L16 with goodies

mklotz70

A buddy needed space in his garage...asked if I'd come buy an L16 off of him...I said sure. Was nicely surprised at what it turned out to be. Supposedly, it has flat top pistons in it and was rebuilt. A couple of freeze plugs are out, so I won't get too excited until I've pulled the pan and done a compression test. :)

DCP_7477.jpg

DCP_7478.jpg

DCP_7479.jpg

DCP_7480.jpg

DCP_7481.jpg

DCP_7482.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly, the guy had it setup for racing. I'm guessing dragstrip since it has the electric water pump drive. The oil thing is some fancy racing filter...or something like that.....Bluemeanie helped me bring it home and he seemed to know what it was.

It was cheap, but it wasn't free. ...hhmm...I'll have to split the trans from it and see if it has a roadster clutch :)

great find Mike

that oil filter is usually used on circle track cars. High flow don't ya know.

you can get a new element for it at any dirt track parts supplier.

whatcha ya gonna put it in?

Thanks.

No clue what I'm doing with it yet. I may put it in my daughters rig just to see if I can get it fired up :)

interesting about the oil filter. I was thinking about using the block mount/hoses and connect up to a bypass filter setup, but sounds like it would be better to use it or sell it as a complete item.

not sure what the elements sell for

but I think the reason behind that filter is to inspect what gets trapped in the element.

so take that thing apart and see what's in it.

that should tell you what condition the motor is in. maybe?

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally tore into it. Basically, I was looking for an excuse to to scrap it.....but here's what I found. The timing chain and guides are near new. The pistons are 50 overs. There's still crosshatching in the cylinders!!! soooo....I guess I'll get a gasket kit and some freeze plugs and put it back together :(

DCP_7645.jpg

DCP_7646.jpg

DCP_7648.jpg

DCP_7650.jpg

DCP_7653.jpg

The pistons do have a small dish to them. I know nothing about pistons, but I thought the dish kept them from being flat tops. The look nearly new on the bottom side :) They're 50 over but the stroke comes up as stock L16 so it's still slightly smaller than an L18. I guess I'll pop the valve cover off the L18 sitting in the shop and see what it's cam looks like. I was supposed to be getting a good running L16 back in Nov, but still haven't heard back.

I'm not sure if it means it's balanced, but the crank pulley has 4 holes drilled in it and the bottom of the crank has an extra divot or two from a drill bit.....any clues?

I'm torn because if I'm going to do all this motor work, I might as well do it to the L18......but this bottom end is so nice!! I'll see about a couple pics of the head. I was really surprised at how far open the intake valve is.

The drill holes in the crank point to it having been balanced.

You can see some of them here.

DCP_7648.jpg

I see some grinding marks on the rods so you might assume the rods have been balanced as well. Do you have a better pic of the bottom end?

There's some writing in yellow paint on the end of the crank that's drilled...hard to make out, but looks like the crank is .020?? I'm guessing that it's had .020 ground off and oversized bearings put in. There's nothing stamped in the end of the cam...but I'll look again. I don't have time right now, but the thought crosses my mind to put this head on the L18 if the bottom end is tight, then put the SU's on :) I suppose I could just put this back together.....should have tons of life left in it!