The story of the 3 little pigs

Here is a new story of 3 little pigs. The 3 little piggies all hid stashed away in there garages, never to be seen by any enthusiastic Datsun heads. The 1st little piggy is a 1972 Datsun 510 wagon that I painted

Along with my painting business I also paint Datsun 510s. While the economy boom was going on, and working 60+ hours a week. I decided to paint this wagon. It took me 2.5 years.

Yes the owner had patience.

The complete goon was striped to bare metal, engine bay shaved, along with other body mods. The rear side windows were paneled.

st11.jpg

st12.jpg

st15.jpg

st24.jpg

st56.jpg

st30.jpg

st33.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the interior panels were striped to bare metal

st41.jpg

st45.jpg

st46.jpg

st48.jpg

st38.jpg

st40.jpg

st54.jpg

We even molded a sedan gas door, with shaved lock, on remote opener.

st58.jpg

st60.jpg

Unfortunately I started to get tired of this little piggy and stopped taking pics.

All panels were painted off the car, completely rubbed and buffed. It has been almost 3 years since it was delivered and we hope to see it in the circuit someday.

Stay tuned for the story of the second little piggy

wht was the point in paneling the rear windows? shouldnt have you done it from the outside so it looks "smooth" ? i think it just looks dumb the way it is, unless there a cool part we dont know about! god i wish i had the stuff you do... would be nice to be able to have a rotisserie, and a sand blaster, and a paint booth.. mmmmm il keep dreamin. your work looks amazing btw

Little piggy number 2. This is a 2 door 510 I sold a friend of mine, once he checked out some other 510s at the shop he decided to leave it and have me paint it. It took 2 years (usually I'm working on many cars at the same time). Plans for this one SR20DET, (almost the same as the White Knight but a different color). We call this one Grimace

Most all the project at the shop start the same, strip, and sandblast. Yes the bare metal body is a turn on. On with the pics

Eds16.jpg

Eds17-1.jpg

Eds19-1.jpg

Eds27.jpg

Eds34.jpg

Eds38.jpg

My helper got carried away and blasted the insides of the quarters, by the way this is a bad idea, because of warp-age

Eds40.jpg

Smooth the engine bay

Eds41.jpg

Cut out for the inner cooler

Eds44.jpg

Eds47.jpg

Rad support got painted black, and the rest purple

Eds50.jpg

Eds51.jpg

Eds52.jpg

Gotta go to work more to come

Welding closed running lights, seems, lic lights, just making things smooth.

Eds55.jpg

Eds56.jpg

Let the filler work begin. Most the dents and dings were small enough for me to use glazing putty over the epoxy primer. Heavier areas needed regular filler, where something had been shaved.

Eds59.jpg

Eds61.jpg

The inside of the hood had some rust pitting and needed filled also reseem sealed the hood skin to the frame (see the little worms of caulk), and shaved the hood prop

Eds71.jpg

Eds68.jpg

Pretty

Eds72.jpg

Eds74.jpg

Eds75.jpg

YES BLUEBIRD tail lights, cutting and flange the new area to look oem

Eds76.jpg

Eds78.jpg

Eds79.jpg

Eds82.jpg

Painting door and fender interior

Eds85.jpg

brush and roller time again

Eds91.jpg

Jambs, lots of masking little bit of painting. So Mr. Johnson why do you mask the complete car? Because young Skywalker, you get a cleaner paint job and have less overspray to sand off. And at the same time sand blast, rebuild, and paint hinges

Eds97.jpg

Edsss115.jpg

Gas door mod

Edsss12.jpg

Final sanding the purple piggy

Edsss13.jpg

Mounting doors, and getting ready for the BIG day

Edsss17.jpg

Edsss19.jpg

Edsss18.jpg

Edsss20.jpg

Edsss22.jpg

We have color

Edsss23.jpg

Edsss26.jpg

We have clear, I can't see anything in here, get me a match.

Edsss34.jpg

Edsss36.jpg

Cut and buff

Edsss37.jpg

Edsss39.jpg

Well its been 2 years, still looks like it did when it left my shop. But I look forward to the day i get to see it with wheels and driving.

On to the next piggy. The 3rd Piggy is a 4 door, CUSTOM 68 4 door.

Cool thing all the piggies is that they are all different, goon, 2 door and on with the 4 door. This project was cool for me, as the owners told me he wanted it blue and do as I will to it. Makes for an exciting paint job. As the project progressed so did the mods, Started with a 68 4 door. and turned it in to something crazy.

D23.jpg

D24.jpg

D25.jpg

Stripper party

After stripping, we get to business. All body panels stripped, sanded and metal etched. Then epoxy primed

D12.jpg

D12.jpg

D21.jpg

Once epoxy is spray before it cures, I glaze directly over the epoxy primer (with light scuffing). If there are big dents, I will grind back the epoxy, then bondo.

D18.jpg

This truck lid needed little repairs all over so we glazed the complete surface and sanded flat.

D20.jpg

Notice the door handles are still there.

We decide to shave the handle once most the doors where ready for paint. 2 steps forward one step back.

D27.jpg

D28.jpg

D29.jpg

Then we decided to shave more

Wipers and cowl are gone

D31.jpg

A gig to bend the arch and flange

D32.jpg

D33.jpg

D34.jpg

D35.jpg

D38.jpg