always make sure when you sell your car they put it in their name.

I sent in the slip with the guys info to the dol back in SEPTEMBER of last year. today i get a photo radar ticket in the mail for the truck. the fucker never liscensed my 81 720 i sold him. I cant find the bil of sail my wife "filed" supposebl. Im about ready to call the truck in stolen since its been 6 months and he hasnt put it in his name. what you guys suggest?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That villain. Did your wife put the bill of sale into the "round" file? You may be hosed on this one, sir, but I'm not sure.

I'm dealing with a BS situation right now on a Goon that I just bought. Guy said he'd FedEx me the title, then took off on a job to Texas. Just got a call from him the other day asking if I could wait for the title until June. I laughed at his joke. Turns out he wasn't joking. :sneaky:

I had that problem with a 280zx.

The kid started calling me a year later, hed never put it in his name and lost the title.

and for some reason fully expected me to waste my time and money to apply for a lost title in my name and send it to him, lol what a joke. so he started trying to bully me into it by saying the place it was stored would place leans and shit on it and bills would be sent to me. I released interest of the car at the DMV when I sold it so I just laughed at him and told him to fuck off.

dont tell them its stolen. because thats BSing them and it will make your problem harder to deal with.

make it clear you sold it.

tell them its not you, they will grill you on the ID of the driver, you can

A. not tell them, your not legaly required too. but since its not a friend or anything id go with

B. give them the name of the guy you sold it too.

i did report it sold as i said in my post. but for some reason either a id didnt go through, or b the washington dol just sucks at this shit. thing is the picture is so damn blurry. I think im going to report it stolen if i cant get out of the ticket by saying it wasnt me with the copy of my liscense. hell i could get the truck back and sell it again. just pisses me off when people are so shady like this.

i did report it sold as i said in my post. but for some reason either a id didnt go through, or b the washington dol just sucks at this shit. thing is the picture is so damn blurry. I think im going to report it stolen if i cant get out of the ticket by saying it wasnt me with the copy of my liscense. hell i could get the truck back and sell it again. just pisses me off when people are so shady like this.

and what happens if he has the title still?

it will still be in your name,

but it will have the release of interest signed by you and the buyer section below it signed by him.

then your boned for fraud and filing a false police report.

We all get screwed from time to time. It looks like this may be the case if they won't hear your story. If you reported it to DOL and they have no record, then it's a fluke. The fact that your wife "filed" the bill of sale so well that you can't find it, seems a bit freakish also. Be honest in this situation; if you get penalized for being honest, well, at least you know you did the right thing.

I've never felt bad doing the right thing(even if it cost me). Your conscience isn't worth the cost of the ticket.. at least mine isn't. If nothing else, go to court, and plead "no contest". The judge will hear your story, and decide what to do about it. If the radar reading was taken at a time that you were, say, at work or something like that, you can provide proof of alibi, as well.

While it may sound trite, the wisdom you gained(as indicated in your thread title) at a potentially minimal cost is worth it. Imagine if this guy had gone out, gotten into a wreck, and killed someone. In a similar situation, the blood could easily be on your hands. After this fiasco, I'm sure you won't let this happen again, and the possibility of the latter will be considerably lessened. Just some food for thought.

Good luck to you.

were forgetting one important detail, is the ticket made out to you specifically?

if it is

go to court, plead not guilty. because well, your not.

get the photo, if its to blurry to get an ID, theres still no proof its you, if its clear then its obviously not you.

find all the paper work you can, go to the DMV and find out why your release of interest wasnt put threw or see if it actually is.

then go from there

you dont need to try and wind your way around it you just have to jump threw their hoops and go threw the process (unfortunately)

We interrupt this retard progression for a special report!

Type in legible English so you don't piss off the people whose help you're asking. Defamation, slander, libel, and falsifying a police report (eg you filing a stolen vehicle report and/or saying the buyer is a thief) all carry civil and/or criminal repercussions.

Now back to your regularly scheduled retardation.

If you did indeed send a vehicle report of sale with the DMV, then they probably have it on file. The way the red light bullshit works is even if you did report the sale, if it was never registered in another person's name, the computer automatically sends it to the last registered owner, because goodness knows the state wants to get their money.

What to do is check with the DMV, in fact you might be able to do it online. Don't know if they back entered records or not, just know you can report sales online now, makes it way easier. Anyway, find the record of your selling it, and send the ticket in with whatever documentation number there is and there's nothing they can do. Obviously it's not you, you sold the vehicle. Give them a name to chase and they probably will.

