Tube-frame 1968 Datsun 510 - Slowest moving project ever!

Hey, that wheel on the back, it's a 200SX Turbo 15x6. Does anyone have a full set they want to sell? :D

Ha! I "own" the car but not the wheels! There is indeed a full set in great shape. I'll ask the owner if he wants to sell. PM me with your contact information.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just read ALL of this, and now I'm bummed there is no ending :no:

I'm 17, and plan on going to an automotive school, specializing in chassis fab, and all of this is the exact reason why. I literally dream about this stuff, keep up the stellar work man.

So, with the suspension pickup points placed by choice rather than the constraints of the stock body, the "car" has a wide range of ride height options. Everything was built to be easy to adjust, so it's fun to just play with it.

I lowered it all the way down, then started cranking it up 'till it looked good to me.

///////////////////

This is what I feel is a nice, reasonable ride height.

//////////////////

People keep telling me "oh my GAWD, it's too low....what would you do if you were driving and came across a piece of wood in the road?"

Well, fear not! I grabbed the first piece of lumber at hand in the shop - some "5/4-inch decking". The car EASILY rolls right over.

NOW, AS LONG AS I DON'T COME ACROSS SOMETHING HUGE LIKE A 2x4" - it should be no problem.

What, am I crazy? I mean, c'mon people, let's get real, Huh? I don't want to have the car all "jacked up" like an off-road truck!

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

510hrreasonablerideheight.jpg

G-ZUS!!!!! thats hella low

this view gives an idead of the (gasp!) assymetry that resulted from covering the structures underneath as efficiently as possible. Room is tight in a 510, and driver's room was given priority over passenger room.

510hrtrannytunnel3.jpg

i love this build dont get me wrong but...looking at the space on the left hand side...i woulda made it right hand drive so is doesnt sem so cramped...but thats just me man. great job on the build i love it.

2eDeYe' date='02 September 2011 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1314974539' post='539921']

Didn't you guys read the thread title? :lol:

... You have a point, haha :P I'm just excited to see this finished, I like that he's doing all this to make it a great street car, and not just a bagger like most people do.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks guys for the comments and ridicule - well-deserved! Truth is, I've been busy COMPLETELY rebuilding a '69 Roadster which I could only afford because it was seized! Actually, it's a great 1-owner car and has been loved it's whole life but the owner went overseas about 20 years ago and the car eventually fell into "disrepair"

I have worked and worked on it, and "upsold" myself on the u20 head by sending it to Rebello for a cam and trick exhaust port mod. Many new things, like fuel pumps, water pumps, crank pulley etc. have set me back money and time, and I was ALMOST derailled by the clogged fuel supply line that I found. Deep breaths and patience prevailed, and a new pickup tube was installed into the tank after carefully cleaning and flushing said tank. New lines were bent and fitted to the engine, and a test-drive in and out of the garage revealed a leaky rear brake cylinder. NOS replacement (thank you Riley at Lynchburg Nissan) got me back on track and I put a Thanksgiving visitor to work by having him help me bleed the brakes. She should be good to go now, but who knows? - gotta get some fuel and a decently warm dry day to know for sure.

ALL TO SAY that the 68 tube-frame project is not dead! slow-moving as declared, but I'll post an update when it's worthy, I promise. I can't say I regret that I've been helping my bro's out with their projects as well, running the tig machine and helping folks with their aluminum radiator inlet and outlets, plugging and modding cast alu intakes, etc....

Also got distracted going to the airport and being granted help with repairing the rivets and baffle on my roadster valve cover, possibly for no reason at allu20coverrepaired.jpg

• 5 months later...

Man you spent a longgggggggggg time working on that ;)

so true Metalmonkey! TIG welding takes a lot of practice! HA! - actually, life's been in the way lately, you know? -I see you've plugged along on your project, and the offer to help with fab work is still on - I have a record of completing OTHER PEOPLE's projects before my own at a rate of about 5:1

"I'm not dead yet" Monty Python

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n121/blueridgespeed/510HRrotissUpSideDown.jpg[/img]"]http://510HRrotissUpSideDown.jpg

I rolled my car on it's roof last year (see pic), and it's taken a while to get it roadworthy!. This is an old pic, but fairly representative of the chassis state at this point. Oil pan gasket is on order, and then I'll be able to fit the engine with the modified pan and fine-tune design/placement of a front crossmember. I actually ran the car under it's own power with a fixed crossmember a long time back, but I want to make engine installation/removal as easy as possible and haven't settled on whether I want that crossmember to be removable or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...