74 620 "La Pedorra"

paisa13

Friend of mine gave me this truck about 5 years ago! loved the style of the truck but since it didnt run i had been sitting in my back yard used as a yard waste dumpster until last year! Someone knocked on my door asked me for the truck but i couldnt find the title! Few months later the title appeared and the itch to work one the truck began!

IMG_1461.jpg?t=1296093775

This is what i looks like right now!! Dont have any pictures of how it looked before!!
Truck had the L18 but could never get the thing to start! I started by swapping the hitachi carb for a new weber 32/36 and a brand new points distributor! I should of done my research and bought a "matchbox dizzy" but im new to datsuns!
3.jpg?t=1296096860Intalled new plugs, wires, coil, distributor and carb and the Truck fired up right away even after sitting for four years!

The first drive was an experience to remember!!! All exited about getting it to fire up and eager to take it for a drive i didnt even think about the breaks!!! I took off and sped up as much as i could! With a cloud of black smoke behind me i wouldnt be hard for someone to miss me!! When it came time to stop, well i couldnt!!! The pedal went to the floor and only the the front rights felt like it was grabbing! I ran the stop sign, luckly no one was at the intersection! Downshifted to slow down and turned back around to my house!!

After some research i order Beebani brackets and did the disc break swap along with some new titan wheels!!!
IMG_0758.jpg?t=1296097487

I fell in love with the truck and its potential of how i want to get it!! The L18 was dying on me, burning a lot of oil and just not very reliable!!
I bought an L20 from a guy and decided to refreshen it up!! intalled new bearings, rigs etc...

photo1.jpg?t=1296098084photo3.jpg?t=1296098145photo4.jpg?t=1296098185Had to go with my Raider colors!! All about the Silver and Black!!

Here are some pics of the old L18 coming out!!

p3.jpg?t=12960992751.jpg?t=1296099387Out with the 4 speed in with the 5 speed from a 280zx 2.jpg?t=1296099508

Intalled the L20 about a month ago! I had never rebuilt and engine before until this one so im was real happy when it fired up!! Ran a little rough at first but after putting the timing light on it! it settled down and got smooth!! Took it for a spin and ran great!! Huge improvement from my beat up L18
The 5speed is so awesome!! I tried the stock shifter from the truck and also the 280 shifter and decided to go with the short one from the 280, it took me a while to get used to it but its quite interesting feel!!

IMG_0757.jpg?t=1296099983IMG_0755.jpg?t=1296100072IMG_0756.jpg?t=1296100115 Still have to clean up my ghetto paint job a bit more!! ]2REDEYE stopped by and gave me some tips about getting my engine to run better. Starting with the distributor! He suggested the matchbox! The distributor that i had was brand new so i called Autozone where i bought it and asked if i could exchange it for a matchbox and pay the difference in price, since it was still under warranty, they said no problem! I paid about $60 dollars more for the matchbox dizzy but it came with the module included so im happy with my new set up. Way better then hunting for one at pull-a-part!!

In all i have a fresh L20 with 5speed tranny. New big breaks that work awesome also swapped the master cylinder for the 280zx one which gave me more pedal!! New tires to go with my Titans, so in all a good beggining to my yard waste dumpster!!

The body is pretty rough!! The whole passenger side looks like it got side swiped and there is rust on the fender and on the bottom of both doors.

IMG_1460.jpg?t=1296100767
IMG_0752.jpg?t=1296100835IMG_0750.jpg?t=1296100992IMG_0753.jpg?t=1296101113Here is an interior pic!! No carpet yet! Dynnamat and carpet in the future!! Notice my patch work on the floor since it was rusted out!!

Bad news today!! Took it to les schwab to get an allingnment since im all over the freeway!! Got the news that its un allingnable since the kingpins are shot!!
After reading some of the post, replacing the kingpins is no joke, specially since i do all the work myself!! I went ahead and ordered the Kingpin kit from Autozone along with new wheel bearings!! Gonna be my project this weekend, hopefully!! All together $190 or so dollars for parts and some headaches in the near future!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the props guys!!

I started working on the kingpins today after work! This project is a nighmare! The lockpins are rusted on and cant get them out!! loaded them with some pb blaster, gonna let them soak, hopefully i can get them out by this weekend!!

Howdy, and nice truck. I've seen it a few times driving to work (I live just down the road from you and work in Smokey Point) and wondered if you were on the forum... If you see a red 620 around it's probably me, though it might be a while before it sees the road...

Howdy, and nice truck. I've seen it a few times driving to work (I live just down the road from you and work in Smokey Point) and wondered if you were on the forum... If you see a red 620 around it's probably me, though it might be a while before it sees the road...

Thanks! I love the truck, still have a lot of work to do! If you need a hand working on your truck swing by

Went to Les Schwab to get an alignment and they told me again that they can't do the work!! According to them the tierods and everything is custom fabricated and they can't work on it cuz it's not stock!! I replaced everything recently with new stock parts that looked identical to the original ones that I took off, so I don't know what they are talking about!! I'm at Performance Nissan right now, they told me they can handle a Datto!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Gonna start doing the body work on my truck! Have some replacement parts already so just need to sand down the whole truck! Was curious to see how the original paint looked under the copper paint that it has now! The original orange looks pretty good to me! I used a scraper and the copper came off fairly easy!

df180666.jpg

a7ad00a1.jpg

2eDeYe' date='28 June 2011 - 07:10 AM' timestamp='1309273823' post='502338']

That orange looks pretty crisp under there. I still have the bolts and nuts for that core support. I can drop them by after work whatever day you'll be around. :)

Sure thing Steve! I usually get home everyday around three pm! You can swing by whenever u like or I can pick them up! Thanks