Title

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need a notarized release of interest from the last legal owner to go with that receipt.

You can apply for a lost title, like Kiz said it takes three years to get the title but you can register it and drive it for those 3 years. Got the title for my jeep that way. Still have the jeep 4 years after getting the title in the mail. :D

Well I can tell ya that here in Calif. it is not "too hard".....Ray (Ray's 74) and I have done many "lost title" motorcycles, and come to think of it "Ol Yeller" was also "lost title"...as long as the vehicle doesn't show up in the DMV data base you are good to go....Just tell em you have a Bill o' sale and no title....(don't have a Bill of Sale?....oops gotta get one...even just a piece of paper that says "i sold this to you for $xx.xx ...works...)

hoop1 - need bill of sale from the PO, with the VIN on it!

hoop2 - stand in line at the DMV

hoop3&4 - still waiting in line...

hoop5 - get told the VIN is purged from their system

hoop6 - take to the CHP (ca hiway patrol) responsible for verifing VIN

hoop7- stand in line at the DMV

hoop8 - receive copy that the info is being sent to sacramento for review, "this will take about 3 mos..."

hoop9 - pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (cost me ~$70)

hoop 10 - still waiting, cant have it on the road during this process...

hoop 11 - after 11 weeks i got the new title and a week later tags for the plates=legal on the road :D

• 10 months later...

this is fucking weak... i bought a 521 and have been pulled over 4 times cuz of tags and its starting to get old! the worst part is that i live in o.r. and its titled in w.a., i have never met "the last know owner" but i just got done writing the guy a letter asking him to help me. what do you guys think the chances are of the dude helping me get the title so the cop will leave alone???

2eDeYe;34238'']Used to work that way in WA. Now you have to have a notorized release of interest if you don't have the actual title. Kind of a pain, but it's a good thing if you ask me...

Its good and its not. Its not if the owner is long gone and you can't track them down. It is if you just drove by someones house and swiped it, but then again it would be reported and when u went to title it u would go down. However, if you had the signed release that would get you out of trouble. Seems like it works both ways

this is fucking weak... i bought a 521 and have been pulled over 4 times cuz of tags and its starting to get old! the worst part is that i live in o.r. and its titled in w.a., i have never met "the last know owner" but i just got done writing the guy a letter asking him to help me. what do you guys think the chances are of the dude helping me get the title so the cop will leave alone???

if you have a bill of sale you can register it

I hear oregon is the place for "washing" titles... the companies that advertise out of arizona to get a title for anything use oregon to do it...

I think my dad did something like that but he actually had to register it some where on the east coast and the title then came back clean. ;)

I say the best method for getting titles is going though a lien service.

You can put a lien on a car yourself in OR. Going through the hoops right now to get a title for a Roadster. If you own property, declare the car abandond and charge a fee for "storage". Send a Registered Letter to the last known owner. When it comes back to you, take that to the DMV and apply for the title. Each state has their own set of requirements that need to be met.

finding out the last known registered owner can be the biggest problem. if you know his name you can write out your own receipt. and you cant have anything notarized unless the last legal owner is there with you. thats the notary part. but if you have a friend that notarizes you still need the previous owners name. if you dont know it your fucked. they wont tell you at the dmv.

You can put a lien on a car yourself in OR. Going through the hoops right now to get a title for a Roadster. If you own property, declare the car abandond and charge a fee for "storage". Send a Registered Letter to the last known owner. When it comes back to you, take that to the DMV and apply for the title. Each state has their own set of requirements that need to be met.

I've done this twice with no problem. Although I use a service to do it. They get all the info, send all the stuff and tell me when I can take my forms to the DMV to get a title. :D

how do tow truck yards get the papers for cars that they tow? i have a friend of a friend that works at one who helped me get my truck registered, then just signed it over to me. the PO was dead, and all family in another state...

Towing companies have special privileges by law to just "aquire" a title. Its not fair at all. Not even a wrecking yard can do that.