Wintertime driving tips---***---

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching that on the news. Yeah those (us) portland area people aren't too bright when it comes to snow. Hell Portland people aren't too bright when it comes to driving. It's like you're required to have your head up your ass once you cross the bridge :lol:

I never saw so many wrecks as the night I drove through Oregon Northbound in January 1996. West Coast snowstorm, and Portland was iced over. Saw more spinning cars and trucks than I've ever seen before or since. I'd already had my scare, when I first hit the snow just north of Redding, CA (I slid into a snowbank trying to avoid getting run over by a VW Bus who was flying up the single-rut). It was snow all the way from Redding to Seattle. That was a white-knuckle trip.

Several years ago my truck made the news during a Seattle snowstorm. They caught me driving over the center divider. What they didn't mention was the BUS that was jacknifed across all the eastbound lanes, and the only way around it was to straddle the center divider. But unlike the Taurus who tried to follow me, I made it over.

.....y all U gots to pick on us portlanders? Poo on you!

Nah. I agree. Friggin drivers up here cannot even negotiate the first rains of the season let alone snow. My ass is from Hawaii. We go TO snow. Snow doesn't come to us. The moment I hear "icy," I stay my hawaiian ass home!

~Brian

Wow... that was pretty hardcore. I remember being on the road in the middle of the night last January, and it started snowing at about 1 AM. I was trying to drive a friend home, and I was going downhill in fresh snow (first one to drive in it) and even though I was only doing about 20 km/h I ended up sliding when I tried turning... unfortunately I ended up turning partway and sliding diagonally into a curb... The car bounced off the curb, slid a couple feet back out into the roadway, and about ten feet further down the street before coming to a stop against the curb. I ended up destroying the front driver's side rim.

I'm getting chains for when it snows... I've had enough sliding around in the rain as it is, I don't want to be doing it in the snow... except for in empty parking lots... :D

I'd lay money that the guy in the pdx vid was a CA transplant!!!!!

Brian said "first rain of the season" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's hilarious!!!! Like there's only one season we get rain! It rains every season!! Heck...it never friggin' stops raining for there to be a first!!!! :)

As a wild youth at the University of Minnesota, I owned a 1980 Datsun 210, and I usually spent every minute of the winter season with my back wheels spinning (on purpose, cause it was so fun). Every corner was a chance to put it into a drift, and since it was before global warming, we had a bunch of record snow years, and I had plenty of opportunities for snow and ice driving. I could tell story after story, like the time the snow plows got stuck in front of my house because the snow was too deep, and I still drove to work, or driving for miles with the snow higher than the front valence. Getting passed by a snowplow with the window open wasn't too sweet, though.

Have you ever seen the mythbusters where Kari loses control at 10 miles an hour in the slush? Well, here, many people take that at 70 mph, and the semis don't slow down for nothing. Just last winter, it snowed so hard that the cops blocked both roads to work, (big hills, and southern people were jackknifing), and when I stopped to help out a semi, I heard the forests shattering. when I went by the next day, I would say 50% of the trees were broken. just amazing. but, I drive a Subaru or F350 4X4 in the winter, and it doesn't bother me. as long as you keep the speed up high enougn, you can get through any snow.