Ka dohc head on l20b

RAlly_DatoB210

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to sleeve the block. 90mm is too big for an L18.

We built a motor for my brother once that was an L18 block with a Z22 crank and I don't remember what pistons, but it came out to 2150 thereabouts. I think it used L18 rods. The torque was very pronounced. To get the crank in that block we even had to turn down the crank throws, not just the main journals.

Well the displacement is listed as 1998cc ? Assuming it was a 78mm L18 stroke you would have to use a 90.3mm bore.

If an L20B crank was turned down, you could probably adjust the stroke at the same time. They were running custom rods and pistons anyway. An 80.5mm stroke would give about 2 liters displacement on an 89mm piston.

Hmmm..... I'm thinking that crank and those rods in a Z22 block with VG30 pistons ...aw heck.. And a KA-DE head conversion why not ??

You might have trouble finding a good set of 50+mm sidedrafts tho, but the 45s are easy to find and the 50 or 55s are kinda "boggy" on the bottom end for street use

But lots of efi and turbo options with that KA head

Got carbs and a couple cams and ported heads ,I know how to jett or choke them down thanks , the 50mm Solexs have red plastic factory stacks , my deal is a built L-series that runs and need to use old parts , have a couple L18s only will run on higher octane cat pee here but want Z20 bottom end for various reasons.

Cool .. it's your build.. Thought you posted here in the KA head on L series thread for comments

Who knew?

Those 50 mm solex carbs are rare I have a couple of friends who race that would have been all over them with offers of cash not that many years ago but they run efi now

Thanks did not even realize that was not drilled also need a dip stick for it ,

I got this thread too side tracked on motor ---I really like single cam KAs but need to use my L parts .

My motor build is going on other than Datsun projects in Alleycatgarage a So Cal shop section

Wow another person claiming L16 and 18 cranks are a drop into any L20B or Z block

I assume he means after you find someone that can spray weld and finish grind the smaller main bearings

Did I mention this head swap had been done before??

And if you were to compare any Nissan 4 cyl to a Toyota 4AG it would be the FJ The KA-DE is a better comparison to the 4AF with its narrow valve angle ...the cam on bucket thing isn't new and certainly isn't unique to the KA24DE

I'm always amazed how the 16 valve KA head is touted as the best Nissan 4cyl "ever" when its head is nearly identical to a 16v GA head...

and what's so special about that?

De-stroked KA?????? How is a Z22 engine with Z20 crank and a KA head on it a de-stroked KA??? All three are just Z series engines with KA heads on them. De-stroked? that's a stretch.

Five bolt L cranks don't fit six bolt L and Z blocks. And none of them, will fit the KA block.

Here's way...

U20 (L20B) crank sitting on my KA24E crank girdle.

L20BcrankinKAE001Large.jpg

L/Z and KA mains

L20BcrankinKAE002Large2.jpg

• 1 month later...