My New Bed & Tailgate Finally

521Lvr

Well I finally got my new bed and tailgate painted.

I got the J spec tail lights and they are alot smaller than the US version.

Had way too much dead space between them and I never liked the tag way under the bed.

so I made a roll pan while I was at it.

let me know what you guys think

521NewBed001.jpg

521NewBed029.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, looks pretty good. How big are those lights? I'm hoping to swap out the tails on mine, and I want to make a rollpan as well, but I'm not sure how small I could actually go before it just looks too wierd and gets hard to see... those lights look like they're just big enough...

thanks guys

when I got the lights I was a little disappointed. they were listed to fit the 521. came from japan don't ya know.

but after I took the oe lights off and made a couple brackets they just fit. they don't hang lower than the bedside like the oe lights

still got to paint the rear of the cab b4 puttin the bed on. and once I get the whole thing in fresh paint I am going to put a matte black strobe stripe down the body line and a "Datsun" at the end. ever see a 70 AAR Cuda?

Just got to figure out what to do with the line around the gate. prolly just keep the strobe going.

yeah Pope, a dashed line. only the dashes would be longer in the front and progressively become thin lines in the rear. and then rite at the last 8-9 inches of the bed "DATSUN"

anyone got some photoshop skills know what I mean?

the roll pan was actually pretty easy to make. and it's all metal. no filler.

only prob with making them is if someone wanted different tail lights. the length would be different.

I have a 620 too and if I keep it long enough I will make 1 for it too.

wired the lights today and had to hook them up to a battery. Alot brighter than I thought they would be. I'll post a couple when I get em

peace

On the topic of bright lights...

It's super foggy over here right now... Maybe not compared to what some people are used to, but for us it is. You can't see half a block in populated areas with streetlamps, and probably less than 100' if there were none... I was on the road, and the entire way back home I was thinking about the reflectors built into taillights. I always thought they were pretty useless and didn't want them on my truck, but I want a satin paint job, so if I don't put reflectors on you might not be able to see it all that well if it's parked somewhere at night... The possibilities are NOT something I want to wake up to one morning...

Very nice!! I plan on coverting my wife's 521 tail lights to the 520 tri-colors. I like the fact that the yellow turns/hazards are far more obvious to drivers behind her. It will also have separate reflectors. The other advantage to the tail lights shown....you can buy them brand new on ebay. That, alone, makes them a better option than stock!! :)

That looks great. I'm thinking about forklift taillights for my 521 - they're small like the 520s, but have a built-in reflector. And they're tri-color.

forkliftlight.gif

$27 apiece from McMaster-Carr, but it oughta be easy to find them for less from a forklift shop. The ones on the TCM lift at work are better looking; I'm hoping to find a set of those.

Andrew

damn nice rollpan. as charliebucket said maybe you could make and sell a few of these. if so i would have to stick with the oem 521 lights though. not that i dont like yours, they look awsome. let us know if you decide to make a few and count me in.

i assume there is no license plate light?

f.b.i. recently caught one of their most wanted by him being pulled over for no license plate light.