69 Datsun 510 Street/Track Build

jputz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright just got back from the JY. Slim pickings around here but there were a few engine/trans combinations that I was interested in.

Here they are let me know what you guys think.

A dozen or so hardbody trucks with KA24E's and 5 speeds

2 240sx with KA24DE with 5 speeds

2 300s with VG30's with 5 speeds

1 Z22s with trans code F4W71BHF43

1 Z24 with trans code FS5W71B

Alright I dont know much about the last two but they were both in pre 85 datsun/nissan trucks. One of the 300zx had DROVE IN written on windshield so I am assuming that the engine was running when it was scrapped. All of these engine appeared to be 95%+ complete. They do let you pull your own engines and trans here and their prices arent bad either, $200 for the engines and $100 for the trans.

Also would it be in my benefit to grab the struts off of the 300s and if so how hard is the swap?

Anything else I should grab off these vehicles?

alright here are some more pictures.....

A little rattle can black paint to cover up some bare metal.

CIMG5127.JPG

CIMG5128.JPG

No More Seats. Anyone want to buy some?

CIMG5129.JPG

Can Anyone tell me how to get this ring off?

CIMG5376.JPG

CIMG5377.JPG

Well here comes the rain have to stop for the day maybe do some more tomorrow. 15min a day right!!

Is that a hole in your rear floor? I have a decent rear pan section if you need.

And for the shifter there is a bolt on the bottom side of the "Ring"....Take off the black metal plate on the trans. tunnel if you need more room for the wrench.

• 1 month later...

Alright guys I know its been a while since I updated and the 510 sits in the same position that it is in the last pictures. The reason nothing has been done is the fact that I made a deal with the old lady that I would finish the living room remodel before I started on the car. Well the floors are now done and I tore some more shetrock off the walls around the fireplace which will be replaced and retiled tomorrow. Now anyone good at finishing shetrock and painting want to come give me a hand? Anyways she also said that she would buy me an engine an trans for x-mas as long as they werent more than $500. So I guess its a win-win. She gets her remodel and I get a drivetrain for the dime. I promise more pics when I get done with the living room.

philcas1987 - think its VG Time!!!!!!!!

banzai510 - yeah red would have been ideal but all I had at the house at the time was black and I needed something to cover it before it started raining.

sick620 - not to sure has. It has no fuel system at the moment. Gonna pull it, rebuild it, and sell it to recoup some of the cost of installing the VG.

68Datsun510 - Havent decided yet might keep it to sell with the engine.

Alright guys going to the self serve tomorrow to pull my VG/trans out of an 86 NA 300zx!!!!!! Gotta love half price sales. Anyways is there anything else I should grab off this car. Gonna get engine, trans, wiring, and ecu. Should I bother with the struts or spindles or anything else? Please let me know ASAP.

• 3 months later...

Well started the bodywork yesterday.

Damn i forgot how much paint can get built up on a 42 year old car. I think that there was 5-6 different colors on the hood and decklid. But no rust in those two areas.

Heres the process I used in case anyone needed ideas.

1. Cleaned with soap and water.

2. Sanded with 80grit sanding discs on my orbital sander to rough it up.

3. Applyed a liberal coat of Jassco paint stripper. (Let sit for 30-40min)

4. Scrapped with plastic scrapper.

5. Rinesd throughly.

6. Sanded with 40grit sanding discs.

7. Repeated untill all paint and surface rust was gone. Took 4-5 coats of stripper.

Took me about 5hrs to do the hood and decklid.

Painted with two coats of rustoleum rattle can flat black.

Will try to get some pics up tonight if its not to dark when I get home.

Plans are as follows.

1. Finish stripping the outside of the car and get it primed.

2. Pull the engine and trans out and sand and paint engine bay.

3. Clean and paint trunk.

4. Remove Interior, clean, install new floor pans, and paint.

Oh yeah Where the Hell are all the bolts that hold the fender on? I have removed/broken 10 and the damn thing wont budge!!!

Alright guys here are some more pics for yalls fix!!!!!!!!

After Stripping and priming the Hood.

CIMG5668.jpg

After Stripping and Priming the Trunk Lid.

CIMG5669.jpg

Fender Off.

CIMG5662.jpg

Fenderless!!

CIMG5663.jpg

Another shot. Do I need to keep this rubber piece? Its seen better days!!

CIMG5664.jpg

Fender after about an hours work!!

CIMG5665.jpg

Should I cut this out and patch it or just bondo it!

CIMG5666.jpg

Alright well now its raining and i cant get back out there today. Got to strip the backside of the fender so that I can work on shaving the blinker hole and some of the other little rust holes on the fender. Next on the agenda is the pass door!!

I would keep the rubber, soak it in a bucket of hot soapy water for a week. Those are hard to fine and they keep the fender from rattling around.

The body part could be bondo as long as it isn't to large, my dad used to use jb weld on sma spots like that's and power sandpit smooth, that way a Maganet will still stick if you resell it.

Lol

• 1 year later...

Alright guys time to bring this thread back from the dead...

As some of you may know my 620 spun a rod bearing a few weeks ago so I am in the need of some transportation. So last night I decided to give the old 510 a look. Well most of the same issues still apply, like I need floor pans badly. I decided I would see, for shits and giggles, if I could get the L16 in it started. Well after throwing a battery in it and cleaning the terminals and a few grounds, VROOM she fired right up and sounded strong!!! Had to make a makeshift fuel tank, Coke bottle, and swap out the ignition switch, but shes ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now onto the important stuff... I need to know what factory wheels work on the 510. Anybody got any suggestions?

Might start driving her this weekend if I can find some sheet metal and some wheels. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

Alright question time?

A previous owner, somewhere down the line, took the fuel level sensor out of the gas tank and also took the tank out of the car and never put it back in!!! Well I guess it was my stupidity for not covering the holes in the tank and a mouse or something got in there and made a nice nest. Now I have gotten about 75% of the crap, leaves, sticks, bits of cloth, and what not out, but my problem is that there is a baffel on the far side from the filler neck that is full of stuff. I cant reach it with my shop vac and I can get anything in there to break it up. Does anyone have any suggestions??????

Please Help this is the last step in getting the drivetrain complete!!!!

Also if anyone has a lead on some wheels on the East Coast let me know.

Next Question...

Do you think that sheet metal from the hood of a 02 Nissan Sentra will be thick enough to use as floor pans? I need to rebuild the seat mounts so i will renforce them appropriately.

Thanks guys in advance let me know what you think.

Josh

• 1 month later...

Alright guys I picked up some goodies this weekend...

On with the pics....

Sorry about the blurry photos....

e3f50466.jpg

a8ff493d.jpg

What kind of distributor is this?? Will try to get a better pic tonight.

1e1e3ee3.jpg

And the new shoes!!

e89ffd07.jpg

Now its time to button it up and throw it in the Dime.