people at autozone are idiots

well as you can read in my project thread, my car stopped charging. i went to autozone to get a new voltage regulator. it comes in. i put it in, charging system is only putting out 13 volts. i call autozone and told them that the the regulator i just bought was bad and was only charging at 13 volts. dude tells me "well 13 volts should charge it" (anyone who knows anything about automotive elctrical knows that in order to charge the battery, the system needs to put out atleast 1.5 volts more then the batterys charge capacity.) so i tell them just get me another one this one is bad. they tell me they have another one on the shelf and to come in and get it. i go in and of course the one the guy thought would work is different. and the old guy tells me well the system will charge at 13 volts. i told him no im A.S.E. certified in auto electrical and the bare minimum to charge the battery is 13.5 volts and anything more then 15 is over charging. he comes back " well ive been in the busness for 40+ years and thats not the case" im thinking ok if you have been in the busness that long you should know 1: 13.5 is the minimum charging voltage. and 2: how do you not know that its a common thing for a voltage regulator to be bad out of the box.

i dont understand how they can let such idiots work behind the counter and advize people on repairing there cars. it drives me nuts. ::end rant::

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is obvious I think. They get paid shit to do that job. Usually the more you know the more you get paid and it's just not cost effective to have knowledgeable parts jockeys getting paid good money when you sell parts at those prices. Even the managers make as much as a c tech.

Maybe I'm bias because I'm friends with a manager who hooks me up with 50% off but.... If people want a more knowledgeable parts guy then they can go to the non chain parts store where they are more knowledgeable and pay more for the parts.

Can't have rock bottom prices and knowledgeable people, it's impossible.

I would rather trust a $30 used Nissan IR alternator from a wrecking yard. Lifetime replacement guaranteed is little comfort at 2 AM. For the third time.

Bonvo the 720 alts. were at least 50 amp and on a car there's no idler arm in the way, not like the 620s. There's lots of room to swing the larger alternator to tighten the belt. You still would have to make two short jumpers to plug onto the VR plug on the engine harness. I have an '80 200sx 50 amp IR and plan to convert my 710 over.

haha i went to get lowering blocks for my wagon and the guys at autozone had no idea wtf i was talking about :blink: i was thinking how fucking stupid do u have to b not to know wat lowering blocks are!!

i also bought a coil there and the guy behind the counter responded to me.. idk what ur talking about dogg and then his manager grabbed the product for me and the walked away as the guy responded to me again saying dog u sure u dont have a honda cause this is wat i gots on mine..... :huh:

i hate vatozone..

The answer is obvious I think. They get paid shit to do that job. Usually the more you know the more you get paid and it's just not cost effective to have knowledgeable parts jockeys getting paid good money when you sell parts at those prices. Even the managers make as much as a c tech.

Maybe I'm bias because I'm friends with a manager who hooks me up with 50% off but.... If people want a more knowledgeable parts guy then they can go to the non chain parts store where they are more knowledgeable and pay more for the parts.

Can't have rock bottom prices and knowledgeable people, it's impossible.

Exactly. I applied for one as a part time job, and for what they start out at, I'd rather sit at home. I'm not dealing with a bunch of dumbfucks that don't know a rotor button from a rocker arm all day long for $7 an hour.

Somethings I get at autozone for the price, but the employees are petty dumb.

"I need a coolant flex hose, straight, like a 2" diam. 15" long"

"for what vehicle?"

"it's kind of a universal thing...."

"coolant hose's are shaped different for certain cars"

"This doesn't have a shape, it's straight, ribbed, it's got a spring in it, and it flexes."

I ended up having to go back and grab one myself after he told me he couldn't find one.

What datzenmike said. Why the f*&K are you messing with frigging external voltage regulators, Mister ASE certified in auto electrical? Do the alternator swap (later Datsun/Nissan, Saturn, or Chevy) and move on.

cost a vr is half the price of an ir alternator and being unemploied i dont have the cash to go buy an alt and im not gonna buy parts like that from a junk yard

if anyone has a working ir alt such as datzen mike mentioned and wants to donate it to my project ill gladly take it but otherwise i cant afford to do the upgrade at the moment

Employees are parts stores are not smart....lack of intelligence is a requirement to be employed at one lol

Also, for the guy who said he was in the business for 40+ years....how bad does that sucks to wind up at autozone?

Guest kamakazi620

Employees are parts stores are not smart....lack of intelligence is a requirement to be employed at one lol

Also, for the guy who said he was in the business for 40+ years....how bad does that sucks to wind up at autozone?

