• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

blogger-image--1899383130.jpg

blogger-image-1827639285.jpg

blogger-image--1075351162.jpg

blogger-image--503341852.jpg

Old thread revival.

I did find this today at the local Pick N Pull. It's probably waaaay too wide for the 521 but it made me want to pull it out just to have. Haha

Someone who knows, and can confirm - or prove me wrong...........

But isn't this an H190, and won't this diff (3rd member, not the entire axle assy.) also bolt into a 520, 521, and a 620??

The Pathfinder only had a 4 cylinder Z24i for about 3 years and after that a VG30. Have never seen a Pathfinder without a V6, Very rare to see a 4 cylinder in one. The 4 cylinder Pathfinder used a C-200 just like the 4x4 720. There were no H-190 Pathfinders.

The D21-Hardbody did have 4 cylinder 2wd that did use the H-190. For '88 through '92 there was an LSD OPTION H-190. It will have the sticker shown in the picture above. Remember it was an option, so the majority are open diffs. If you find a D-21 Hardbody that has a 4 cylinder and 2wd you pretty much have an H-190. Take a rag and wipe the grease off the back side of the pumpkin and if there is an orange sticker you might be in luck.

• Like 1

The Pathfinder only had a 4 cylinder Z24i for about 3 years and after that a VG30. Have never seen a Pathfinder without a V6, Very rare to see a 4 cylinder in one. The 4 cylinder Pathfinder used a C-200 just like the 4x4 720. There were no H-190 Pathfinders.

The D21-Hardbody did have 4 cylinder 2wd that did use the H-190. For '88 through '92 there was an LSD OPTION H-190. It will have the sticker shown in the picture above. Remember it was an option, so the majority are open diffs. If you find a D-21 Hardbody that has a 4 cylinder and 2wd you pretty much have an H-190. Take a rag and wipe the grease off the back side of the pumpkin and if there is an orange sticker you might be in luck.

Thanks for the clarifications. It seems I need to be spoon fed.

Last question....... All the info I can seem to find points that ALL D21 optional H190 LSD that I would be looking for are 31 splines, whereas the 620 is 29 spline?

1. Is the H190 LSD in a D21 only 31 splines?

2. If so, What's the best way to use it in a 620?

Thanks again, Mike.

• Like 1

The truck H-190s are all 29 spline from the '65 520 through the '02 Extrerra and probably today if they are still using it.

Car H-190s are 23 spline with the exception of the '81-'82 S110 (200sx) which were 29 spline.

The early D21 and WD21  H-233s are the 31 spline but around '94 this may have changed.

If you can find an H-190 with LSD it will fit the older trucks.

• Like 1

The truck H-190s are all 29 spline from the '65 520 through the '02 Extrerra and probably today if they are still using it.

Car H-190s are 23 spline with the exception of the '81-'82 S110 (200sx) which were 29 spline.

The early D21 and WD21  H-233s are the 31 spline but around '94 this may have changed.

If you can find an H-190 with LSD it will fit the older trucks.

Thank you for the clarification, once again.

We always have a boat load of D21s here in my local junk yards. I think the chances of finding one may be slightly better. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Early toyota 4x4 diffs are 55 1/2 wide lots of lsd options lockers etc etc i have narrowed 2 of them down to 521 width one even with pathfinder rear disc brakes 6 lug and 4.10 gears stock.

IMG_20130315_172321_zps07a5aa89.jpg

Wow, fancy!

I'm OK with the open H190 in my 620 now, and I like to keep things simple. But if I were to stumble across an LSD H190 in the local junkyard I would be all over it.

If you keep looking thru the yards every week to look at the new hardbody arrivals, eventually you will find one, I did, but they are not always marked as LSD as the one I found wasn't.

I actually walked by the truck and thought that the axle looked out of place, I spun the drum and the other one turned the same direction, so I walked away thinking it was welded, so I found everything I wanted, a C200 carrier, a set of 4X4 leafs off the same truck,  a 521 windshield, and something else I cannot remember, then I went back to that truck and stood there looking at it, there was a 620 just across the isle, I decided to drop the carrier and take a look, when I dropped it out I could not believe it, there was just no way I found a H190 LSD, so I kept looking at it and then decided to drop a 620 axle and slip it in the LSD, and it fit but I still didn't believe it, so I pulled both axles out of the 620, dropped the carrier and installed the LSD in the 620 housing, then slid an axle in and it went all the way home, I dropped it back out and put it in the wheel barrel and went and paid for everything, I got a good deal that day, I told the guy about the windshield but I think I got that for free, that day was the only day I can think of that I got a good deal in all the years I have been going there, especially after it was taken over by Schnitzer Steel.

I did have to take the flange off the 620 carrier and install it on the LSD as it had a huge flange on it.

You just have to spin every H190 axle you see on any truck it is on, sometimes you will find one where it has no business being.

By the way, the one I found had 350 gears.

They are NLA, But I'd say it's worth a shot browsing the yards for one. No harm done.

• Like 1

Datsun 521 aluminum 3rd member H190 is 52 9/16 wms to wms

You have narrowed a Toyota axle, correct?

That might be the easiest (not that narrowing an axle is easy) option. However, Toyota carriers are readily available in multiple forms - open, LSD, lockers and spools.

Don't quote me on this as This isn't definitive but I've heard that the MKIII Supra carrier from a turbo or sport model will fit into those housings. Those are the clutch-type LSDs.

It might be worth looking into if one is serious about adding Limited Slip to their pickup.