Not again...

I have had the worst luck with this car...it sounds like the pilot bearing is going out on my 4 speed. I could just replace whatever is failing, but if I am going to all that work, I may as well put in a transmission so I can do 65mph without the engine turning at 3300rpm. I have a 5 speed from a 240sx and a flywheel and a couple of different clutch kits sitting around for my wagon, but I am starting to get tired of stuff breaking all the time.

Since I started work on this car I haven't been able to fix things fast enough to get the project finished, and I am starting to get discouraged. I still have to buy a new front windshield and replace the window seals, not to mention finishing the interior and getting it painted. Maybe I am unlucky, maybe I am almost done fixing it, or maybe I was meant to stick with American cars and V8s instead of old imported 4 cylinders. Maybe the Detroit gods have decided to attack my project in vengeance...who knows.

At this point I am trying to decide if I should continue on the project or try and get a few grand out of all of the new parts sitting in boxes and the straight but unfinished wagon and then buy a domestic V-8 project.

Is this the way it is for everyone else or am I alone in my frustrations?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car is 40 years old, what do you expect? Windows seals and stuff is easy, takes a few hours. New windshield just gotta find one. Im not sure what is breaking on you really other than things getting old with age. My car has lots of degraded parts, but I am slowly restoring it, just put in new window channel felt today, and the windows have stopped rattling! My oil pressure switch is broken, but amazon is shipping me a new one right now. Other than that is me just not liking something about the car. Fix it or live with the old age.

If it's the original 4 speed, they don't like power, or going fast, at least not after 40 years worth of doing so already. Rebuild the trans. I have a guy here who does Datsun 5 speeds for 350-400, which I consider pretty reasonable. Keep in mind, the newer the tranny, generally the stronger. I have the '78 200sx dogleg goofy shift 5 speed in the 510 right now, and my mainshaft is making noise. This was rebuilt about 2 or 3 years ago, but I am VERY hard on trannys, and the next one going in will be a 720 normal shift truck trans mated with the 200sx bellhousing.

Unless you rebuild it all, shit just happens. Make sure when you rebuild it, that you rebuild something strong enough for more power than your current motor as eventually you'll want more power. :)

But yeah, if you're tired of things breaking, take a good hard look at what you've replaced. I've replaced the entire drivetrain, with the exception of the shafts. New u-joints though.

Laecaon, your local parts store didn't have an oil pressure switch? They like a dime a dozen.

heh, I have had old parts break, new parts break, the list just never ends.

Yeah, I know it is an old car, but I have NEVER had this many problems with any of the old fords or chevys I have owned.

I have put hundreds of hours into it, with no end in sight, I guess I am just frustrated.

P.S. the trans is out of the 80 510 wagon I bought from Bill's. I haven't been going fast with it, I have babied it because the first "rebuilt" motor from Bill's was worn out, and this second new motor has a timing cover leak and I suspect the cam gear is off a tooth, so until I pull the head I am being careful. I haven't dipped into the powerband since I first broke the engine in.

This is my opinion. I have stopped at Bill's Datsun, in Clackamas, and I did not really get a good feeling about doing business with him. Others may chime in with their own opinion.

Every car need maintenance. Reality is, older cars need a little more attention than some of the newer cars, especially if the car did not get the attention it needed, when it was newer. You got to catch up with the normal issues.

You could get a newer car, but you will then have a car loan payment, in addition to the normal maintenance. Look at it this way. A car payment is $200 to $300 a month. You can do a lot of repair for that amount, by doing the work yourself.

Hang in there, it will get better. The days are getting longer, and at least we are not stuck in 3 feet of snow like a lot of the country

I bought an 88 toyota pickup a few years ago, my buddy tells me that it will be the most reliable thing i will ever own... 3 engines, a head gasket, 2 engine fires, countless "Tune ups", several nights stranded on the side of the road and a few fist fulls of cash later and the thing is still a piece of shit.

Take them as they come. Dont think about it all at once, you'll drive yourself insane.

