L16 with goodies

mklotz70

All the L blocks I have been into have drillings in the crank.All the stock cams I have seen sit around 1/8" above the main shaft base on the back side.I think its a regrind.

I run a .450 regrind on my L16 and it is much peppier than my stock L18 though it does lack some low end.Either way that is a nice score.:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay....so basically it's a rebuilt L16 with a cam regrind. Oh well...still worth the money :)

Here's a couple more.

No stamping of anything on the end of the cam.

DCP_7664.jpg

....but you can see how nearly flush the lobes are.

DCP_7666.jpg

...here's the holes in the pulley...I haven't seen holes in any others. The end of the oil pump drive is worn...so I'll either build it up or find a replacement.

DCP_7669.jpg

...a little hard to see in the black, but the intake sure does open up more then I expected! Exhaust is similar.

DCP_7672.jpg

..the crosshatching is so pronounced, it makes me think the motor never got broken in.

DCP_7687.jpg

Looks like a matchport home done job(it works for me)

the x hatching?? 80 grit sand paper?

I think that motor has great potential and should use it. I know people make fun of L16s but a hipo daily driver in a 521 would be cool(hi reving). Maybe find some Silvolite flattops for it.(really why spend to much money on it) Piston are good use them.personally i think its overrated only if new pistons are needed anyways then get flattops. But every block I had done needed new pistons they were out of spec.

I probably will put it back together....sometime...if only to satisfy my curiousity about how it runs. It had low compression, but with the way the cyl walls look, I don't think the rings ever seated. I'm done with it for now. It's been sprayed down with WD40, bagged and moved out to the canopy for now. I really need to get the DRO on the lathe and get busy on disc brakes and the NL! :)

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

When I put lay my boat up for a long winters nap, I use fogging oil in the spark plug holes, and then turn the motor over, and then spray a little more fogging oil in, and put the plugs back in.

I believe fogging oil has a higher content of wax in it, so that after the solvent and propellent disperses, the wax stays on the cylinder walls until the next time the engine is run.

But spraying WD-40 into the cylinders is way more than 99% of people do when storing an engine.

Looks like some vertical scores in one of those cylinders there.Maybe give it a quick hone to see if it goes away easy.I had over 20k on my rebuilt l18 when I tore it apart(to find that I should have changed the timing guides,broken)and it had similar cross hatch.Definitely a home port match but not too far in.I at least sand down to the valve seat.

Hainz is right about the hipo l16 in a 521.High revver get up and go.I still prefer the l20b I had before.I could keep with alot.I dont worry about over revving now though.

I would put that cam setup in a peanut and slap it on a 18 or 20b.