Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

And my car is back together to go to work tomorrow! And wow, what a difference with closing the door. It latches so effortlessly now! And now I dont feel like I am going to break something in the near future! Maybe one day I will attempt to actually rebuild the lower hinge and put that spring in! Maybe...

Oh and putting a door back on kinda sucks, but only when you are trying to thread the bolts on.

Driving the pins out of the lower hinge took some thinking.  I had to cut the pin down for the top hinge.

Now for the passenger side, which I might say the door is behaving much worse.

So Drivers door got this part number:

IMG_0190.JPG

Pin and bushings (and notice my new bench vise bought to do this job!)
IMG_0191.JPG

pressing bushing in
IMG_0192.JPG

bushings in
IMG_0193.JPG

Pressing pin in.
IMG_0194.JPG

Hey doors on and aligned!
IMG_0195.JPG

What the boot looks like installed. I like it! 
IMG_0196.JPG

And the reason for the boot so low, there happens to be an opening right here, so its easy to feed the wires through!
IMG_0204.JPG

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought this was a great install and I should do it as well... then I realized that I have no wires in my doors so it would be pointless. Looks like it works for you though! :thumbup:

Haha. Yea, no wires helps. I already had the speaker wires, but that was ugly...

Still new door hinges does wonders.

I did that already... well I didnt replace them... but now I need to replace the driver side one, I broke it.

Anyways, just pull your door pins out. Im sure they are rusty. I just sanded mine clean and they worked flawlessly again! working dome lights are very nice!

I think I need to replace the dome light itself... I think I remember the light coming on at one point with the passenger side open, but the drivers side pin is pushed all the way in and is broken so it needs to be replaced for sure. Should be a cheap endevour... just something I havent gotten around to. Maybe I should do all these really small projects instead of these large projects.

Its definitely good to do the little projects, gets them out of the way, and the motivation up.

Like I reconditioned my dome light. I had to drill out one of the rivets, clean the contacts, and then re rivet it together. Multi meter let me know which contact was at fault.

Got around to the front passenger door today. This went more smoothly despite somehow loosing one of the hole saws...  And really I dont get it but sometimes the chuck on my drill seems out of balance. Its less than a year old :/

Same story as above, new hinges, boot installed. Door doesnt latch as nicely as my drivers door, but I am gonna blame it on the actual lock in the door. Sounds like I may be getting around to lubing all of those up. I did manage to move the door like 1mm more forward, which is needed so I can move the rear passenger door forward. That door has lots of issues, I kinda just want a new one...

I think I have decided that I will start to rewire the car, but start with just the addition of the power windows and door locks. Gotta hit up the JY for the box.

I am currently making a new wiring diagram for my car; I havent yet started the actual diagram though. I have a list of all things that get hooked up electrically (including things that I plan to add). I then made a list grouping things into circuits on the car. I am planning to have each type of circuit have a different color, like my windows and locks being purple wires, and the lights be green or red wires... RIWIRE.COM has good pricing on their wire...

Anyways pictures.

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

• Like 2

My fuse box I picked up. From an E30 BMW. I liked the number of Relays and fuses it held, and the shape. Might be a pain to rewire half of it (I found out that not all the terminals are locked in, but held in by the board underneath. This means I will have to make up a board for the the pins to sit on. I also need a hotter soldering iron to get things free.

IMG_0222.JPG

And here is my power door locks wiring diagram. One day it will be part of a larger diagram for the whole car, and I will take it to FedexKinkys for making a big copy, and helping to digitize it. I just wish I had a drafting table.

IMG_0223.JPG

Now onto the power windows!

And as soon as my paycheck hits tonight, I am buying a new tool...

Your car is looking great.  I really like those wheels - what are they?

Thanks! The wheels are Weds Bravaria II 15x7 Offset unknown, but I guess about +5. They are true 2 piece, and are light weight. I like em!

A welder... !!!!

Unfortunately I dont have 220 in my garage, and my panel is full, so I cant even make a sub box easily. So 110 it is... I think I am gonna go with the Eastwood unit, as its cheap, awesome reviews, and has more than just 4 voltage settings (is that the correct term?)

No, im not gonna attack my car right away. Gotta learn first! And make sure I can do pretty welds!

A welder... !!!!

Unfortunately I dont have 220 in my garage, and my panel is full, so I cant even make a sub box easily. So 110 it is... I think I am gonna go with the Eastwood unit, as its cheap, awesome reviews, and has more than just 4 voltage settings (is that the correct term?)

No, im not gonna attack my car right away. Gotta learn first! And make sure I can do pretty welds!

The eastwood 135 has great reviews man. I have 220 so I just bought a Eastwood 175.. but 135 should be fine for any auto stuff I'd think!