Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josh I am by no means a pro fabricator but I had issues with warping on the first couple headers I built.  My solution was to shim the middle and pre warp it the wrong direction just slightly.  Then bolt it down to keep it straight like you have done.  My shim was just a piece of I think 22 gauge steel.  Just something I learned building turbo stuff.  I then use a big ass belt sander to make sure it was flat.  

• Like 1

Jeff,

Did you weld the tubes complete before tacking and welding to both flanges? How thick of anplate did you bolt to?

"Make sure that the flange is firmly bolted to a scrap head or 1 inch base plate to prevent warpage. Yes, even 1/2 inch plate will warp."

yep all tacked up before final welding.  It was only the head side.  The turbo side wasn't bad, I still sanded it just to make it perfect.  The head side I tack welded down to the 1" thick welding table at work.  Maybe it was the order I welded it or something.  Let me know how yours goes.  

On the couple of headers I have done, I fully welded the runners before attaching them to the flange.  I didn't bolt anything down when I welded the flange up, and did have a little warping, but a few passes on the belt sander made it nice and flat again.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  I love all the custom work that is going into this car.

• Like 2

On the couple of headers I have done, I fully welded the runners before attaching them to the flange. I didn't bolt anything down when I welded the flange up, and did have a little warping, but a few passes on the belt sander made it nice and flat again.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I love all the custom work that is going into this car.

Thanks Duke. Glad people are still viewing all my updates. Been a long time but its been a fun journey. One step at a time ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. If you do that you have every joint you weld pulling in a different direction. That will leave you with a warped ass manifold.

You weld out the collector. Flat sand it. Weld out the tubes separate. Then weld them one by one to the flanges.

• 2 weeks later...

Its all programmed and ready to make. My coworker is gonna bang it out for me. Its low priority so I'm not rushing him.

Well I'm interested in one so let me know if you plan on selling or sharing your program. My homie can machine it also. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm interested in one so let me know if you plan on selling or sharing your program. My homie can machine it also.

Thanks

I'll let you know. What's your timeline for needing one?

Haven't done much lately. Family got a nasty bug we've been fighting.

I did find something out. When I was tig'ing the collector the tungsten was acting funny and it just wasn't welding right. Well I come to find out the argon bottle I borrowed for back purge was a argon/carbon dioxide mix! Doh! My buddy didn't look when he grabbed it and I didn't think to check. Welds look OK but explains why they didn't stack well.

Oh well. Moving on.... Still got a lot of welding to do. Hopefully finish it this week after work..

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)