Euro look (stretched?) tires...

pope_face

I stretch tires all the time on the cars that come through the shop. The biggest stretch I have done is a 255 45 18 on a 18x12" wide rim. In general for a good stretch on a 7" you want a 185. If its on a 14" wheel you and up with a 60 series tire so it ends up a decent stretch.

There are many reasons to stretch and the main reason is to get the rims 'hella flush' and have the tire still under the wheel well. Also the tire has no sidewall flex any longer so you and up with easier initiation for drifting.

gleb002.jpg

gleb001.jpg

This is an example of a set that was just mounted. Many tire shops wont do a stretch like this.

If you get me the wheel size I can give you a good idea of what width tire to get the amount of stretch you want.

haha, that's my friend Glebs car!!

On the subject of tires falling off the bead from tire stretch and low pressure. It's possible. In my experience though, it's mostly the wheels fault. I mounted some 205 40 18 on a 18x9.5 for a friend of mine. The bead seats didnt have a little lip on them for helping the bead stay snapped in after seating up, so when the pressure went low, it liked to pop off. However, most wheels (especially jdm imports) usually have the retainer on the bead seat of the wheels. I run 205 35 18 on my 18x9's, and have had a few flats since putting them on. They stay on fine with my wheels. Also, if you take a corner hard with tires that are way too low, it's going to most likely pop off the bead no matter what size or how far it is stretched, lol. I think most people do this to clear the fenders with the tires, and still bring the lip of the wheel all the way or a little past the fender line.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shane, what do you mean by a "retainer"? I'm slowly looking around for a new set of rims, but I don't want to miss something...

Some wheels have a small "lip" about 1/2" behind the edge of the wheel. Kind of looks like a groove for the tire bead to sit in. Most all of the better Japanese wheels have them, alot of cheaper wheels do not.

About ten years ago I had a Rabiit pickup that had a bunch of stuff done to. 16V engine, short throw 5spd, lowered all around, rear disc break conversion. And the euro tire cobo mix. 13x8s with 185/50/13. But unfortunetly i was screwing around with friends one Halloween night and got racing on the freeway and took and exit to fast, and well lets just say, it became a good find at a junk yard...

p6070128ga8.jpg

How far can I stretch my tires? I have 5-inch wide wheels with 165/55-R12 tires. Can I go to 7-inch wide wheels? Right now I have two inches between the tire and the leaf spring on my Datsun...

FYI, a 185 on a 7" wheel is a big stretch. 165 is very tough, and probably for show only. I would go to 6" or 6.5".

205mm is 8 inches wide, that will be flush but not stretched.

Yes, but on a 50-series 15" tire, that is section width, not tread width. The tire sidewall (where section width is measured) will be even with the wheel bead (not wheel lip), but the tread width will be slightly smaller. An advertised 15x8 wheel will actually be around 8.75-9" wide from lip edge to lip edge. With an 8" section width, and around a 7.5" tire tread width, you will see a tiny bit of stretch.

don;t go to far... I stretched a set of tires for my buddies skyline. told him I didn;t rust them but he drove on it anywyas.. anyhow the rear right ened up with a nail, dropped some preasure and popped off the rim.

Is the moral of that story don't stretch your tires, or don't drive around on a flat? :D

I've seen non-stretched tires pop off a bead when the pressure gets too low.

Are you blaming the stretched tires for what you did?

Sweet Caddy, though...

Oh no I wasnt blaming the car at all , it was the nut behind the wheel. I was pissed I had put alot of time and money in that truck. It was a fast s.o.b. ANd I was fittly farting around and thought I could do something I couldnt and I totalled my truck...I am just glad that I dint hurt either me or my wife. She was pissed for about a month and my dad was pissed he bought the truck new in 81 and gave it to me on my 16th birthday...Actually it handled like a charm...

well i think a big hammer is not going to be enough to make these wheels and tires clear. going to have to bring out the cutting wheels and welder for this one haha:D still got about an 1.5" till the suspension is compressed.

image02612.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

Datsunfreak: Thanks for the pic of the 510... There doesn't really seem to be much stretch at all, if any. You wouldn't happen to have another pic of the wheels/tires, would you?

Bleach: I'm going with the same thing as you, except I'm going with a 55 series instead. I think it's closer to the stock size, and I took a look at a couple on their own in a shop and the sidewall looks pretty good. I'm still looking for a shop that'll track down some smoothies for me though... when I find those I'll do a test fit.

1lo620: I wanted either a Rabbit hatch or pickup a while back, but finding a decent Caddy around here is near impossible. Actually... I've only ever seen one in the city, and I don't think the guy will be selling it anytime soon. Pretty nice trucks though...

well i think a big hammer is not going to be enough to make these wheels and tires clear.... still got about an 1.5" till the suspension is compressed.

You do know that as the suspension compresses clearance gets much better, right? If those are 195s on zero offset wheels, they will "fit" once you get it low enough.

Now the fronts are another story...

Datsunfreak: Thanks for the pic of the 510... There doesn't really seem to be much stretch at all, if any. You wouldn't happen to have another pic of the wheels/tires, would you?

It's obviously not a huge amount, but the tread is considerably narrower than the wheel width. I actually think from a performance standpoint, it's the perfect "stretch". Sidewalls are stiff, but not so stretched it's "dangerous".

Any time the tire sidewall doesn't go past the wheel lip, I say it's stretched.

Picture_047%7E2.jpg

Bleach: I'm going with the same thing as you, except I'm going with a 55 series instead. I think it's closer to the stock size

It's actually a bit taller than the stock size. The stock tire is 22.8" tall, a 195/55-15 is 23.4" tall. Your speedo will read 2-3mph lower than your actual speed, too.

FYI, a 195/50-15 is 22.7" tall, or amount 2mm shorter than stock.