Hitchgirl says it is to cold dad

The 79 woody heater is not working to hitchgirl's satisfaction. She drove it home today outside at about 30 degrees, same this AM when she left for school. I went out to check on it and after a 15 mile drive, the radiator was not hot enough to ever make you think about opening the radiator cap. I pulled it off and the water was barely warm. I know I should probably check the thermostat, but I'll not be prepared to do that till the weekend. Northerners place cardboard over part of the radiator in the winter. The problem here in N GA is today it is in the 20's but by the end of the week it could be back up to 70. I don't trust her to remove the cardboard if it gets hot outside.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the cooling system is working properly you don't need and should never use cardboard in front of the rad. The thermostat should keep the motor at a regulated 185 or 190 all year round. My 710 when I got it would just reach about one needle width, just enough to show that the gauge was actually working. Only once did it even get close to the run part of the gauge. Replaced it and vo'ila heat and it ran way better too.

As you can see the original 36 year old thermostat has a rubber seal that was puckered and holding it open. Those little gaps go all the way round. Install with the coil spring side into the motor.

Coolingsystemtuneup002Large-1.jpg

If your gauge runs very low or doesn't reach the operating range then just replace it. Do not even bother testing them, not worth it. Get a good $12 one. If you haven never changed your coolant/anti freeze or don't know when it was changed last spend the $15 for a premium brand and put it in when you drain the system to change the thermostat. A new thermostat will keep your windows defrosted this winter and anti freeze will prevent corrosion and protect the block and rad.

Thanks datsunmike and Z-tran. I'm going to take a day off and change the thermostat tomorrow. I've got two weeks of vaca to burn by year end anyway. The temp gauge barely registers any temp at all after running forever. Seems like I have to order most stuff for my datsuns, hope the parts guys can get it tomorrow.

Thanks datsunmike and Z-tran. I'm going to take a day off and change the thermostat tomorrow. I've got two weeks of vaca to burn by year end anyway. The temp gauge barely registers any temp at all after running forever. Seems like I have to order most stuff for my datsuns, hope the parts guys can get it tomorrow.

Be very careful when tightening down the two thermostat housing bolts,you can easily break the housing.

Good luck with the heating issue. Daddy don't need his girl freezing.

I just found out yesterday that I have 2 weeks of use it or loose it vacation time so I am getting an unexpected staycation.

I replied to your PM.

David

Good luck with the heating issue. Daddy don't need his girl freezing.

I just found out yesterday that I have 2 weeks of use it or loose it vacation time so I am getting an unexpected staycation.

I replied to your PM.

David

I love staycation, but I'm in the same boat. Years ago, companies just sent a check for unused vacation. Now it is use or loose, I really enjoyed the extra money in the old days.

Thanks for the warnings about over tightening the bolts. I dislike simple projects that turn into a finding pars for 30+ yr old car nightmares. These old cars as daily drivers is loads of fun, simple to work on, inexpensive parts, etc. But finding something like a thermostat housing same day can be no joy. Think I'll check with my Nissan dealer just to see if he has the housing on hand before I take it apart.

No doubt hitch. This is what my 'quick t-stat swap' turned into! What a nightmare. Broke the top bolts. Then broke the bottom housing bolts. And as a result I has to grind out the whole side of the t-stat housing (In order to get to the longbolt.) to remove.

Thankfully I didn't strip the bolts in the head though!

On these Datsuns there is a weird reaction between the aluminum housings and the steel bolts. Creates this white powdery corrosion that runs the length of the bolt and can cause problems.

TstatHousing.jpg

I cracked the a thermostat housing on my mercedes once. JB weld on both sides. Wait a bit. Be more careful while torqueing back down. Never a problem. It was just a hairline crack and I saw it develop before my very eyes. JB weld didnt seem to have any issues with the heat on that engine.

I had to wait all day for the gasket to arrive, funny, ended up getting one from Advance, Napa, and Auto Plus did not have the part number available. You guys have me worried about the housing, so I've been soaking it in penetrating oil all day :). Nissan can still order the housing but it will take a week, Hitchgirl might just have to ride the "looser cruiser" for a few days if I break it. Ha!

I had to wait all day for the gasket to arrive, funny, ended up getting one from Advance, Napa, and Auto Plus did not have the part number available. You guys have me worried about the housing, so I've been soaking it in penetrating oil all day :). Nissan can still order the housing but it will take a week, Hitchgirl might just have to ride the "looser cruiser" for a few days if I break it. Ha!

Her goon is so straight I bet yours will be fine! Mine came out of New Hampshire where it sat for 10 years, not a good state for things that like to corrode!

I cracked the a thermostat housing on my mercedes once. JB weld on both sides. Wait a bit. Be more careful while torqueing back down. Never a problem. It was just a hairline crack and I saw it develop before my very eyes. JB weld didnt seem to have any issues with the heat on that engine.

JB is great stuff, but I'm traveling most weekdays and would rather just replace a part than risk her getting stranded with a leaky t-stat housing. Plus, if she was stuck I'd never hear the end of it, making her drive a 31 yr old car. Wish I could just go buy her a new versa and be done with it. I think that is what brought me back to Datsuns again after many years away. Nice dependable, easy to work on, low budget enthusiast cars. Not the same as everyone's Honda and Toyota.

Shoulda just called me dude ;) I would've gotten you a free one.

What Autozone did you go to? We have them because I've bought them before. You must have hit a dumbass autozoner that didn't know how to use Z-net. Always go to Richard D Sailors or Austell Autozone if you need little Datsun parts. (I think they';re close to you?)

Did the new thermostat this morning. I was apprehensive after the war stories from several of you. The housing came off easy, the bolts were clean and nearly zero corrosion. Ha! no thermostat in the housing, so no wonder no heat. Sorry hitchgirl! put it back together and did a flush, refill, drive to the parts store for some things, and then drained again. See pictures, the radiator really needed a flush. Nearly the 1st time working on a Datsun that one project did not turn into something more complicated, oh happy day. The woody is now sporting a flushed radiator, oil change, new dome light bulb, new wipers,and fabric seat covers. Hitchgirl should be good for the winter.

dsc04280w.jpg

before

dsc04281s.jpg

after

This car really drives so nice.

img3897k.jpg

currently looking for a snowboard for the winter season.