• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think it was like '70...

Edit: According to the Chilton '70-'88 Nissan Pickup manual:

1970-72 L16

1973-74 L18

1975-80 L20B

I think there was a cutoff date though... I have a '70 521 with the J13, but I don't remember the date of manufacture...

Gotta love how all those sources are wrong, somehow.

The L16 was built from 1967 (1968 model year) to the early 80s. It was only sold in the US for the 1968-73 model years in the following models:

1968-73 510

1970-72 521

1972.5-73 620.

It continued to be an optional engine in the Japanese, Asian, European, and African markets into the '80s, mostly in Bluebird and Violet chassis.

Gotta love how all those sources are wrong, somehow.

The L16 was built from 1967 (1968 model year) to the early 80s. It was only sold in the US for the 1968-73 model years in the following models:

1968-73 510

1970-72 521

1972.5-73 620.

It continued to be an optional engine in the Japanese, Asian, European, and African markets into the '80s, mostly in Bluebird and Violet chassis.

was it wrong?

i don't ever take wikipedia as stone cold fact (because it's a wiki), but it looks like it says the same thing as what you said. well except for the optional equipment part.

Hey Tnip: I did look on the web. I LOOKED HERE! I also found someone here that said he just picked up a 521 with what they thought was a J13 in it. I personally found this rather odd. So, rather than question his knowledge, I took it upon myself to ask the "experts".

Thanks guys.

Jester

so because somebody got a truck with one of a couple of optional engines you thought you'd ask when another optional engine went into production rather than just look it up? i don't understand apparently. you wouldn't happen to be the guy that put together that 521 in your avatar would you?

who bitched about you asking a question? i just made a light hearted remark about the fact that you were asking a very simple question. will you feel better if i go back and edit in some smilies? or will you still be butt hurt that i said you could've just as easily looked it up.

and if you had already found the answer to your question what were you asking about?

I understand the frustration of having a dozen newbies a week asking the same damn qestion week in and week out. I have been doing a lot searching here and accross the web for info on Datsuns.

I have two other web forums that I personally have over a 1000 posts on them. I know what your saying. Please forgive me for jumping down your throat, I am just not a lazy ass that would rather find the answer with my mounth than my eyes.

Jester

They didn't have to have side markers until the 1970 model year, but the changeover was in the 1969 calendar year. My '68, built in 1968, has neither side markers nor side reflectors. But it's a '68 520, not a 521. There is such thing as a '68 521, which has the 521 front end and the 520 type taillights. The true 1969 year 521s had round reflectors and 521 taillights. But someone could swap around to either, or swap beds/fenders on later 521s to truly eliminate the holes fro the lights (vs welding or bondoing them up). 521s in the US for '68-69 used the J13... true 1970 model year 521s in the US have square sidelights and L16 engines.

There are numerous Datsuns out there with the titles off by a year... 1970s marked as '69s, vice versa, I've even heard of a 521 titled as a '73. Paperwork gets screwed up. I have a trailer that the VIN has a typo on the paperwork- 2 numbers are inverted. It happens.

The real model year tale is told by the VIN. The first digit after the model code is the year code on Datsuns built berfore the "standardized US VIN" in 1980.

Daniel... I think I know what you mean about the different fenders. I'm trying to locate a decent set to replace mine with, and I drove out to the boonies last week to take a look at a set that someone had. Unfortunatly, they ended up being the wrong style... the front on these came down all the way to the bottom of the wheel well (mine end right around the top of the bumper), and the entire fender seemed shorter (grille to windshield) by a couple inches... Kinda makes it a hassle to find decent replacement parts, especially with the lack of 521's on this side of the border...

You'll also have to remember that back in the day the Year on the Title was the year of sale not the year of build.

This leads to a whole lot of confusion, unless the car was a specific design for a specific year.

Always go by the VIN ;)

dholic that is some good info. are you really human? or a vast computer hard drive?

wow l16's were made that long huh. i would have never thought. and here i was worried i wouldn't be able to find one. loose l16 on craigslist everywhere, nobody wants them.:(

is there a way too date a l16?

i too had a title 1970 521 with round side markers. no engine but the coil was mounted on the firewall. i cant stand the look of that coil location.:mad:

Take it to dinner, buy 10W40 for drinks...

itll take A LOT more that that for it to put out :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so yea i thought this thread was gonna turn ugly for a second.. glad it didnt.. we're always happy to answer stupid questions, i've asked SO MANY i've lost count.. no one ever bitches at me... an sometimes the net isnt very helpful with just "searching"