barely a 510

The fab work is beautiful! All Wheel Drive is an awesome idea. How do you know what rear end gears to run? I'm also interested in seeing how the drive shaft works. I have no doubt that you will get it done I just wonder how it works :D On trips to pull a part I always stick my head under all the nissans just to see how they work. All the pics are sweet to!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

i figured i would do an update on how this project was going. after our shop getting broken into over a year ago in december, it kinda set us back at making any progress. cant do much with no welder, or any power tools for that matter.

the front clip has been in seattle for about a month now. it almost got resiezed by customs on friday, but after getting dicked around by 3 customs brokers, my dad has finally found someone that sounds like he knows what he is doing and sounds like things are going in the right direction. the broker said it should be released by the end of the week. hes been dealing with the epa and homeland security even though it already went through x-ray scans over a month and a half ago in cali. that has really been holding us back from going forward with the front end but alot of the cleaning up and primering of the cage is done now.

on another good note, my dad has bought a new set of wheels for it since the previous brand new wheels and tires had been stolen when the shop had been broken into. they are 18x9s. they are used but still in good shape with only minor rash.

CIMG3533.JPG

• 4 months later...

You know I really dont think it's right to talk shit about peoples work if you dont have a clear picture of the welds. I've looked through all the pictures and there are NO clear pictures of his welds so why would you sit there and talk shit about his Skills?

Now if you have seen the welds UPCLOSE and PERSONAL then fire him off a PM and dont ridicule him in public.

I'm all for constructive criticism but I also think there is a proper way to give it.

To the O.P. I like where you're going with this car. Cant wait to see it done.

When you've done welding professionally, you know what to look for.

I was not trying to hack on his project, merely suggesting that if he is going to put that much work into it he may want to practice some more. If he was near me I'd be more than happy to give some pointers and even help out in person.

i cant give much of an update as far as pictures go but some stuff has changed. we did get the front clip in a month ago but i havnt gotten to see it yet. my dad has gotten a few things done on it but its been a little bit since ive seen it due to being really busy.

as far as the welding goes, i understand what you are saying. it is partialy because of the welder we were using, but we did get a brand new one since then. i had also started taking over on the welding because i didnt like how they were turning out and have redone a few of the sections. some of the welds also dont look too pretty but really did get great penetration. they are also getting smoothed and body filler before primer and paint.

You know I really dont think it's right to talk shit about peoples work if you dont have a clear picture of the welds. I've looked through all the pictures and there are NO clear pictures of his welds so why would you sit there and talk shit about his Skills?

Now if you have seen the welds UPCLOSE and PERSONAL then fire him off a PM and dont ridicule him in public.

I'm all for constructive criticism but I also think there is a proper way to give it.

To the O.P. I like where you're going with this car. Cant wait to see it done.

it's clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. look at the welds on the cage intersections and joints. you don't need a high resolution pic to tell that those welds are not the best. anytime you weld up your own cage, you are putting your own life at risk. i dont think yellowdatsun was wrong in pointing this out.

personally, i'm a shitty welder. i would be lucky if i can get welds to look like these, even though they are not the greatest.

LAYEDOUTB2K: Yeh it just takes time. I started welding way back in high school, some 16 years ago. Just takes practice.

Your already on the right track, in re-doing some of the bad ones. Even I have to re-do some on occasion, just grind it out and go over it. No biggie, but definitely worth the time. Especially on a car like yours where your cage is supporting everything, your life depends on it.

yeah, he is still kickin his ass for cuttin it up like that. the whole plan in the beginning was not to cut anything at all. its also a shame that while working on it we each picked up more 510s while working on it. they wouldve been way better cars to do that to.

2000951214782317786_rs.jpg

the blue one got the leibers and this nifty piece of work outta the red one

2001362200111769743_rs.jpg

1lo620- thats one clean datsun you got. saw it up at summer slam this year. i had no truck to bring this year:( because i was too busy workin on this thing.

love the asian blue 4 door:cool:

You wouldn't happen to have the lips off of those rear fenders still laying around would you? Cause' I'd love to have them. I need some for my '72 510.

i had asked my dad about those a while back but he is going to hold on to them. he wants to keep them just in case he finds another project down the road that needs them.

My understanding was that it's actually not the internals that are problematic, but the case itself. If you haven't already, I would recommend checking out the GTIR Owners Club and the GTIR Modifiers Club. There's also Canada GTIR for something a little closer to home.

he had under stood that it was the internals but ill have to let him know and take a look at those sites. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Keep it up!

I see too many projects that are so large, the owners get burned out/cashed out before it is completed and end up selling off the whole mess. Or, they get distracted with a shiny new project car and the old ones sits in the corner like a forgotten old cat.

I want to see how you get the GTi-r front hubs/struts in there.....Actually, I predict you will cut away all the 510 engine bay & subframe and make a new frame out of tubing!

p.s. The square tubing that your rear control arms attach to look pretty thin/weak, gusset those things up. Huge forces are transferred from the control arms to the frame, especially with big ass sticky tires!

i know what you mean about huge projects. the only reason its been idle for a while is waiting for the front clip to show up. it took over a year and a half from paying for it til arriving here. you wouldnt believe the problems with customs/epa that we had.

as far as the struts go, we will either use the the the gti-r strut towers and subframe or make our on tubular setup using the gti-r ones as a guide. since we got the whole clip, we are using it to as much of advantage as we can.

that picture was before we added gussets as i think i had mentioned right by the pic but thanks for looking out.

• 5 months later...

Well, this racing season has drained a lot of time and funds so it's been idle for a little while. I haven't seen it in a little bit but my dad said the clip is completely cut down to what he needs and doesn't. He will be using part of the subframe and strut towers to mock the front end up. As soon as this extreme cold in the teens passes by, we should get right back into it. The goal is to at least have it a roller and trailer it to canby next year if we get enough done.

Here is the front clip when it arrived after the body work and some other things were removed.

0607092047.jpg

0609092012.jpg

0607092047b.jpg

0607092048.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...