At least now He dosen't have to help people......."uuhhh we don't have that" should be said to everyone

cost a vr is half the price of an ir alternator and being unemploied i dont have the cash to go buy an alt and im not gonna buy parts like that from a junk yard

if anyone has a working ir alt such as datzen mike mentioned and wants to donate it to my project ill gladly take it but otherwise i cant afford to do the upgrade at the moment

I'll bring one to Canby you can have. If I start poking through my pile of shit tomorrow, I just might make it in time, you know? :w00t:

I used to work at auto-zone and this is how they are.

They want to move the customers as fast as possible.

They hire idiots because they pay them less.

there job is to ask what year, make, and model and what part. That is it.

They would get mad at me since I would take so long with a person. They assumed that I was going to be the worst salesman of all time since I helped less customers which they assumed = a loss of profit and sales.

They were going to fire me for that until the monthly sales report came in... I was the best salesman for 6 straight months!!! The reason is simple really. If you know what the person is asking, you help him out, he would most likely buy that part and the accessories for it.

If for example Pappy chulo needed that hose. I would hand him the hose and maybe two other different sized ones just to be sure if it was the correct one. Not only that but I would offer the gaskets. If he needed the gasket then I would offer silicone and maybe the anti freeze.

I Have seen Mexican people ask for "calberas", gaskets for the "arrana" and stuff the workers wont help him them out. Or even in english they dont understand what part they are asking for. They just say... "we don't carry it"... Before they leave I stop them and help them out... 8 bucks an hour is not worth working there... I quit after working with them for a year, 2004-2005... I had enough...

The answer is obvious I think. They get paid shit to do that job. Usually the more you know the more you get paid and it's just not cost effective to have knowledgeable parts jockeys getting paid good money when you sell parts at those prices. Even the managers make as much as a c tech. Maybe I'm bias because I'm friends with a manager who hooks me up with 50% off but.... If people want a more knowledgeable parts guy then they can go to the non chain parts store where they are more knowledgeable and pay more for the parts.Can't have rock bottom prices and knowledgeable people, it's impossible.

Exactly. I applied for one as a part time job, and for what they start out at, I'd rather sit at home. I'm not dealing with a bunch of dumbfucks that don't know a rotor button from a rocker arm all day long for $7 an hour.

You guys are 100% right. Want better service pay for it!. I work at a local auto parts store. I hear stories all the time about the big auto parts stores. I must admit I'm not the most knowledgeable counterman but most of the time the people that come in are morons!. Do you're own reaserch and you have only you're self to blame. Internet has millions of ecatalogs and parts search engines. Once you get the part# call or go in call or go in and say hey I need this part. Quick and easy.

Hey bonvo what mike says is true id trust a nissan reg to a chinese one. What's to say the alt or wiring is to blame. You have been talking about upgrading the charging system in the 610. Kinda like it wasn't up to par to begin with. Parts aren't usually bad off the shelf. But there is a chance. Have them swap it. If its still bad you're probably doing something wrong. What you have to ask you're self is why did the original vr go bad?

You guys are 100% right. Want better service pay for it!. I work at a local auto parts store. I hear stories all the time about the big auto parts stores. I must admit I'm not the most knowledgeable counterman but most of the time the people that come in are morons!. Do you're own reaserch and you have only you're self to blame. Internet has millions of ecatalogs and parts search engines. Once you get the part# call or go in call or go in and say hey I need this part. Quick and easy.

Hey bonvo what mike says is true id trust a nissan reg to a chinese one. What's to say the alt or wiring is to blame. You have been talking about upgrading the charging system in the 610. Kinda like it wasn't up to par to begin with. Parts aren't usually bad off the shelf. But there is a chance. Have them swap it. If its still bad you're probably doing something wrong. What you have to ask you're self is why did the original vr go bad?

voltage regulators go bad i have seen it enough in both of my vehicles as well as my fathers it happens ive also noticed that alot of people i have talked to have gotten regulators bad out of the box many times last time i had to replace it i had to go threw 3 "new ones" before i got one that worked

i know its the regulator due to the fact that everything else is new or tested good there are all new connections (soldered and heat shrunk)at the alternator all new fusable links i tested output at the alternator its at 14 volts and just a hair under 14 with every load possible on the battery and it was tested at the plug at the regulator it was goin into the regulator at 13.8 with all loads on and leaving the regulator at 12.2 obviously its the regulator