A or KA?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Stay A or Go KA

• Keep the A-series
    • Go KA

So I have been driving the Goon for a whyle now and have reached a bypass. The A12A that is in it is tired as hell. It cant get out of its own way. I have problems going up hills and getting on the freeway cause of the lack of power.

I do not intend to make this car fast, just cool. But with the TV, Video games and extra batts the car is so slow that I dont wanna drive it anymore. The Pumpkn is gonna be drivable this summer and I wanna square away the goon for to be a daily.

Was thinking that I could get a single cam KA with an auto for fairly cheep and make the car super user friendly. The more I think about it the more I realize how tough of a decision this is for me! I Love the A series, but it will be hard and expensive to make powerfull enough to be what I want. Plus the 4sp is not ideal for a heavy car to be driven daily.

Help me out! What would you do? :unsure:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinkin an auto cause it is a daily driver and Im lookin for ease of use. I say again,"this car will NEVER be fast or anything of the sort. I understand the opposition to an auto but this will kill 2 birds with one stone, It will be Easy to do other things whyle driving and it will prevent me from trying to act like speed racer!

I was thinkin an auto cause it is a daily driver and Im lookin for ease of use. I say again,"this car will NEVER be fast or anything of the sort. I understand the opposition to an auto but this will kill 2 birds with one stone, It will be Easy to do other things whyle driving and it will prevent me from trying to act like speed racer!

i would go ka also....for power and torque, plus price....auto would be nice then you could have steering wheel in one hand and a bong in the outher.....puff puff....plus ka goon ....just say it KA GOON aahhhhhhhhh, mmmmmmmmmmmm

L series upgrade? Get to keep your carbs.

I bought a new '76 B-210 and later had a 510 and a 521 that I put an L20B into..... always wondered..... what would an L ... go like in that tiny ass car?

I LOVE Carbs! That is the truth! And an L would have enough power aswell. It dorsnt need to be fast so a L20 should be fine and getting to have my cake and Carbs too.

But KA Goon does sound good off the toung! Plus if Im gonna go to an auto I may aswell go to FI for comlpete ease of use.

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure: Now Im even more confused than when I started :huh: Thanks for nothin

A, L, or KA...... carbs for the cool factor, or EFI for the ease of driveability..... tough call.... i would go with the KA personally. more modern, EFI, and parts are a whole lot easier to come across. plus people pull single slammers out of 240s all the time for dual cams or SRs. should be able to pick one up cheap enough, if not FREE with an auto and the harnesses.

A, L, or KA...... carbs for the cool factor, or EFI for the ease of driveability..... tough call.... i would go with the KA personally. more modern, EFI, and parts are a whole lot easier to come across. plus people pull single slammers out of 240s all the time for dual cams or SRs. should be able to pick one up cheap enough, if not FREE with an auto and the harnesses.

WORD^

dont they have a carb kit for the ka?

Good question, I couldn't find one but I'm sure they do. I took a picture of this '88-'92 D-21 Hardbody intake. It has a large throttle chamber that contains the MAF and throttle position sensor and stuff but still has the multi port injection.

wreckingyard2608027Large.jpg

Surely it could be removed and a 300cfm Holly 2bbl fitted.

I voted for the A series but that is just because I am carb bias. Having said that a KA with carbs would be cool, but what would be cooler would be individual throttle bodies with trumpets. OR even individual single barrel carbs! wow that would be sick especially in a wagon. Dude... you have some tough choices to make. :blink:

I have seen a KA with dual sidedraft webers. It is cool as hell, I could have bought that engine because he had it in the Hardbody and of course it can't pass the smog test like that. But I was broke.....