Little Red Wagon...

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This wagon sets the bar for the perfect build! You've done all the things I wish I could do with mine. I love the custom fab work and attention to detail...really inspiring stuff! Seeing this really makes me want to learn how to weld.

This means a lot coming from you. To be honest, your build has been my inspiration to stay as detail oriented as possible. I wish I had your paint skills. Tell you what, teach me how to paint and I'll teach you how to weld ;)

Later

Joel

Small update... Decided to do a little work on the headlight and grill polishing that needed to be done. I went to Home Depot and picked up a couple buffing wheels and a few compound sticks. This was my first time polishing anything so there was a slight learning curve :P

Oops... Now I need to find another one <_<

IMG_4548.jpg

Oh and wear gloves... I managed to wrap my hand up in the damb wheal with the head light ring. This thing still stings :P

IMG_4558.jpg

But I managed to get the hang of it after a while... I also cleaned up the head light bucket and brackets. I didn't want to mess up the coating so simple dish soap and a tooth brush did the job...

Before-

IMG_4529.jpg

After (with the polished rings ;) )-

IMG_4531.jpg

Not too bad considering all I have into it is elbow grease :) I reinstalled the original headlights for now but I'll be looking for a better option later on. Jun’s HID’s sure are nice ;)

Later

Happy holidays boys and girls! Another update on the wagon...

After turning wrenches for a bit, I decided to shift gears and work on the body a little more. After the front, the rear of the car was the worst area by far. I'm not sure I mentioned it before but this car probably taught a few kids how to drive over the years :P The rear lower corners were caved in and the tailgate had its share of contact as well. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is a dent free panel on this thing :blink: But the rest of it will have to wait till later, for now, I needed to focus on the back.

DISCLAIMER: LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I AM NOT AN AUTO BODY PROFESSIONAL NOR PRETEND TO BE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, ASIDE FROM THE WORK I DID IN THE ENGINE BAY, I HAVE NO OTHER EXPERIENCE DOING ANY OF THIS AND SHOULD PROBABLY BE BARRED FROM EVEN TOUCHING SOMETHING AS PRECIOUS AS A 510. NONE THE LESS, PLEASE CONSIDER MY PROCESS INFORMATION ONLY. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS INVITED AND ENCOURAGED BUT PLEASE BE KIND ;)

Here’s what I started with. Behind the bumper on both sides were caved in and the driver’s side bumper mount area was crushed. The tailgate had a nice pucker about the size of my head on the driver’s side and there were a few emblems and lights I wanted to remove...

datsun002edit.jpg

So, armed with about two hours of you tube body work video knowledge, I went to work. But almost immediately I hit a snag... All the areas I needed to work on were to tight to get a hammer behind so I had to think. I remembered seeing a nifty little devise a while back that welded a stud to the bent body that could be pulled on with a slide hammer. Not having one of these tools (or the budget for one) I welded a few sections of fill wire to the body using the mig. I then grabbed these with a set of pliers and pried them out using a block for leverage. Although not perfect, it actually ended up working pretty well...

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

(The rest of the dents were removed the same way)

When the drives side bumper mount was crushed, it moved the mounting points for the bumper behind the sheet metal out (side to side) about 3/4" so the bolt holes in the bracket wouldn't line up anymore. This is how I fixed it...

IMG_4666.jpg

It ended up working pretty well and I was able to move them back to within an 1/8" of original before the tool ate itself. I should have that much wiggle room in the bracket.

A couple other things I didn't like about the 70's version of the 510 goon were the license plate lights and the reflectors under the tail lights so they had to go. Also, while I was at it, I shaved the mounting holes for the emblems as well...

IMG_4670-Copy.jpg

Ready for filler...

IMG_4674.jpg

I managed to get the metal pretty close, so a very thin coat of body filler was all that was required...

IMG_4689.jpg

And I finished it up with primer to protect the surface for now. Later, when I paint the car, I'll sand her down with the rest of the body and finish it up then...

IMG_4716.jpg

Like I said, I'm FAR from "good" at body work but I figure this is a good place to learn. I'll have a lot more practice under my belt before this project is finished ;)

Later

Joel

• Like 2

Thanks... It was about ten bucks a can and I used about eight and a half for everything so far including the gas tanks. It’s probably about a wash between using POR and this but what tip the scales for me was the fact that there was already a factory undercoat under the car and I wasn't sure (and couldn't find out) weather the POR would be compatible. It only stands to reason that undercoat will stick to undercoat if properly prepped so ultimately, this fact made up my mind for me. ;) Remember to wear a respirator and skin protection (face sheild) if you grind…

Later

Joel

Your body work looks great, the whole wagon looks great. It's amazes me how crazy we all get with these little cars. Keep up the great work.

Thanks man... Don't look too close but for my little project, it should be fine ;) Like I said, I don't think there is a straight panel on this car so I'm going to get plenty of practice before it’s all over. I just hope I don't screw it up too bad :P Maybe when I strike it rich I can hire you to paint her for me :cool:

Later

Joel