SWDP 3rd Annual Bar-B-Que IMPORTANT CHANGE

Steroid

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Guy made us another kick ass flyer......

swdpflyer2010-4-1.jpg

We will cruise to the old Fontana Datsun dealer & then onto the Wig wam motel after the BBQ.

T shirts are in the works & we'll have bigger sizes this year. BTW Steroid still has some left over shirts from last year...$15 shipped.

Its all coming together :thumbup:

I sure hope I can keep my truck together long enough to make it... if not I'll tow it. :cool:

Either way amigo we'd love to have you.

I found a more reliable link to a map / adress for the park here........

http://events.pe.com/fontana-ca/venues/show/1056011-martin-tudor-jurupa-hills-park

T shirts are in the works & we'll have bigger sizes this year. BTW Steroid still has some left over shirts from last year...$15 shipped.

He have any small or med from last year? I need one me thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

New t-shirts were ordered and paid for yesterday. You guys are going to LOVE this years design!! Each year to be different collectable!! I discussed next years shirt as well as 2012s with Our new shirt printer. Also, 10 redwood plaques were purchased and routered. Not sure yet how many will be presented and to who........... Its ALWAYS a secret up until the last minute!!! One thing: You WON'T be presented one unless You attend!! Hint!! Hint!!

On last years shirts, which was the plaque logo design. I still have Large and Extra Large only. About 10 of each.

So the date is the 19th? changed from the 12th? If it is the 19th, I am in... The 12th is a no go.

The BBQ will be on the 19th. JCCS is the 12th [week before] :cool:

P.S. i know what the shirts will look like but it's a secret.......gotta show up to get one :D

The BBQ will be on the 19th. JCCS is the 12th [week before] :cool:

P.S. i know what the shirts will look like but it's a secret.......gotta show up to get one :D

I also know what they look like. A little birdy did tell me. :o

I found the Mini truckin magazine article.........

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/events/west/1009mt_2009_south_west_datsun_pickup_bbq/index.html

&........the article.........

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Datsun Pickups

2009 South West Datsun Pickup BBQ

Old-School Datsun Lovers BBQ

From the September, 2010 issue of Mini Truckin'

By Mike Alexander, Members of SWDP

Photography by Mark Lynn

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Truck Show

The 2nd Annual South West Datsun Pickups Bar-B-Que was held on Sunday, August 16, at Martin Tudor Park in Fontana, California.

The weather was perfect for this second-annual old-school meet. There is a dedicated group of Datsun enthusiasts who keep the old school alive, and they continue to build and get together to celebrate the days of the "Fontana" Datsun. They help each other stay historically correct on forums such as ratsun.com, and they decided to bring back a club for such enthusiasts.

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Datsun Pickup Trucks

Keeping the old school alive, Guy Grey, Mark Lynn, and Mike Lepker created the SWDP (South West Datsun Pickups) club in memory of the original SCDP (So Cal Datsun Pickups) from 1973. This group comprises Datsun lovers from all the Southwestern states, and they meet up once a year to stay more connected than just through the forums they frequent. According to the club's history:

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Datsun Trucks

"The Fontana-based club formed in 1973 was SCDP (So Cal Datsun Pickups), which was sponsored by Fontana Datsun, now California Car & Truck. All of those guys ran a plaque made of redwood, which was routered by the Woodshop teacher at Fontana High School, and then the letters were painted yellow. All club members were presented with them upon approval. In 1975, an Escondido chapter was added. Thirty years later, a discussion between Guy Gray, Mark Lynn, and Mike Lepker occurred with the thought of how to be a historically correct group of Datsun truck fans without necessarily having the requirements of a club. They took out the 'So Cal' and replaced it with 'South West,' and a new group, South West Datsun Pickups, was born. The logo is essentially the same as it was more than 30 years ago but has been changed to include three more states, and it will forever leave the proper historic remnant of SCDP intact."

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Datsun Pickups

Because Fontana was SCDP's base years ago, the new group decided to keep their annual event there, and after the barbecue they do a "historic" cruise and photograph surviving Datsun trucks and vehicles in important locations. The photograph at California Car & Truck was graciously allowed, with 16 Datsun vehicles lined up at the original dealership building! Mike Lepker has a photograph of 20 SCDP 620 pickups lined up in the same location taken in 1974. The Wig Wam Motel is an important Route 66 location, and once again its owners were gracious in allowing SWDP to line up for photos. The owner indicates that SWDP is the first club to ever be allowed to do so, despite the rich American motoring heritage of the area.

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Datsun Pickup

SWDP also cruises other locations such as E Street in San Bernardino. Every Friday night during the '70s, SCDP would meet in the lube bay at Fontana Datsun and then caravan to San Bernardino and set up on the corner of 6th and E Street. SWDP recognizes the importance of this history and is actively locating original members, photographs, and items tracing back to the roots of minitruckin' history.

For more information on this historic group, check out Southwestdatsunpickups.com. Special thanks to all the guys of SWDP for letting us document their event and their club's history.

2009 South West Datsun Pickup Bbq Datsun Truck

Show Lowdown

Name: 2nd Annual South West Datsun Pickup BBQ

Dates: August 16

Fast 411

• Keeping the old school alive, Guy Grey, Mark Lynn, and Mike Lepker created the SWDP (South West Datsun Pickups) club in memory of the original SCDP (So Cal Datsun Pickups) from 1973.

• This group comprises Datsun lovers from all the Southwestern states, and they meet up once a year to stay more connected than just through the forums they frequent.

Contact for Future Events:

Southwestdatsunpickups.com, or check out Ratsun.net

Ok people we have roughly 1 month to go till "chicksada" I want to remind the SWDP guys as in years past this is a pot luck BBQ so bring something to slap on the grill :cool:

& I've posted the BBQ on 4 other sites so were hoping for an even bigger turnout than last year.

Sounds awesome cant wait to see the shirts. Looking forward to another great BBQ! I announced the date at the last meet and told everyone with trucks they had to go. I think we will have a few new trucks this year! Thanks Mike for the XXL. We had two Datsun trucks pulling Sundance Datsun boats this last meet. I will push to get the pictures posted. Check it out!