71 521 Replacement Radiator

SO I have just Ordered a New Radiator. :lol:

It had been explained to me that this was near Impossible. It has taken me 3 weeks on the net to find a fit, but it seems to be @ hand.

It looks like a performance Chevy will fit. 26" x 16.5". The only question is whether or not I'll have to buy universal hoses, or will be able to find a good fit.

I have a lead @ the part shop and should be able to riffle through their selection looking for an approximate fit.

I have a '71 blue 521 w/ l20b. It's the one posted by "Red" in the Gallery. I got it for a dollar, yes- $1.00 Not a bad buy :cool:

It is my intention to do the Water Pump while I have this mess going on.

My peep has agreed to stand around for this madness and shoot Video. So the vids should be up by the end of the month. At the Very Least ample pics will

go up on this thread.

$230 and change so far, including mounting brackets...

Question: Where do you guys get new radiators?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of a new unused one, I just take my radiators to the radiator shop and have them recore it, it's like new, it's a new core and all the outlets are where they are supposed to be, and so are the mounting brackets. No headaches. It's usually about two hundred, but it's been a few years since I have had one done. wayno

Had my 70 radiator recored three years back, in a Stockton, Ca., radiator shop. Had the option of a three row core for 20.00 more than the std 2 row; so went with that. Cost was $285. Just NOW registered on here. My 70 is a daily driver in resto mode with a few small things left to get it to "like new" mechanical performance and reliability. Will post pics soon.

flipp

key is if the upper and lower tank parts are good then they can recore.

I wishe I didnt throw all my rads away back in the day. Just a little leak I would get a new one and didnt think of fixing them.

510 and 521 rads are the same inlet and a 90 deg outlet on bottom not ot hit alternator.But hard to find new ones. if new they mostly made in China now. Modine went out of bussiness(at least the Usa made ones are gone)

Although this info wont help OP--- the inlet connection--- in Olympia WA, fixes radiators ,not brakes,mufflers,tires and wheels just radiators, and he will only sell you one as a LAST resort..Big tank of water a propane torch and a brain.fixed me up a couple of times.

I have two 520 radiators; one with a cracked top tank, the other with a leaking core. My intention was to combine them into one good radiator. (I recently found a NOS radiator, so I abandoned the combining project.) PM me if you know anyone interested in taking up this project.

Keith

Although this info wont help OP--- the inlet connection--- in Olympia WA, fixes radiators ,not brakes,mufflers,tires and wheels just radiators, and he will only sell you one as a LAST resort..Big tank of water a propane torch and a brain.fixed me up a couple of times.

yeah bert has fixed several 521 rads of mine... hes got one of mine now... reminds me i should go check on it unless he gave it to you....wanting to go aluminum ... tired of all the issues with them that i have had...

• 4 weeks later...

The benefits of a being a VW guy too (see my screen name) is I got parts galore and the VW parts program too (ETKA). The early Sciroccos had the smaller radiator but the later II versions also had the setup you might want. They also came on Rabbits and Jetta's. No filler neck and remote overflow. Obviously the options dictated actual size. The later models are about 26-1/2x12-12.

One of these days I'm going to pull down my NOS air dams to see how they fit a 521.