My 1979 Rabbit Diesel

well last weekend, the wife and i drove 14hrs including the loading and unloading to get this Rabbit home. sadly the engine was disassembled 10 years back, and its wore out. plus it has some rust in the bores as well. i am going to make this my daily driver. so she is getting the full rebuild. i am looking at the 48-60 mpg capabilities and it sounds damn good to me!

0226111405.jpg

0227111431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i am a member of vortex. the good thing is, it has a 5speed in it. i am crunching the numbers to see, if i should do a swap or go with rebuilding the 1.5 i will need to find out more info on the other engines and compatibility.

• Like 1

yes i am a member of vortex. the good thing is, it has a 5speed in it. i am crunching the numbers to see, if i should do a swap or go with rebuilding the 1.5 i will need to find out more info on the other engines and compatibility.

All VW trannys are compatible with VW motors(with in reason of course). Your five speed will bolt to any of the diesels and even the mk2 motors and the mk3 2.0s

Ever seen a VW Golf Country? I want one so badly!!!

Hell yeah. Those little things have great potential!

One of the coolest cars ever made though is the Lancia Delta Integral Evo! Theres a guy locally that has one he drag races that makes damn near 1000HP!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

i just picked up a 1.9 1Y motor from Quality German Volkswagen auto parts here in Ontario Ca. i am glad to have a good resource for info and parts so close to home. i pulled the motor and started cleaning the engine bay. i will not focus on cosmetic detail too much. i plan on driving this car a lot. i am looking forward to 50+ mpg!!

0327111310.jpg

0327011309.jpg

0327011310.jpg

• Like 1

duuuuuude bio diesel ftmfw!!!!!! 60 mpg and a dollar a gallon just cant go wrong

these have been growing on me for a while

rabbit.jpg

THE BUCKET!!!! i know the guyt hat owns it. awesome dude and that car is freaking sick!

oh and its NOT allowed into Canada. too low! LOL!!!!

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest on my project. i replaced all of the oil seals on the transmission and the engine. we dropped the engine and trans in today. i traded my step son my western wheels for his stock 13x4.5" wheels. i have the wheels at the shop and they are getting widened to 13x7's with a 4.5"back space. they should be done Monday. this is what the wheels will look like. the bottom wheel way i chose to go. i will post more updates when the wheels are done..

0514111331.jpg

IMG953010.jpg

• 3 months later...