Kyusha Kai's '71 510 waGoon

KyushaKai

After a while of Datsun dreaming, I finally picked up a '71 510 wagon thanks to Izzo! In orange to compliment my Z!

Still in Oregon, as delivered from Izzo (via Izzo's build thread).

5311392717_fca085f0db_z.jpg

Test fitting my buddies Basset Wheels steelies in the rear. 14x8 -12. My friend Brice is taking a shit in some 13x8 -40something slotted mags (yeah they weren't even close to fitting).

5335572510_8b6c7bab5b_z.jpg

Her maiden voyage.

5335573920_4e88c38dfe_z.jpg

The playhouse. My buddies Corolla is getting a blacktop 4ag swap and the Cressida is his daily driver. By the way, how's the weather for everyone? It was a nice 80 degrees here. HAHAHA!

5334959509_aa28b562b6_z.jpg

The beginning of the engine bay cleaning.

5351801022_7689876ecd_z.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on my parts to arrive. This wagon will be a rad driver. If you don't like tire stretch and flush ("bad") fitment, then this build won't be for you. This is gonna be awesome. Old school JDM and Hawaii style. Don't ya' know? Us locals build the best cars!

So far: fiddled with the carbs to agree with Hawaii's weather, degreased and cleaned what I can easily reach, installed a tach and replaced some of the fluids.

Waiting for install and/or delivery: My old Recaro buckets to replace the AW11 MR2 seats (I still need brackets though), DatsunSoCalLand weatherstripping kit, wheels (SECRET!), steering wheel (also a secret), front suspension (280zx struts/brakes and urethane suspension), rear drop blocks, 280zx rear brake calipers, rocker trim, hood release mechanism/cable and 4 repair manuals from Amazon. Oh and rustproofing everything with POR15.

You guys are lucky living on the mainland. Cheap shipping and/or plenty of parts available. I went to the Napa here and they didn't even have an oil or fuel filter for the 510. The chances of finding a 510 for parts in the junkyard? NADA!

Long term goals: SR20 swap. I'm scared though. One of my friends swapped a 1JZ into his MX73 Cressida and blew up his diff. Luckily for him, Toyotas are a dime a dozen. If I blow up my rear end I'm SCREWEDDDDD! Plus the motor is so smooth and has a freshly rebuilt head... I'm really thinking hard about keeping the L16 and rebuilding the dogleg trans (it grinds). I don't have the money or knowhow yet as far as rear end swaps. If you guys have good build threads/info about the SA22 RX7 rear end or 9" Ford rear end, post um up! If I stay with the the L16, she's getting dual Webers. Ratsun exterior stays as long as possible but when I do get into it, a respray of the stock orange. Take care of the tiny rust spot on the rocker. Redo the interior, keeping the stock style.

Comments, questions, pointers, criticism, etc. welcome!

Also suggestions for a name!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and also really cool! My friend got hired as an engineer to work on our rail transit system so he's moving back to Hawaii from SF/Sac. I already talked him into drawing me up some parts in Solidworks or whatever he uses so I can get some gangster custom parts machined.

DAMN STRAIGHT! Hawaiians have our own car culture and car style.....and its untouchable. Can't wait to see the "secret" wheels in person. Lemme know if you need anything braddah.

-Brian

:frantics: :frantics:

Lance, It is such a trip seeing my wagon there! I had cleaned the engine bay once with a kitchen sponge and some dawn dish soap and hot water, it came out pretty good. The hood was solid black when i got it. It looks much better after you cleaned it tho ;)

I am def sticking this on the watch thread, can't wait to see what you do with her :D

JDM and Hawaiian style sounds like perfection to me. Get moving. No more pau hana time for you!

You know what I love seeing when I go to HI? Those lifted Hiluxes, on super wide Alcoas with low pro, worn down Super Swampers. To me that is true Hawaiian style because you definitely don't see that on the mainland!

Those Bassetts are 14x8 -12? What a coincidence...The MK2's on the back of my wagon are the same!

Thanks for the kind words everybody! The old Toy trucks are definitely a Hawaii thing. It was weird when I was going to school in California and seeing new and shiny Chevy trucks lifted. "Bro trucks" as my buddy called them.

Hopefully the majority of my parts should be arriving this week so thursday (our dedicated wrench day) should be fun!

Ahh, made it look real nice, what kind of degreaser did you use? Lot of ppl say use simple green but i never had it work for shit for me...

IDK, it was actually some kind of generic kitchen degreaser.

I was trying to keep this a secret, but I'm bursting at the seams. Still on the way over the ocean but I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!

5374946407_e7f70007f9_b.jpg

14x8 -14. WOOOOOOOOOO it's gonna be fun trying to fit these bad boys! Hi, my name is Lance and I'm addicted to wheels.