Alternative fuel

Drifter

Anyone ever tried nitromethane injection?

If my calculations isnt totally worng, I belive the Good ol` A12 1,2liter engine would produce 158,7hp on pure nitrometh (in bone stock condition). I`m pretty sure it would blow... But what about running a 80-20 mix.? Im not totaly 100% on this: But it would give somewhere in the region of 87hp+ of the same engine. And by changing carb and exhaust, to optimize flow I guestimate about 115hp :) <- That is enough to go powersliding in my little B210 ^^

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need high compression, a bullet proof ignition system, high capacity injectors or a hogged out carb and forged pistons to run Nitro.

Some early sprint car drivers and even some Indy cars ran it in small doses. Nitro is classified as a Class A expolosive by the U.S. Goverment!

Just get some AvGas or VP and save yourself the grief.

Hm... yes, the cost would probably higher then the gain...

What other alternatives is there? Maybe be running a progressive direct port nitroxide system with individual carbs?

Can you gain much with 120 octane racefuel without forced induction???

Just trying to think outside the box here, and ironicly enough, norway pumps ALOT of oil, but still hve the worlds highest petrol-prices :/

What other alternatives is there? Maybe be running a progressive direct port nitroxide system with individual carbs?

I have a set of quad carbs going on in a few months that I thought about running nitrous injection into the individual intake runners. Sure as HELL would make some power.

Can you gain much with 120 octane racefuel without forced induction???

Just trying to think outside the box here, and ironicly enough, norway pumps ALOT of oil, but still hve the worlds highest petrol-prices :/

Octane is a resistance to self ignition. In other words it takes more to get-it-lit as the octane rating goes up. High octane gas is less likely to self ignite from heat in a high compression motor.

The higher the compression the more efficiently the motor extracts the energy in the fuel.

Using higher octane does not increase power output alone by itself, it merely allows more ignition advance and/or higher compression.

I have a set of quad carbs going on in a few months that I thought about running nitrous injection into the individual intake runners. Sure as HELL would make some power.

Yeah. I am leaning towards a similar setup now. Found a set of yamaha R6 carbs for sale here in norway. And gonna run a individual port wet nitrous system on it.

What kind of engine are you running?

You guys are all way off. There is already a cheap high-performance fuel available at select gas stations all over the nation.

Its called E85 and it is plentiful.

Lower energy content, but higher octane than premium fuel at about 95-96 (R+M/2 method).

Higher octane = higher cylinder pressures = higher boost = higher compression ratios! more pow'ah! (ala Jeremy Clarkson)

7571.Jeremy_2D00_Clarkson.jpg

Top fuel cars also use nitro because it burns so much SLOWER ,not faster than ,gasoline but it uses less air to burn . Some of it actually burns outside of cylinders thus pulling spent gases out of engine..thats why exhaust always flames and also why ( if you ever noticed ) all top fuel engines have exactly the same size zoomie headers its because thats the optimum length to use as down force also.Most of all they can cram in ten times as much air, then dump ten times as much fuel into engine ( as apposed to gas ) thus cooling the monster as well.

In other words unless your running a diesel OR a supercharger as big as a Datsun it wont do shit

nitro-methane and nitroglycerin arent really the same type of substances