As long as they are the same power can't flow from one side to the other and the light stays off.

If the alt should fail to produce, power from the battery will flow through the light into the alt and the light lights up.

fusible link connected to the starter positive cable may be bad, burned out or bad connection.

Thats it if you have no lights with , GOOD BATTERY

Get a plug in the cig lighter voltmeter. they work good enought and they can tell you if your loading down way before soemthing goes bad.

I had a Z car and in daylight was fine. at night with wipers on it would drain the battery.but just enought to make it home then in morning dead battery

fusible link connected to the starter positive cable may be bad, burned out or bad connection.

Thats it if you have no lights with , GOOD BATTERY

"BINGO" hainz.

The large wire from the loom to the positive starter was toast. I didn't have a fusible link so I just used a butt connector for today. And it fired right up.

Also the alt was bad. took it out and you could move the pulley about a 1/4" back and forth. Bad bearings.

And I had lost one bolt on the bottom of tha alt so the belt was loose as well.

I guess I should get under there once in a while and check things out. I had a mess of stuff wrong.

RATSUN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks for all your help everybody. :)

Oh and I had a lifetime warranty on the stupid thing so all is good. FREE

Check for voltage at the fuse box. If none, then the fusible link connected to the starter positive cable may be bad, burned out or bad connection. .....

Damn Hainz you get all the props. :rolleyes: :lol:

Damn Hainz you get all the props. :rolleyes: :lol:

Well I guess I should have said a special thanks to datzenmike. :lol:

I don't have a ground to the body, But I will now THANKS datzenmike. :P

Make sure you all have a good ground between the body, or frame to the engine of your Datsun. The factory ground sometimes goes away, and then all your accessories attached to the body try to ground through the throttle linkage, and choke cable, it you have a manual choke.

This destroys cables, and other things.

Glad the problem is now dealt with. John id seriously think about upgrading to an Internally regulated alternator. I did this on my 620 & it was an easy swap. Plus youll have an alt. putting out 50 amps compared to 35. Let me kmow if you need more info.

Datzenmike figured it out.

But if lights/parking lights dont come on and the battery is good I always ck the fusable link area or spade lug on the starter.

one night I was driving and I hit my hight beams and bam everything went black. But the day before I notice my spadelug on the starter post was fraded. Being Lazy I didnt do anything. So what happen is when I hit the highbeams it dru to much current and fryed the wires(open). fixed it on side of road.