72' 510 2 Door "Anything Goes" Project

GT Motion

This my newly acquired 72' 510 2 door. It has a KA24E in it, it runs great, stock suspension. The wheels are centerlines, looks like a drag setup. The interior is gone except the front seats, side panels, and dash. The car runs and drives great, headlights, high beams, brake lights and turn signals all work. I titled my thread as "anything goes" because I am open to all suggestions.

In the end what I want from my 510 is a clean paint job, not car show quality but something to make it look like one color. A few nice exterior pieces, good balance in performance, 2 nice sport seats on the interior, and good power.

Some people want to restore their cars to the original classic form, or replicate a classic motorsport icon, I am just trying to make the car my own, and perform well. I just picked up the car on Saturday, and I have no solid plans yet for the car. I will break down what my rough ideas are.

I have about $3-4k worth of m3 parts left over that I am trying to sell, once those are sold the 510 is getting some decent work done to it.

I live down the street from a Datsun place, I have never been in there before, its called Classic Datsun Motorsports. I might drop by there to see what they are about.

Plans

Exterior:

• Paint - Red, the car was originally red, and I believe that would be the smartest move to put the car back to red, however I love silver. It looks absolutely beautiful, and then if I decide to get a "track car" paint job, it will be hard to find blemishes.
  • Aero - BRE Front Spoiler
  • Fenders - Planned to leave factory, however I am considering doing the BRE front and rear fender setup.
  • Trim & Grill - The trim on my car is in pretty good condition, might just have it cleaned up, only missing a few small pieces. Trim and grill changes are not priority but suggestions are welcome.
  • Wheels - Most likely will go with 15" and stay 4 lug. A decent look good performing wheel, nothing super expensive. Done - 02/15/11

Interior:

• Seats - Found some Corbeau's I like, I will use those. *Parts Purchased* 02/15/11
  • Steering Wheel - I am just going to find a nice looking sport wheel.
  • Dash - New Dash *Parts Purchased* 02/20/11
  • Instruments - New cluster, removal of aftermarket tac, gauges and cluster, will only keep what's useful. *Parts Purchased* 02/20/11
  • Paint & Roll Bar - Will probably keep the car gutted, paint inside a flat black, simple. Will probably get a basic roll bar for safety.

Chassis, Suspension, & LSD:

• Open to suggestions on suspension, I would like an adjustable well performing setup the car will be used at the track and driven on the street, I don't mind a rough ride on the street if it makes the track performance better. For my m3 I had double adjustable coil overs, those worked well. *Parts Purchased* 03/02/11
  • Open to suggestions on LSD setup.
  • Replace all bushings.
  • Steering kit.
  • Control arms.

Brakes:

• Open to suggestions, need something that will perform well on track days. *Parts Purchased* 02/28/11

Engine:

• SR20DET or F20C

I have owned several 240sx's, an m3, and an AWD Turbo Mitsubishi. This is the first car I have ever owned where "every" person who I have showed the car has had something good to say about it, even the mail man stopped on his route, shut his truck off, and checked out the car, he had me pop the hood so he could see the engine.

5101.jpg

I have not changed anything since I picked it up.

img20110205155557.jpg

img20110205155616.jpg

plateg.png

51010.jpg

The car came with these Centerline racing wheels, the first order of business is getting new wheels.

5109n.jpg

51011.jpg

Needs a new dash, new seats.

51013z.jpg

img20110206170717.jpg

Battery is in the trunk, not sure what the deal is with the fuel tank, I don't think its a 510 tank, and the pump says Nissan on it.

5102de.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing to do was to change out the seats, I got some 240z seats for temporary. I am now working on getting some rust out that I found behind the seat, it appears the rust can all be sanded or grind it off then I will spray some primer and black paint over the area.

5105.jpg

5104y.jpg

5106j.jpg

5107f.jpg

I am still working on the section, but you can see in the pic below I got out the majority of rust that was on the surface, just working on the deeper spots. Suggestions welcome, I am using a drill attachment to grind it out.

les at Classic Datsun is a great guy. Pop in and tell him Merlin says hi. Browse my site first www.datsunhistory.com. Les has some of that history just tucked in corners. Les can tell you what your car has, but he ain't cheap, so youll likely get your parts elsewhere.As for your car. Leavevthe fenders stock, you could do a BRE spook(front lip spoiler). Drive it with the ka until you get everything else done.. The ka is a good peppy engine so do your swap last. find a 510 friend and make a list of what is really missing/what needs to be done to be functional. good first things to do... 280zxbrake conversion and a Subaru LSD swap.

les at Classic Datsun is a great guy. Pop in and tell him Merlin says hi. Browse my site first www.datsunhistory.com. Les has some of that history just tucked in corners. Les can tell you what your car has, but he ain't cheap, so youll likely get your parts elsewhere.As for your car. Leavevthe fenders stock, you could do a BRE spook(front lip spoiler). Drive it with the ka until you get everything else done.. The ka is a good peppy engine so do your swap last. find a 510 friend and make a list of what is really missing/what needs to be done to be functional. good first things to do... 280zxbrake conversion and a Subaru LSD swap.

I will do that.

Also those were my plans exactly. I wasn't really keen on doing the over fenders, I was definitely doing the spook front spoiler. I am doing all the the functional work and the swap last. The way you described the build is already what I had planned.

I went by Classic Datsun, they have some great cars and their work is amazing. I saw a race car they just finished and it blew me away, so inspiring. Since he is working so much on restoration and building race cars its tough for him to recommend or help work on street cars which is understandable. I told him you said hello Merlin.

First of all what type of motor are you going to be using? What kind of rims do you want to use? There are some people who make rear disc brake conversion brackets. I have brackets to run 89-94 240sx calipers in the rear for my car.

If everything goes through the rims I will have are 15x7 +7 front +0 rear. The engine right now is going to be ka but later the car is going to have decent power. Engine is going to be the last thing I do on the car.

Thanks for the replies guys, I am really happy with the wheels.

I dig it. I wouldnt be against lowering the front a tad more. I like a tiny bit of rake on 510's. Either way looking good! :thumbup:

Yea, I don't have suspension yet on the car, I will probably pick something up at the swap meet this weekend.

280zx struts will narrow the front track width by 3/4" on each side ............. .. then the front wheels would be tucking perfectly ........ :cool:

Thats the plan!

Does anyone have any idea where this water would have came from? It rained last night and when I opened the car door this morning I saw this little puddle. You can see the stream goes along the side and maybe from behind that panel. Is there a common place where water leaks into cabin on these cars?

img20110216124920.jpg