As a rule, I do not answer red light tickets. They had that bullshit in PHX, and per AZ law, a uniformed officer has to physically hand you the ticket, or the state doesn't have a case because they never took your driver's license. HOWEVER, if you go to court to fight it, you will be asked for you driver's license and found guilty. BUT, if you send a lawyer for you, the lawyer will ask if they have a verified the driver during the traffic "stop" and of course they can't, so it gets thrown out.

Easier still is to NOT RESPOND to the summons in the mail, making the court send a process server out to serve you with your court date and time. This costs more in time and resources than the ticket is worth, so eventually it will get thrown out. I don't remember what the time frame is, but f red light cameras, and f the lazy ass state!

Whew, think that's it! :)

If you did indeed send a vehicle report of sale with the DMV, then they probably have it on file. The way the red light bullshit works is even if you did report the sale, if it was never registered in another person's name, the computer automatically sends it to the last registered owner, because goodness knows the state wants to get their money.

What to do is check with the DMV, in fact you might be able to do it online. Don't know if they back entered records or not, just know you can report sales online now, makes it way easier. Anyway, find the record of your selling it, and send the ticket in with whatever documentation number there is and there's nothing they can do. Obviously it's not you, you sold the vehicle. Give them a name to chase and they probably will.

As a rule, I do not answer red light tickets. They had that bullshit in PHX, and per AZ law, a uniformed officer has to physically hand you the ticket, or the state doesn't have a case because they never took your driver's license. HOWEVER, if you go to court to fight it, you will be asked for you driver's license and found guilty. BUT, if you send a lawyer for you, the lawyer will ask if they have a verified the driver during the traffic "stop" and of course they can't, so it gets thrown out.

Easier still is to NOT RESPOND to the summons in the mail, making the court send a process server out to serve you with your court date and time. This costs more in time and resources than the ticket is worth, so eventually it will get thrown out. I don't remember what the time frame is, but f red light cameras, and f the lazy ass state!

Whew, think that's it! :)

lol thats why I was getting at with going to the DMV ect, thanks for covering it more thoroughly lol

Ive had my own title problems. I Sold my Buick Riviera, and less than a week later I received a call from a detective, regarding a burglary that my car was involved in. Turns out that the information they gave me was false. And they never registered it in their name. Odd that I saw the car a few days later, and called it in. Then a about a month later someone randomly came to my house asking me to go get the car out of impound. And they did not seem to understand what the phrase "release of liability" means. Which you seem to also be having trouble with.

When you release interest and liability in a vehicle, it is no longer your vehicle. Even if the buyer never registers it, it is still NOT your vehicle. I considered trying to recover the vehicle for myself, especially knowing that they had provided false information on the release of liability, for about .000005 of a second. Filing a false police report is illegal, claiming a vehicle that is not yours is against the law, and not responding to a court summons... and the list of horrible advice continues.

Call the number on the ticket, explain the situation until everyone is satisfied. If that fails, go to court, and explain your situation there. File a small claim suit against the individual that purchased your car, to cover the expense of missed work and travel expenses if you have to go to court to defend yourself. The truth may not set you free, but lying to the police can get your ass put in jail.

Joe

Guest kamakazi620

I have a similar experiance,I was Givin' a 1985 jeep commando p/u and later sold it to a Co-worker for 150bucks he NEVER put it in his name and left it wrecked an' shot up in the molalla river,A detective came to my work and tryed to pin it on me,I gave him the Co-workers info and he did not care In his mind I did it,the next day he interviewed my MOM and she was there when i sold him the car,She told the Detective the same story I told hom and he was pissed!!! he started tellin' my MOM what a criminal I was an' how I dumped the truck in the river and 100,000 dollar fines Blah Blah,Well my Ma knows me and stopped his story an' TOLD him OFF tellin' him what a GOOD kid I am an' how HE needed to back the F off me cuz She saw me sell it and that was the last i heard of the Co-worker,The next day Detective Barney Fife calls me an' threatens me with Jailtime I told him Dude you got the wrong guy and If ya wanna lock me up I'm at work Come get me!!! I'm sick of my job an' could use a Vacation,He was like I'm comming to get you right now!!! I said Cool! he shows up an' gives me a 100 dollar fine an that was it. Moral of the story Sell a car get a bill of sale turn it in at DMV and keep a Copy,If you have paperwork of the transfer(even if DMV missplaces it)They can't hold YOU liable for anything!!! paperwork IS yer friend an' it shuts up PIGS(cops) Real F'n quick!!!!