SoCal 510 2DR Rescue Mission

xzile609

Hello Ratsun

This is another build progress thread for a 2DR 510. Myself and 2 good friends of mine will be bringing this 510 back from the brink. Inspired by one of my friends to get a 510 2DR and he pointed me in the direction of the510keeper. Soon after a 9 hour road trip to northern Cali from southern Cali car dolly in tow began. Oh and some road trip it was lol.

After picking up the car and strapping it to the dolly the joyous return trip was started. About halfway back to So Cali a small problem came up.

So as we truck on down Interstate 5 car in tow radio going we notice a Interesting reading on the Armadas Fuel Economy screen it showed 29 Miles to empty and the next fuel stop was 31 Miles away. Ignore the MPG rating yea its bad LOL. but yes Distance to Empty goes to ***** as we just approach a fuel station WHEW CLOSE CALL.

IMG_0465.jpg

But after all that it's finally home.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

And now the fun Begins!!! The hunt for PARTS.

I'm new to the Datsun Community but love these cars.

Planning on going SR20DET S15 or S13 depending on budget.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome aboard

Hello Ratsun

... he pointed me in the direction of the510keeper.

Planning on going SR20DET S15 or S13 depending on budget.

shoulda just bought the white SR car from him ;)

you have a lot of parts to find.

every part necessary was where he got the car from.

Nice car :thumbup:

You're in Grand Terrace? Come out to the SoCal meet on Saturday, June 19. Its just a quick trip down the 215 to get to Moreno Valley. Some have traveled further. If the 510 is ready, bring it. If not, come out, hang out, and ask questions. Its what we're here for :)

zerow ,,he was at the last moval meet ,,and the journey was fantastic ,,but we survived!!

Aha! - now I know the car. Thanks for the refresher...

You must be rich.

SR cars cost alot to get done. Even to get a L motor one fired up from this stage is still going to cost a little bit

Hope this dont end up in the "for sale project" section.

Your the man Hainz, However I must say you sound jaded the core! I remember when I was re-wiring my car, you said 'there goes another one that is going to end up incomplete' Two weeks later I was back on the road in full re-wired force! I love seeing new people pick up Datsuns and start projects! Welcome to Ratsun xzile609 and good luck with your project!

P.S. Just busting your chops Hainz ;)

• Like 1

Your the man Hainz, However I must say you sound jaded the core! I remember when I was re-wiring my car, you said 'there goes another one that is going to end up incomplete' Two weeks later I was back on the road in full re-wired force! I love seeing new people pick up Datsuns and start projects! Welcome to Ratsun xzile609 and good luck with your project!

P.S. Just busting your chops Hainz ;)

He's right tho lol. Seems a lot of people pick up a project, or a car and really want to do some shit! but they stop half way thru, be it frustration, lack of money, retarded, life gets in the way. Then the car just sits for ever collecting rust, gets sold for dirt. And if its lucky, someone else might make it a driver again. Otherwise it gets cut up/parted out and another one lost :(

Cool car man, keep up the motivation and at least make it a driver even if the SR doesnt happen :D

its 5K minimun to do a SR20 conversion

If he does it, Great. Hes better than me.

Its almost cheaper to buy one done.

But I like seeing people save datsuns. But dont go over your head. These are simple cars in the 1st place and I wonder how they get to the non running spot in the first place.

This should give you motivation to prove mye wrong.

I have driven Datsuns for 22years as my daily drivers. I have seen people Come and mostly go

its 5K minimun to do a SR20 conversion

If he does it, Great. Hes better than me.

Its almost cheaper to buy one done.

But I like seeing people save datsuns. But dont go over your head. These are simple cars in the 1st place and I wonder how they get to the non running spot in the first place.

This should give you motivation to prove mye wrong.

I have driven Datsuns for 22years as my daily drivers. I have seen people Come and mostly go

I have fallen into this category once. Picked up a nice roller for 600.00 on ebay that was only a mile away. Started the project and then had to move cross country so I sold it. I sold my running SR at the same time. Picked up another one after moving from Florida to Texas got it running then sold it cause we moved only 20 miles up the road. Now I am on my Fourth and I told my wife that I will be buried in this one.

In my experience I have two important things to share. First.....stay focused on one area at a time. If its body work then focus all your time and money in getting supplies and actually finishing the bod work before jumping into another part of the car. Its easy to get side tracked both with your time and money. I see people buying 510s that are real rough and go and drop 1000 on cool parts, wilwoods, camber plates ect but no money on the obvious like body work, paint and basic mecanics. The next word of advise is try to do something to it every day wether a big or small project, something every day and shit will come together. Look for good deals, be patient and dont give up ever! Also do your research and ask ALOT of questions (MY TITLE, ha ha)

In my experience I have two important things to share. First.....stay focused on one area at a time. If its body work then focus all your time and money in getting supplies and actually finishing the bod work before jumping into another part of the car. Its easy to get side tracked both with your time and money. I see people buying 510s that are real rough and go and drop 1000 on cool parts, wilwoods, camber plates ect but no money on the obvious like body work, paint and basic mecanics. The next word of advise is try to do something to it every day wether a big or small project, something every day and shit will come together. Look for good deals, be patient and dont give up ever! Also do your research and ask ALOT of questions (MY TITLE, ha ha)

Thanks for the advice and some POSITIVE input biggrin.gif yea I'm tackling the body work first Ive actually got a few friends on board already to get that going. The plan is to sandblast a bit this weekend and grind away at some rust and other places.

Will get more pics up as the changes start rolling in.

• 1 year later...

hile since I've updated this thread. But here we go I've been at work on the datto again. now keep in mind I have never worked on a Datsun and never restored any car ever so i'm doing the best I can with what I have available to me, it may not be perfect but meh what can you do. I love this Datsun and it will get there. So let the pics begin.

I decided i'm going to try to do the 50 dollar Rustolem paint job. So I wanted to do a small part so I got a fender off at went to work here is how it goin. Keep in mind I have never done body work before lol

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

And after de-rusting

IMG_0090.jpg

another coat of primer

IMG_0092.jpg

and then after it dried start with the Rustoleum 40/60% mix the little bubbles actually fall down on there own its looking nice

IMG_0098.jpg

Coat #2 little wet sanding will probably do 6 coats then buff / polish no roller lines very shiny

IMG_0095.jpg

Onto the engine bay. yea the garage is a mess SO took the battery tray out

IMG_0111.jpg

then chemical stripped the old paint out sanded ETC and now primer time. its not done by far but its getting closer. What I plan to do is coat the bay with pick up truck liner some may not like it but I think it will be sick and durable.

IMG_0114.jpg

• Like 1

So I know I planned on going with the SR20 in this build BUT I got my hands on a ridiculous deal on a KA24DE. With the help of stilltwisted and his pick up truck and hoist we brought that home. Soon cross member flipping and trans mount making and all that happy fun stuff. I am still going to be putting a turbo motor in this car a bit later but what turbo motor is G14 classified right now.

IMG_0118.jpg

• Like 1