Z car gear ratio choices.... who runs what gears?

SublimeDatsun610

well i am looking to change out the 3.36's for a lower ratio for my wife's 260Z. i see there is a couple options out there from 3.54, 3.70 and 3.90's. who has ran these gears and what are you opinions? why i am asking is cuz, in my 610 i swapped 3.70's for 3.36's and to my surprise. its now quicker and faster with the 3.36's. i don't want to buy anything or pull it apart with out some different perspectives.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 73 Running (Enjoy this set up) <--- Good Ratio , Good enough pick up for DD , over all not too bad ! ( would be happy leaving this way ,,, a mild cam makes it worth it :cool: :) )

*L28 w/mild cam

*4-spd

*p195/60/r14 tires (Bravius)

*3.54 rear

This spring (when monies available) will be swapping/trying <--- Again I am street driving only ,,, looking for more pickup and make-up with RPM drop via 5-speed upgrade ;) ( Although I have a feeling I will like the 3.54 the best ? we shall see ! Need money for bushings , strut hats , mount , etc... before swap :rolleyes: :lol: )

*L28 w/mild cam

*280zx 5-speed

*p195/60/r14 tires (Bravius)

*3.90 Diff

I think the S12 Turbos had 3.90's, didn't they? all the NA S12's I've seen are R180, and from what I've read are 4.11 gears.

nope, the US spec CA18 turbo S12's came with a 4:11 R200.

I had one and sold it to Nelson cuz I found a subi LSD instead .

all the CA20 cars had R180's in them with standard ratios.

well i am looking to change out the 3.36's for a lower ratio for my wife's 260Z. i see there is a couple options out there from 3.54, 3.70 and 3.90's. who has ran these gears and what are you opinions? why i am asking is cuz, in my 610 i swapped 3.70's for 3.36's and to my surprise. its now quicker and faster with the 3.36's. i don't want to buy anything or pull it apart with out some different perspectives.

A 3.36 ratio means that for every turn of the rear wheels the engine is turning 3.36 times and doing that much work over that distance. If you were to swap in a 3.90 rear your motor can now turn 3.90 times over the same distance, doing more work. A higher number rear end will always accelerate faster than a lower. No way the 3.36s are quicker for take offs. Did you check the ratio?

The 610 came with an R-160 diffs and 3.70 and 3.90s in the automatics. I don't know of any that go lower than 3.70. The Z car, Maxima, 720 and S12s have R-180 that are lower and higher.

I ran a 3.54 in my turbo Z, it was a good ratio to have room to build boost but Id prob run a 3.70 in an N/A street car.

my auto-x car is getting 4.44 :rofl:

Skip. I ran a 4:63 for a short time. then went to a 4:38 Car pulls really hard. but flattens out on the big track stuff. great fot auto X.

A 5-speed would be really nice to have for a 3.9 or 3.7 in the Z.

I would say go low like 3.9 They are easier to find than 4.11

Your 260Z will likely have an R180 so sticking with that will make the swap fairly simple.

I still have the original 3.54 in my turbo Z and it seems really tall. I suppose it would help if I had more than stock boost.

A 3.36 ratio means that for every turn of the rear wheels the engine is turning 3.36 times and doing that much work over that distance. If you were to swap in a 3.90 rear your motor can now turn 3.90 times over the same distance, doing more work. A higher number rear end will always accelerate faster than a lower. No way the 3.36s are quicker for take offs. Did you check the ratio?

The 610 came with an R-160 diffs and 3.70 and 3.90s in the automatics. I don't know of any that go lower than 3.70. The Z car, Maxima, 720 and S12s have R-180 that are lower and higher.

well i have been playing with gears for 23+ years, and i understand the mathematics. the gear ratio was just too low, " they may be 3.90 since it was an automatic car" with the short tire of 22". it reved out way too quick. "like a 4X4 in low" there is something about going too low in gear ratios. it did scoot but the it my have only been quicker out of 1st and 2nd. though my mile per hour is higher based on the fact i can now enter traffic on the freeway ahead of the speed of traffic.

If I remember right you told me you were going to run 16" wheels. So I think with a taller tire you might be good with the 3:9 or 4:11.

3:9 for street use would work well.

You saw my car and my wheels. I am running 245/50/16 and have a 3.70 in the back. Plenty of scoot off boost, but 1st and 2nd gear are useless if I punch it.

mmmmm grids

car5.JPG

me and Hugh where just talking about your wheels last night Bo :lol:

The diff was in my 610. The last relic of a bygone era..., before Iraq, before my back injury... <_< (not badmouthing the swap out, just the injury...)

I personally checked the ratio. R-180 3.36s. Came from a '79 280ZX.

You saw my car and my wheels. I am running 245/50/16 and have a 3.70 in the back. Plenty of scoot off boost, but 1st and 2nd gear are useless if I punch it.

Bo

That's cheating.(BOOST)!!!!!!

well the wife and i decided to race her scion XB 2010 up against the 260Z sadly the Z got its @ss handed to it. :angry: i was driving it to maximize the Z's potential. the Z had the advantage until half way through 3rd and the XB started waking by. so i will have to definitely get to work on the 260. cant have the wife's grocery-getter faster. though i got to give props to scion for making the worlds fastest toaster :P