light weight clutch and pressure plate?

rpm

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can have the stock one machined down if you know a place. Here's where to remove material.

transflywheel_spec.jpg

Have it balanced. This is the cheapest for the lightest that I know of. Cost is machining and balance. Don't know the weight, probably under 16lb. Lightened flywheels are overrated like most performance stuff. The closer to a race car, the less enjoyable your car is to drive.

• Like 1

I checked into that too. Unless it's a full race, there's not much point. Lightening a stock L flywheel is a tricky business. Take off material on the wrong areas and it's crack prone. Not that you can't do it, but it will probably cost $100-$150 worth of machine shop work. Make sure they know what they're doing!

Mentioning what engine would prob help lol.

Fidanza makes a 200mm, 220mm and 240mm, 240mm which I assume you would be needing for that d21. That's the cheapest store bought I know off. That or like suggested prior lightening a stock one.

Expensive would be z1, stillen, rps etc... lots of choices.

Forums and ebay are prob your best bet if you need cheaper. I sold a 13lb lightened 200mm 2 weeks ago for 50 bucks on ebay and I member hear picked up a 15lb-ish fidanza style from me like a year ago for 100 shipped. Not going to get any cheaper then that.

Fidenza offers an aluminum flywheel. Get the 200mm clutch surface so you can use the Roadster clutch assy. Then there is always the small diameter quartermaster flywheel setup in single or dual disk but big $$$ and requires a special offset starter. Best to check the rules and see what is legal. When we ran a cricle track 510 alum flywheels were illegal but my friend had a old HKS lightweight steel flywheel which was legal by the rules and only weighed 10 lbs, made a big difference coming off the corners.

Seth

• Like 1

Why would you purposely use a smaller flywheel to suite a clutch or flywheel when you can get a clutch/flywheel to match ANY size clutch? Seems like bad advice to me.

The advice is great for all out road and circle track racing. It all comes down to inertia and how quickly you want something to accelerate or decelerate. Remember he is asking about a light clutch assy for a race car (truck). You also will not have any resistance to using the engine to slow the vehicle (don't ask me how I know). Same reason people want to use the smallest diameter rims possible, reducing rotating mass. It is great for racing but terrible for the street.

Seth

Get the 200mm clutch surface so you can use the Roadster clutch assy.

Seth

The advice is great for all out road and circle track racing. It all comes down to inertia and how quickly you want something to accelerate or decelerate.

Seth

Riiiiiight

You can get a 240mm (which comes stock on his truck btw) just as light as a 200mm. I stand by posting loosing 40mm of surface area be it to run a roadster assembly or w/e reason you want to list after the fact is bad advice.

Mentioning what engine would prob help lol.

Fidanza makes a 200mm, 220mm and 240mm, 240mm which I assume you would be needing for that d21. That's the cheapest store bought I know off. That or like suggested prior lightening a stock one.

Expensive would be z1, stillen, rps etc... lots of choices.

Forums and ebay are prob your best bet if you need cheaper. I sold a 13lb lightened 200mm 2 weeks ago for 50 bucks on ebay and I member hear picked up a 15lb-ish fidanza style from me like a year ago for 100 shipped. Not going to get any cheaper then that.

Well see, I just knew if I said Z you'd know. And from New Jersey too, who would have thought? :D

Well his options are all laid out for him, and then some.

Guess thats a ka in that hardbody. If that's the intended car anyway. I would upgrade to the 240mm.

I stand by posting loosing 40mm of surface area be it to run a roadster assembly or w/e reason you want to list after the fact is bad advice.

the clamping force of the roadster PP is significant over either stock.

worth the small loss in surface area.

i had a stock FW lightend to ~16lbs for $55

the clamping force of the roadster PP is significant over either stock.

worth the small loss in surface area.

i had a stock FW lightend to ~16lbs for $55

Do you have the stock roadster/2+2/turbo clamp forces handy to prove that? I actually don't believe that the roasters clamp force is is "significantly" greater over those 2 stock. Over a stock 200mm sure.

I'm aware the roadster has high stock clamp force, lets say for convos sake it's even the same as the 2+2/turbo. Doesn't it seem odd to buy a lightweight flywheel and after market clutch to then bolt on ANY stock p plate? Doesn't it make more sense to have more surface area AND clamping force? Especially on the track where it's going to be beat on? I picked up my act p plate with 5k miles on it for 25 bucks, its 55% more clamp over stock.

40mm isn't a small loss either it's 20%, that in my book is major lol. I would never sac that for a stock p plate, ever.

Never mind my lightened flywheel is just fine. Your right about the smaller diameter clutch, much less turning mass weight. Now im going to install a center force clutch for a 510 onto 225mm flywheel. Hows that grab ya. :fu:

• Like 1