Say a prayer for my mutt.

Just got in, looks like he has a spinal problem, there are a couple verteba that are too close together and there are two of them tring to "fuse?" Anyway they gave me some steriod/medicine to give him and looks like the truck is going to get handicap puppy mods ASAP. he has to take it easy for the next couple of weeks. No running or rough housing with Emma and lots of rest. His Xrays are going to a radioligist for further exams and they will get back with me later. Vet bill wasnt too bad, $206 I kinda pushed them a bit, they wanted to keep him and have me come back at 1pm, I said na Ill wait, so they knocked him out and xrayed him and now he is at home here next to me sleeping the rest of it off. He got his meds for now and he will get his next dose before I go to work. It isnt hip displasia, but I am hopping this medicine will fix the problem. He is just too old to be playing rough anymore with Emma.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your head up and my thoughts are with you.....I put a post up awhile back when I lost my Rotty of 13 years Harley..had conjenative heart failure....couldnt sleep she would just sit and pant all night her lungs were full of fluid. Doc gave her a shot and said I had 10 minutes to walk her outside and say good bye. 10 seconds later she layed her head on my shoe and was gone. I cried like alittle girl she was the best dog ever!

Thanks for the well wishes, I just took him outside, he is doing a little better. I have a dog carrier to help him up and down the stairs. This is a bit of a change for both of us, but I will be happy to do it for him. He saved my ass in 2 different occasions from getting robbed at knife point, I wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for him. He is worth whatever I can do to make his life better.

Great news! just got a call from the vet, the radiologist has looked at the xrays and said Konans spine is ok! Guess the vet tech was wrong. He did say that he is getting old so he needs to take it easy for a bit. Thank you for your well wishes and prayers!

:lol: looks like I own Konan a steak

YAY!!!!! Give the big guy a hug for me. Glad he's gonna be ok. he's awesome.

Done! :hug:

Excellent.....have you tried laying the ramp flat? Get him to walk on it......then slightly increase the height. And again....and again.... till you have your desired 'pitch'.

that is what I read, thanks, I got it in the hallway so he has to walk on it, Sis is a bit mad due to stubbin a toe or two! :lol:

:lol: looks like I own Konan a steak

He said "Rare, with just a touch of salt, Please!"

until your better:

no_dogs_woof.jpg

Yep, he none too happy about that, poor Emma wants to play but I have to call her on it, I usually say "kissy kissy" and she tears off looking for her cats. She heards them like sheep, go figure. ^_^ Anyway they said to go ahead and finish the run of steriods, he is eatin everything that doesnt fight back, and even tho he is actin like a puppy thinking he is invincible or something, I am keeping him as still as possible.

Check out what you're feeding him too. He's elderly now and may need a change. Our old Cocker was getting the same stuff he had for years and on a vet's advice we changed for a less energetic older dog food and he's better on it. The other stuff was like sugar for a kid and this stuff has extra of the stuff an older dog needs and less of what he doesn't. Just a thought.

Check out what you're feeding him too. He's elderly now and may need a change. Our old Cocker was getting the same stuff he had for years and on a vet's advice we changed for a less energetic older dog food and he's better on it. The other stuff was like sugar for a kid and this stuff has extra of the stuff an older dog needs and less of what he doesn't. Just a thought.

He is on mature dog food for about 2 years now, plus glucost supliments too. :D

Make sure the glucosamine that you are using has chondroitin in it. Did a bit of research when my old Lab got near the end... :( ...her name was Sealik..(Slick)....best dog I ever had... Anywho......The chondroitin makes the glucos easier to digest and or absorb.....in the dogs digestive system

If you already know this.......disregard my advice :D

Sealik co-piloting my 720......did not like the ramp I built :huh:

P6160022.jpg

Here's one of her daughters

P6160082.jpg

And here's her great grand pup...about 30 seconds old

P8060138.jpg

Not hijacking the thread.....just want to let know that I haven't met too many people that are more concerned in the welfare of their dog(s) than myself......but I guess there is a first :D

Not hijacking the thread.....just want to let know that I haven't met too many people that are more concerned in the welfare of their dog(s) than myself......but I guess there is a first :D

My Konan is the reason I am still alive and breathing today twice over, not counting episodes I dont know about. He will never live another hard day in his life, period. The first line in my signature is the perfect truth in my book.

Update: The single ramp on the floor was avoided, so I played dirty, I took the second ramp and laid it next to it so he has to walk on one or the other. And I switch them around every day, he has started walking on them. Emma on the other hand sleeps on them :blink: Soon I will move them to the stairs and start raising them a step at a time.