Euro look (stretched?) tires...

pope_face

Thanks Ray... I'll see about the offset. I'm not sure what the stock backspacing is, but I'll try to sort that out and make sure I keep it when looking for new wheels... I don't want to rub on the fender, but I suppose the frame is a little harder to deal with, so I'll just try to find a tire/wheel combo that'll fit if I lower the truck slightly. As for those wheels you were waiting for, they're nice. What are they? :D

That sucks with the white car... but, I suppose it comes down to driving style...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I did a search for Dunlops in a 205/50R16... The SP Sport 5000 and the Direzza DZ101 seemed like the best choices...

The Direzza is VERY nice. I had two sets and liked them both a lot. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion Freak... I may actually go through with it after all...

I hope so. I'd love to see it. :thumbup:

Okay so I got my 16x7 0 offset wheels and dry mounted one on the front without the tire. The front will fit perfectly without hitting the fender and we also turned full lock both ways and it misses everything.

I will post pice when I get the tires. I decided to not go stretched since the wheels are not too wide. ordered a 205 50 16

So for all the offset questions. the 16x7 0 fits very well.

If you want to push the wheels to the edge of the fender.

7" 0 offset

8" +12

9" +25

I think thats as far as you can push but really not sure since I dont have the wheels in front of me to check.

Of course you can run higher offset but then you are running a sunken wheel.

If you want to stretch a tire.

7" a 205 is straight so slight stretch 195 and more 185.

8" a 215 is straight so slight stretch 205 and more 195.

You can probably do the math from there.

I will take pics of my wheels for offset sake. Just waiting for the tires.

Ray... you mentioned in your last post that it "depends on if the wheel is made for stretch"... When I'm looking for new wheels, is this something I should keep in mind? I always though I could stretch just about any tire on any rim, providing there wasn't too much of a difference in width.

Brian, what are the dimensions on those tires? Are they the stock diameter, or are they smaller? I'm trying to figure out what size wheel I want to go with without getting a shop to mount a bunch of different wheel/tire combos to see how they look... I'll get a couple done for test fits, but I want to have an idea what I'm going for first.

235/50/15. They're not stretched. I had a scary experience w/ running 195/50's on a 8" wide wheel. I'll think twice about running them on a daily driver especially here in Oregon.

Care to extrapolate on that post, or are you going to just leave it at "a scary experiance"?

235/50/15 would make it... 117.5 mm sidewalls on a 15" rim... so on a 14" rim, you'd need... 130.2 mm sidewalls to get the same diameter.

Assuming stock tires are 195/75R14's, the sidewalls would be... 146.25 mm. So your tires are... 32.1 mm, or 1.26" shorter than stock?

What truck are you putting those on Ray? I would roll those 8 days a week :D edit: just read one of your posts above.... Now I need pics :D

Brian weren't you thinking of running different wheels for a while? If so shotgun on your rims :D

Nah freak I am not raging.

There are wheels made for stretch they have a different barrel. Most people dont notice the barrel or the inner profile of a rim until they mount tires themselves.

If you look at 808D86's wheels there is a drop in the wheel made for mounting the tires and then if you look towards the inside bead you see how there is a long raised section. That makes it easier to stretch the tire on. Mine dont have that long raised section making it REAL hard to air a tire up if its stretched. His are not necessarily made for stretch since there is a step on the raised portion but it would make it easier.

Pope I am picking up my tires tomorrow and I may have time to mount the tires and I can measure the outer diameter of the wheel. I am pretty sure they will be smaller than the stock wheels. I called Discount tire where I ordered my tires and they used a calculator and said they will be 1.8" smaller in diameter. They did the calculation when I gave them the dimensions of my stock tires and what I wanted.

You may try giving a tire place near you and see if they can do the same. :)

There's a shop down by my place that I like to deal with... I'll head over and chat with them when I'm closer to getting wheels. I don't even have an engine yet, so wheels are still a long time off... I may not end up running stock diameter tires in order to fine-tune my highway speeds... Once I figure out the 4th gear ratio in the transmission I want to get, and the available final drive ratios, then I can balance wheel diameter and engine speed...

Care to extrapolate on that post, or are you going to just leave it at "a scary experiance"?

Well, the same reason that makes stretching popular in drifting makes it dangerous (IMHO) for daily driving. Stretching basically eliminates the sidewalls ability to flex. Sidewall flex aides in grip. With an IRS, the range of motion geometry adds to grip, but w/ a solid rear axel setup you don't have that geometry. Solid rear axel + stretched tires = easy breakaway. The first time that I took my wife out in the truck I was running some old 195/50's wrap around 15x8s. It was a little wet out. I took a freeway onramp at about 35mph and before I new it I was staring straight at the center divider wall. We fishtailed a few more times before I recovered, but I promptly got rid of those tires. An accident in the 521 would have been bad. Lap belts. No crumple zone. No air bags.

Of course thought, the tires were old so they probably gave easier then new tires would. I'd still be cautious though.

~Brian

Mmm, thanks for the advice... I suppose I didn't quite think that through all the way. I suppose I just need to meditate on this for a while and come back to it. I'd love to do it, but there's probably just too much information for me to try to sort out at the moment.

235/50/15. They're not stretched. I had a scary experience w/ running 195/50's on a 8" wide wheel. I'll think twice about running them on a daily driver especially here in Oregon.

I am planning to go with 205/50/16 for my Fairlady.... not really thinking its all that stretched since 205 is about 7" wide and I'm using 16x8 wheels.

Of course, I won't go any narrower than that.

And the Z has IRS :blink:

Personally I prefer the first two sets... I think the Revolvers are really nice...

I like the Hayashi's, but I'm not keen on the colour... maybe if they were polished with either white or black powdercoating on some parts... but, that's just me. Luckily they're all four bolt, means I couldn't use them even if I could afford them...