I got a decent deal on my 73 Z car ,,, Thought it had a dead cylinder on #5 ---> bought a replacement head (known good head) , then got lucky was just carbon build up :D ,,, Had a strong running engine , tranny , and diff was blown out ( whining bad ) , differential mounts and mustache bar bushing's bad ,,, Fuse box melted while driving some months later ,,, had to put tires on it fairly soon after ,,, re-did front and rear brakes after rear's hardware fell apart and front pads cracked :blink: ,,, replaced SU carbs with 4bbl 390cfm Holley (runs smooth) ,,, converted to electronic ignition ,,, cv-joint's both had gone out ,,, replaced starter after mechanism fell apart 3 weeks after purchase ,,, alternator bearings wen't out , replaced that ,,, bulb's ,,, slave cylinder replaced ,,, Timing chain replaced ,,, leaky window seals ( front and rear ) ,,, various wiring things worked out ,,,, and the list goes on but these are just things off the top of my head ,,, etc...

So my answer is yes ,,,,, yes these can be a paint in the arse , but sooo much fun and plentiful parts :lol:

Remember gas is going ^^^ UP !!! ;)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Shit happens..

We moved the Orange car today to a storage place(stay tuned for further info, in some time ahead)

Was thinking of how long we have had it,and well going on 13 years,painted 11.5 years ago,still looks the same as when it was done, Its been all over the US(we are canucks) then started to think the last time I had done any changes to it mechanically(other than the border issue in 06(it ran great from canby to the border,at the border it crapped out,the guys I was with were great they pushed me across the line through customs :lol: :cool: )The coil calfed :lol:

So besides that,I havent done shit to it for 9 years :o :o :D

Starts everytime, go 40 year old orange 510,The one we got married in to boot :cool:

Shit happens..

We moved the Orange car today to a storage place(stay tuned for further info, in some time ahead)

Was thinking of how long we have had it,and well going on 13 years,painted 11.5 years ago,still looks the same as when it was done, Its been all over the US(we are canucks) then started to think the last time I had done any changes to it mechanically(other than the border issue in 06(it ran great from canby to the border,at the border it crapped out,the guys I was with were great they pushed me across the line through customs :lol: :cool: )The coil calfed :lol:

So besides that,I havent done shit to it for 9 years :o :o :D

Starts everytime, go 40 year old orange 510,The one we got married in to boot :cool:

Married in you say ? :thumbup:

ollz ,,, nice story lou :cool:

You cant restore a car if you are driving it befor it is finished . It almost never work's the car will nickel and dime you to death. Replace every thing at once and then roll that shit for another 10 tp 30 year's.

Don't take this the wrong way.

Sound's like you need to start spending your money a little wiser. Start buy staying a way from bill's datsun. Lol not trying to sound like a a hole just trying to look out for a fellow dimer

Ditto that. I've heard NOTHING good about Bill's Datsun. There are quite a few threads referencing horror stories on here.

I just had to look and see when I picked up Eleanor. Apparently around May of '07. Been damn near three years building her and thousands invested. Actually invested is a poor choice of words. Thousands squandered in the pursuit of fun and Datsun! ;) Not wasted, but I'm damn sure not getting my money back. Then again, everyone wastes money, just depends on how much you have to waste and what you want to waste it on!

Just fix it man. Last time we met you couldn't stop talking about it. You work at a shop. Most everything to repair it is at you're finger tips. Plus you've added too many personal touches to it. Might take a while sell

Yeah, I haven't bought anything from Bill's except the original donor car. Because of needing transportation, I have had to drive it, and yes, it has nickle and dimed me to death. The cost of repairs have not been what a new car payment would have been, but it has been tons of time and money out.

I have been pretty careful with the money I have spent, and what I have spent to this date has been on the drivetrain and anything needed to make it run and drive. I had purchased some stereo stuff for it, but never put it in because I have been too busy fixing everything else.

It isn't that I hate the car or anything, just getting tired of the car not staying drivable for longer than a few days. I suppose it makes the most sense to just finish it at this point, because in order to get anything for it I would have to lower it, paint it, and install the interior just to make it desirable to the average ratsuner.

Thanks for the encouragement...I will just keep plugging away at it. At this time the only thing that hasn't been replaced on the car is part of the factory wiring, the body panels and original sheetmetal, the windows and window seals(I will be replacing those and the front windshield), the heater blower motor, the wiper motor and switch, the seat belts, the gas tank(stripped and cleaned and painted, not replaced), the rear leaf springs, the steering box and shaft, and half of the wheel studs.

pretty sad when the not replaced list is short enough to be in one paragraph, and listing all the new parts would take too long to type out.

Ah well, at least I have some time now to work on it.

P.S. I was laid off on Tuesday. I no longer have a shop to work on it at...that is part of the reason I was considering selling it.