69 Datsun 510 Street/Track Build

jputz

Hello Ratsun

Since this is my first post I hope that I am putting it in the right spot.

I just purchased a 1969 Datsun 510 that is a 95% complete car. It is in a little rough shape but its something that I could afford, and being on the east coast, where they are harder and harder to find, I thought it was a steal. I will find out for sure tomorrow, when I complete the 905 mile drive to pick it up (yeah thats one way). As any of the other GA ratsun members can tell you they are few and far between over here. Hopefully this trip will be uneventful and I will be able to add some pics here on Sunday/Monday when I get back.

I would like to build a nice DD that will see a little track time so here is my order of operations so to say.

1) I am going to start with body and suspension work first. I am a Ford Chassis Master Tech so this should pose to big of a problem.

2) Electrical. I will probably have a few questions when it comes to this one, but if I can figure these new systems out I dont think that a 40 year old system will be to complicated.

3) Engine and drivetrain. I have been lurking arround here for a few weeks now and reading up on all the swaps that have been done and I am leaning towards the KA24DE swap. I am looking for 200+whp and I think that this is going to be the best engine for reliability and power numbers that I am looking for.

This project should be a lot of fun and with the slow time at work coming up should keep me busy this winter. Cant wait to get the car home and start on it, I have be chomping at the bit all week waiting for the weekend so I can go get. I know you all will be a great help and cant wait to help someone else out. Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

Josh

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a KAT just make sure to upgrade the pistons and the fuel and timing map at least. Easy 300WHP and a blast to drive. That's if you have the skills required to do the swap.

Lets see some pictures.

Alright everyone after 28hrs in the truck she is finally home. A total of 1806 miles. Here are some Pics, more to come once I start tearing her apart,

Filling up for the trip home.

CIMG5052.JPG

Another shot before we left.

CIMG5053.JPG

I think the front tag is appropriate!

CIMG5054.JPG

Finally home!!!!!

CIMG5055.JPG

Long lost relative maybe???

CIMG5056.JPG

Finally off the trailer!!

CIMG5059.JPG

No rust under the hood

CIMG5060.JPG

Anyone want some front seats...

CIMG5061.JPG

Think I might need a new dash pad

CIMG5062.JPG

No rust in the trunk

CIMG5063.JPG

Damn kids!!!!!!!! Both Passenger Side Windows Shot Out

CIMG5066.JPG

Ok thats it for now. What do yall think? Anyone want to buy some rims?

ok heres my problem. I want a little more power than the L16 is gonna give me. I have a KA24E in my 89 s13 that is in need of a rebuild and would be the perfect doner for a KA-T build, but I want to get the 510 on the road as quick as I can.

Should I pull the KA out of the 240 and rebuild it stock and then slowly accumulate parts for the turbo upgrade? Would like some feedback from some of you guys that have stock KA24Es vs KA-T. Obviously the turbo setup is goning to be a hellofalot more fun to drive and it is probably what I will end up going with but it will take some time to do it right. How hard is it to turbo a stock KA once I have it rebuilt. I am used to building strong 350s, 302s, and the like, but this will be my first turbod setup... I loved the power in my s13 when it was stock but had an oil pump failure on the way to work one morning and now it is in need of a serious rebuild. Also I will have to pickup a 5 speed tranny as the s13 is an auto :(.

So do I rebuild it stock or do I rebuild for turbo? Thanks for any help that you guys can give.

Also would anyone be interested in buying the L16 and a rust free fuel tank.

Loving those wheels, lol.

Pumpkn, you need to pic those up. I haven't seen a skated dime like that in a lot of years, lol.

BTW, jputz, you should be able to strap 2 boxes of the wheels together, to save Pumpkn on the shipping. (so go to any tire shop and ask for 4 boxes that will fit the wheels, and then strap pairs of boxes together, so it's only 2 actual packages being shipped). Pretty much everybody does it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time for an update.....

Stripped the pass side front fender, well kinda stripped it was trying out some paint stripper I picked up at lowes, want to strip as much of it as I can myself so that I can save money and time when I take it to the media blasters. I got almost all the paint off and found out that there is a bunch of bondo on that fender. Upon further inspection found that it had been hit on that side! Not to much damage though and everything looks reparible.

Also got it up off the ground and sitting on some blocks. Took the wheels off and gonna get the tires off of them so that I can box them up and weigh them. Pumpkin check your PMs I sent you one this morning. Gonna start tearing the suspension out of it tonight and try to get the fender off so I can get a better look at the damage.

Dont worry guys I will post some pics tonight so you all can see the progress. Its gonna be a long strange trip but I still think this dime is still worth it.

Josh

Ok heres some of the pics, battery went dead so I didnt get all of them. Will try to get some more when I get home from work.

Pass front fender after one coat and 10mins waiting

CIMG5118.JPG

Another Shot

CIMG5119.JPG

Pass Door Shot

CIMG5120.JPG

Close up of Fender

CIMG5121.JPG

CIMG5122.JPG

A Little Blurry 6.95 at Lowes

CIMG5123.JPG

CIMG5124.JPG

CIMG5125.JPG

CIMG5126.JPG

Now it is up on blocks so I can get the fender off and see what hidden surprises lie underneath. Gonna strip somemore off it this weekend. I didnt think it was to bad for $7 and 20 min of work. Oh and broke 8 out 10 bolts I tried to remove, gotta love 40 years of rust!!!!! Gonna buy stock in PB Blaster before I try anymore.

alright here are some more pictures.....

A little rattle can black paint to cover up some bare metal.

CIMG5127.JPG

CIMG5128.JPG

No More Seats. Anyone want to buy some?

CIMG5129.JPG

Can Anyone tell me how to get this ring off?

CIMG5376.JPG

CIMG5377.JPG

Well here comes the rain have to stop for the day maybe do some more tomorrow. 15min a day right!!