Posi-Trac Rear End?

I have a 1970 521 pickup.

I'm looking for a Posi-Trac, or limited slip, rear end for the truck. Has anyone here done this yet? Type? model? Source? Price$$ ?

Just trying to get some sort of real grip for the Li' Hustler...

I'm in Eugene, OR; by the way-

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$900 is too much and welding is too unsafe, but Nissan made them for other trucks. You'll have to look or search around. Most yards probably won't know it's LSD so get it in writing first.:D

H-190 LSDs

Try '88 and '89 Z24i auto and 4 speed (yes there was an FS5W71C 4 speed!) 3.889 ratio

'88-'92 Z24i 5 speed or KA24 auto or 4 speed 3.70 ratio

'90-'92 KA24E 5 speed 3.545 ratio

'92.5-'93 KA24E auto 3.70 ratio

Basically any D-21 for those years with a 4 cyl motor. To check for LSD carry a rag and wipe the grease off it's bum and look for this sticker...

Pathfinder--D-21conversion034Large.jpg

Or...

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

Hopefully the spline count matches the earlier 521/620/720. I think it will as long as it's not a VG motor.

• Like 1

THX-

Awesome info. I'll start the digging and let you know what I get.

I'm gonna also try matching Nissan wheel base/width; and see what I get.

It's my 2nd Datsun- but my first project. I'm not attached to 'Posi-trac' Just that my other rig is a 72 Cheyenne, so that's what fell out my mouth.

As far as use for the truck- street racer w/ no emissions :cool:

Again- thx for all the ideas...

• Like 1

720s are cable also :D They didnt start that electronic shit till way later i think late 90s early 2000s

Ooops, was meaning to ask if the D-21s are cable or electric. I think the Z24 is cable and the KA24 is electric?

Datzenmike -- Is the 7.70 gear ratio correct? thats some low ass gearing.

• Like 1

Ha of course I meant 3.70 ratio not rock crawler.

The D-21 switched to electronic speedo for the '94 model year in the 2wd truck FS5W71C.

The 200sx had the mechanical speedo pinion but when it became the 240sx in '89 the electric sensor was added to the car FS5W71C.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
H-190 LSDs

Try '88 and '89 Z24i auto and 4 speed (yes there was an FS5W71C 4 speed!) 3.889 ratio

'88-'92 Z24i 5 speed or KA24 auto or 4 speed 3.70 ratio

'90-'92 KA24E 5 speed 3.545 ratio

'92.5-'93 KA24E auto 3.70 ratio

Basically any D-21 for those years with a 4 cyl motor. To check for LSD carry a rag and wipe the grease off it's bum and look for this sticker...

Gee...I don't know about that....... my 1990 has a VERY noticeable peg leg<_<

I think if your looking for a LSD H190 try the 4x4 models, but I haven't ever actually found ANY H190 LSD, I think LSD's are in H233B V6's only, we didn't get many 4cyl 4x4 D21s.

But if they ARE in H190 try the 4wd models I don't think you'll find them in 2wd models, not here in Canada anyway.

• Like 1

Sorry Cam forgot to mention it was a option only on Hardbody 2wd with 4 cylinder as only they had the H-190. V6 2wd were C-200 I believe and all 4X4 were H-233. :blush:

The C-200 probably had an LSD option too, I will check. H-233 definitely have an LSD option, I have one. Only seen it in 4.375 and 4.625 ratios.

Have never seen a Z24i in a Pathfinder, but they were made. I don't think they ever came with H-190 but had a C-200 instead.

• Like 1

Well your absoutley right about the 4cyl 4x4s having C200's not H190A's, but while looking that up I couldn't find any LSD part No's for the H190 or C200 and the 88 and 92 FSManuals only show LSD info for the H233B. That aluminum case H190 is not from a D21 its probably from a roadster. That wont fit the axles in any pickup.

I looked everywhere years ago for a LSD H190 and other than the RARE roadster one, I have never seen a official listing, or a picture (of a pickup one), or any other proof of factory installed one, I ve owned 8 or 9 pick-ups; 521s 720s and D21s all 4cyl, not one LSD not even the SE models. If they were optional they must have been expensive. I dont remember what was in my Z24i Pathfinder as I didn't have it too long, I flipped it, due to black ice on the "Coke" Hwy, we only had it for 6 months or so. The manual says it was a C200.

But that does not mean they don't exist somewhere, in a 240RS or Sylvia, (cause they do) but I still don't believe they ever came to Canada in any pickup trucks, or 'goons.

So If anyone finds a PICKUP one post a pic. of the diff and the aluminum ID plate on the firewall, and that may give us all a way to ID donor vehicles.

I did find two H190 LSD specs (and 4 part numbers) in a NISMO catalogue, for NISMO LSD assys, they came with either 24mm dia x 23 spline or 30mm dia x29 spline, so there appears to be three different types (incl. the roadster SAE model). I'll bet thats what the "A" stands for, to differentiate it from the H190 type due to different axles.

• Like 1

you could always go for the pathfinder H-233 setup...

*wheel mounting surface to wheel mount surface is 58.5"

*it comes with disc brakes (so you could have drums in the front and disc in the rear)

*massive sway bar that will probably lift the inside rear tire on a hard corner (not really good, but pretty cool)

*i found mine the first time i went out to look for one at pick n pull

*if you want to do a five link you could use everything on the rear end, just will bracketry onto your pickup to recieve the link system

just my thoughts, and findings

• Like 1

The '86.5 and up VG D-21 is the same but already leaf spring. The H-233 is massive (larger than a Ford 9") and comes in 4.375 and 4.625 ratios. I have one from a WD-21 Pathfinder.... 4.625 LSSD and disc brake. Two people might be able to lift it.

• Like 1

The '86.5 and up VG D-21 is the same but already leaf spring. The H-233 is massive (larger than a Ford 9") and comes in 4.375 and 4.625 ratios. I have one from a WD-21 Pathfinder.... 4.625 LSSD and disc brake. Two people might be able to lift it.

drop that big SOB in the back and drop it off on the way to Canby next year!! :D

• Like 1