Supercharged L motor 620!

fisch

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that truck is very sweet. i like the 720 headlights in the grill.. kinda wonder why it has dual lake pipes..

From what I've read a bunch of those pipes were dummies even back in the day. But if you look at the photo of the rear end you can see this dude used a Y pipe I think, so they may be legit!

This might be my fav Ol Skool 620 ever. They did everything right! We need a comment from Steroid!

Yes, I know this truck. It was owned all this time by the builder, named Dennis, of a town in Oregon. It was sold to the guy by Dennis in Santa Maria I am guessing about 5 years ago. I talked to Dennis prior to the sale. It was a cover truck with a full feature in Truckin' December 1979. I do have the magazine but here is a copy on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Truckin-Magazine-December-1979-25-Fuel-Saving-Tips-/330521091906?pt=Magazines&hash=item4cf4979f42#ht_1258wt_907

When the feature was done, the truck still had a hood. He could not run the supercharger with a hood. Those are NOT 720 lights. The bezels are Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the same as I put on Funtana and Choptana. That is an Old Glory front grille. Quite possibly the finest tube grilles ever made. They were made and sold by Jerry Weesling who built the first one for His prize winning van, then other guys wanted them built. Notice how the corners are rounded and small pieces outside the light bezels were added? Very cool!! Remember I told You guys that what We built back then was pretty much a copy of what the vanners were doing? The same with side pipes. No, those are NOT lake pipes. Lake pipes are much smaller with a capped off plate on the cutout. A lot of customs run lake pipes, some with a Moon cap plate made out of cast aluminum. Those on this truck are just called side pipes. I ran a set of Doug Thorley 4 into 1 pipes for a while on My blue kingcab. I have a new set that will go on Wasserman's Wonder. Some 620 owners hooked up the passenger's side, but the crossover pipe hangs very low so most guys only hooked up the driver's side or just had them nonfunctional as "dummy" pipes. That back window is a rare Le Van flex window. They open with sunroof type closers on each side. A rare find today. A bunch of guys back in the day added crushed velvet, or another very thin material, to cover the dash. I am suprised that as common as dash cracks are today that more guys don't do this trick to hide them. This is one more truck, and I have seen a LOT, that went to all of the trouble to mold in the fender flares and did NOT weld in the bed seams!! A personal "pet peeve" of Mine! Do it right!!! Even Kolor Me Kustom cranked out some very high $$$ trucks with METAL flares and didn't fill the bed seams!!! UGGggggghhhh!!! That red truck has His seams filled. See how much cleaner it looks?

I did not see this truck on Ebay. Guy Gray has always loved this truck and I hope He can get it. As far as I can tell, it has still been garaged and is 100% complete from 1979 or 1980. A true find!!

Fisch,

I have an article from a Petersen's Pickups & Mini Trucks magazine (as I recall) that told about them. I have never seen one in person. I still have Dennis' phone number and maybe when the bidding is over, I could ask Him where He got it, etc. I truly hope the new owner of this truck keeps it complete and that parts don"t start going all over the place. On observation that I made was HE GOT IT REGISTERED in California!! How in the world did He do that?!?!?!? Dennis lived in Oregon, would this have to pass smog up there? But in California?!?!?? Interesting. Any of You guys bidding on it?

I was wondering if this 620 was going to show up again

I almost bought this truck back in the early 2000's when it show up on ebay one day. In fact, it was listed twice and the second time it was lower priced. I got ahold of Dennis to see if he was willing to trade for it.(lol) But, I couldn't come up with the starting price of 2995.00 that it sold for. I Just started my business and couldnt afford it. Now Im kicking myself. I should of sold a kid or two, LOL

He even offered some other parts to me that he has laying around. I should of Jump on it.

Larry

Fisch,

I have an article from a Petersen's Pickups & Mini Trucks magazine (as I recall) that told about them. I have never seen one in person. I still have Dennis' phone number and maybe when the bidding is over, I could ask Him where He got it, etc. I truly hope the new owner of this truck keeps it complete and that parts don"t start going all over the place. On observation that I made was HE GOT IT REGISTERED in California!! How in the world did He do that?!?!?!? Dennis lived in Oregon, would this have to pass smog up there? But in California?!?!?? Interesting. Any of You guys bidding on it?

He lived in Klamath Falls. They dont require DEQ in that city.

Larry

I was wondering if this 620 was going to show up again

I almost bought this truck back in the early 2000's when it show up on ebay one day. In fact, it was listed twice and the second time it was lower priced. I got ahold of Dennis to see if he was willing to trade for it.(lol) But, I couldn't come up with the starting price of 2995.00 that it sold for. I Just started my business and couldnt afford it. Now Im kicking myself. I should of sold a kid or two, LOL

He even offered some other parts to me that he has laying around. I should of Jump on it.

Larry

Cool Farmer! Well it is good to see whoever bought it did take good care of it. So many show trucks have not been as lucky!

Fate is giving you another chance! Got any more kids you can sell?

Guest kamakazi620
2eDeYe' date='28 February 2011 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1298908067' post='435549']

Awesome truck, totally awesome. :cool:

Kami, who's red truck is that?

Not Tellin'!!!!! hahahahaha!!!

Not Tellin'!!!!! hahahahaha!!!

Thats the truck out of Eugene area. Its was listed on craiglist for quite awhile. It was sold for 400 i Believe. But its a lot cleaner now. I Almost bought that one too. But didnt need to take on another project