engine stand/rolling rack ideas.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my KA engine on one of those rolling dollys like what you have under yours. I just rolled it under my work bench. Harbor Freight sells them for $15 so they are cheap and roll nicely.

I have a VG on an engine stand and it takes up way too much room. I was in the garage today working on the car and wishing the VG on the stand was not there.

yeah, I have a KA on a stand and I bought another engine stand but havent put it together. I want something low to the ground that I can stash. with the tub thing though, I have it double lined so no leaks can get out. engine stands are nice, but I'm not doing anything with these, and putting them on stands take up way too much space.

What you got going on there in the picture looks great ,catches oil ( big plus ),extra parts and it`s easily moved without gouging floor or straining you back,..

Although what i do is lean first motor against wall then lean the other four (or so) against that..wink.gif

What you got going on there in the picture looks great ,catches oil ( big plus ),extra parts and it`s easily moved without gouging floor or straining you back,..

Although what i do is lean first motor against wall then lean the other four (or so) against that..wink.gif

that tub is actually a cement/mortar mixing tub from home depot. its only big enough for one engine, that and I'm leaving things like the alternator attached, less bots to lose. its sitting on the oil pan sump on one side and two bricks taped together on the smaller side of the oil pan. then strapped three ways so it doesn't tip. I just want to know if anyone else has an idea for something with a smaller footprint. I originally thought of making one out of steel or wood or using the biggest rubbermaid I could find.. but this kinda came up.

Here is my homemade engine stand with a L20 block on it. Its a little off balance to one side if you have to move it but, never had a problem with it fallin over or anything. Its actually pretty sturdy,

DSC01626.jpg

I was gonna take another oic or 2 but my camery batt went dead :(

you can buy an engine stand... they work great

How much was all that stuff? An engine stand from HF is only like $36 after a 20% off coupon...

18 for the caster/rollers

10 for the tub I think

4 dollars for the oil mat

the rachet tie downs I had already. I did it this way so I could move the engine around and have it out of the way, like under a table. I have a KA on one stand already and an unassembled engine stand in the box. having two engine stands will take up too much storage space (I'm trying to make some space) I got a deal on the U20 motor though :o

They work really well, you could grab that Olds diesel mill by the water pump and move it around pretty effortlessly. Of course if floor space is at a premium you can always double stack if possible. During my last cleanup I cleared the top of a cabinet I'd built from an old Kodak 5S printer that I salvaged from a photolab I was working at at the time and forked the old L16 from the pickup on top to save room. A couple of wedges tacked down in opposite corners keeps it from moving, having it fall off would really put a damper on the day.

doublestack.jpg