Fram Oil Filters = Fail

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had a experience with Motor Trend oil filters? I just bought a Toyota Corolla and want to do a oil change at Jiffy lube and this is one of the filter brands that they use. Fram, (No way) Mild guard (never heard of them) and Motor Trend. :unsure:

http://www.carparts.com/MOTOR-TREND-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-OIL-FILTERS/GP_2018050_N_111+20005368+600023071_10618.car

In a connected "fail" sort of way...

Jiffy Lube = Epic Fail. :angry:

Spent a long time as manager at a Grease Monkey....now before anyone freaks out... :blink: on me, this place was pretty top shelf. I made sure the employees were "on it", trained them, made sure they weren't all high :rolleyes: and payed special attention to customers with cool cars...we made a very positive impact on the community by watching the details. We DID make mistakes but we stood behind our work..PERIOD.

We got Jiffy Lube cars in there ALL the time. Screwed up threads, out of oil, knocking, mysteriously pink engine oil, cross threaded transfer case plugs, spray painted fill plugs on transmisions, dry differentials, paperwork that "proved" they had serviced automatic transmissions that had black ATF in them...the list was on going and massive...we had a "Wall of Shame" covered with stripped plugs and broken parts.

DO NOT get your oil changed there. :angry:

I understand not having time, place, disposal etc. Try Grease Monkey...personally I have seen a marked step up in customer care, quality of parts available, oil used and satisfaction. You will need to buy a better than "house brand" filter no matter where you go. Thats how the money is made...cheap stuff for the masses.

Each one is individually owned and operated though. Be smart. Use your gut feeling. If the guys running the place are duche-waffles than you better bail. If they are trying to push some crap on you then be prepared and bring your own filter...and oil if needed.

Or buy a filter, a wrench, some oil and put some carboard down and get goin. :D

i used to work for Jiffy Lube and the two i last worked at were top notch as well. in the 2 years i was at the last two, we had ONE car come back. everything i touched was right on. now the Grease Monkey (next door and the manager, was total shit.) that place had more cars come in to our store IMMEDIATELY after leaving there because the customer was afraid to drive the car any further. not saying ALL Grease Monkeys are bad, but yes you would have to know the people and if they are even competent to work on a vehicle.

Which brings us back to the thread topic...Fram filters:) :unsure:

I read a build thread today written by a Zcar owner that has run NOTHING but Fram filters for years and years...and he was thrilled with them. :rolleyes:

It takes all kinds. :D

Guest 510kamikazifreak

An oil change isn't rocket science. Paying for some one to fuck it up is insane.

LMAO

And people pay to get anything done!!!

Seems to be the norm??

And why :blink:

:D

An oil change isn't rocket science. Paying for some one to fuck it up is insane.

nope it isn't. rocket science is harder :D

LMAO

And people pay to get anything done!!!

Seems to be the norm??

And why :blink:

:D

because sometimes people dont know anything when it comes to cars. hell my mom takes her Explorer to the stealership for EVERYTHING.... $500 for brakes when i told her i could do it for a whole lot less....

I know guys, do your own oil changes, The reason I asked is because I just bought the car last week I put 540 miles on it, I let my daughter use it to go to Az to see her sister. I called her yesterday and asked her to get the oil changed before she comes back as the car almost has 1000 miles on it. They have jiffy lubes out there ans I called them to see what type of filters they install. They use Fram, Motor Trend and Mild Guard. I wanted to see if anybody here had any comments on them. I think I will call her and tell her to put the motor Trend on it. :unsure:

He is still trying to figure out which way the thermostat goes in,,,,

He put it in upside down last time

Are you serious? Why did the heat work perfectly after it was changed to the winter one? Runs right at half on the heat gauge as well. And I put it in the same way the other one that was in there. Guess the PO also put it in backwards.

Motor I will be pulling very soon, decided to wait until warm weather which just came this week. got my Carb hooked up today, and throw in battery tom night and try starting her up (yellow)

Radio

Are you serious? Why did the heat work perfectly after it was changed to the winter one? Runs right at half on the heat gauge as well. And I put it in the same way the other one that was in there. Guess the PO also put it in backwards.

Motor I will be pulling very soon, decided to wait until warm weather which just came this week. got my Carb hooked up today, and throw in battery tom night and try starting her up (yellow)

Radio

nahhhhhh , he's just playin ! cool ! I too am waiting for good streak ( and less busy days ) to put my 5spd , and 4bbl conversion to the L28 in my 240z ! :D ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and also waiting for funds for a stupid throttle cable :lol: