510 craze....bullshit

When I saw a boxy little car that looked bad ass and wanted a hobby car I decided to start looking on CL for one. I found one I think in Port Orchard or somewhere. It was orange had a roll cage and was sitting there in a field. I called him and he said he had about thirty calls since the day he posted and the first guy bought it. The guy wanted 600 bucks. Does anyone here recall or have this car? Now you cant find one for under 2500 and up to 10,000, I am 30 and have never had even close to 2500 cash in savings to buy shieeot. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like a cheap crusty on for a DD but damn not anymore I guess.:confused::fu:

Edited by SRSANDS
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you do all that with less than 2500 cash and no credit card?

I have no credit cards now, at that time I had golden credit and invested used my first house as collateral for a sba loan, opened and owned EMERALD CITY SMOOTHIE, still open still going strong. Dont get me wrong, I put 40,000 down on my house im in now, Im talking spending-savings cash. Its always going somewhere other than money to burn on a old cool car, groceries, day to day bs bills....and a little towards the 510 each payday :)

5 of the 6 2 door 510's ive owned I paid less then 500 for used to see them more and know where more were located in peoples yards. Now i hardley ever see them just sitting in someones yard

HARDLY????? Let me know if you see another.....I want a four door!!! Frank and Jeff steal them all down here south and north.....but I have good friends in Vancouver....a reason to go visit them!!!!:)

Seriously guys? I mean seriously?...... Try living where you NEVER see a datsun be it on the road or a yard. Try having to pay some retarded prices like 5k for a beat up stock barely running but street-able 510. I can count on my hands how many TOTAL datsuns I have seen outside of a car show of some kind or a gathering of friends from all over the tri-state. I have only seen like 3 or 4 510s EVER, only ONE 1200. This is for ever too not recent.....

How many non west coast datsuns in the sightings thread? :fu:

At least you guys had and still if you hunt have deals, esp if your willing to turn it into a project. You'd have to be blessed from up on high, shit on by a bird, had just hit the lotto, stepped in dog shit, blown out some birthday candles and won the fat end of a wish bone to find ANY 510 in ANY condition for those kinds of prices here. You'd be hard pressed to find a running one for under 2k, and that would be beat to shit probably with no title.

Should appreciate living in the land of datsuns a little more imho :lol:

First you must become zen with Datsuns. Then you will no longer look for Datsuns. Instead, Datsuns will look for you.

I'm actually completely serious. Bought my orange beast for $350. Bought the two wagons for about $350 each. So I've never paid more than $350 for any 510 I've owned, granted that is only 3. But I did pay 1200 for my nice 521 that I wish I still had. Shouldn't have sold it. I know of a few 510s here and there, and I just keep my eye on them. But I don't have the money to spend on another Datsun at current. They know that, which is why none have presented themselves to me for a steal of a price. :D

It is our fault. the 25-35 crowd. Those cares were around when we were growing up. This is why we dig them. This is why now that they are 36-41 years old, they are hard to find. Look at the 67-69 camaro, All of the good ones gone the rest are hacked and a few diamonds left. Those cars when I was in highschool were cheap, so were 510's. A friend of mine has like 30k in her 69 camaro. You could dump 30 into a dime quick if you had to pay someone else to do the work for you.

This is our hobby, take a lighter approach, wait for it to find you. I come up on shit all the time. Be patient, this is your first car build right? It won't be your last, enjoy this one and look forward to building the next one or this one again later.

Keep your feelers out with non datsun people. My dad finds me shit all the time because he has friends always looking for stuff for him or me. Or get in the car and go find old wrecking yards, or go on a nice drive with the wife, I find cars this way all the time. Remember where you saw it and go back later.

Happy Hunting

Bryce:D

You aren't looking hard enough if you cant find one in CA for below 2000. :lol:

Also... a 600 dollar datsun turns into a 2000 dollar datsun only by spending money on it lol...

I got my roadster for like 200-400 bucks and now have probably spent around 1500 on just parts to get it remotely close to finished. Another 1-2k and it shall be done :lol:

First you must become zen with Datsun's. Then you will no longer look for Datsun's. Instead, Datsun's will look for you.

its true i bought my first 510 8 years ago. Had it parked in front of my house,and some guy came up and asked if i was in to the 510s blah blah blah of course i said yes, the next thing i know he gives me a goon and a 4dr parts car :eek::eek:. Then a couple weeks later a buddy was hooking up cable at some guys house and there was a 510 in the back yard was, he talk to them, i came back they asked me if i was the guy that lived on upriver, I said "yea"and he gave me the 510 and said that he and his wife where going to stop and see if i wanted it it looked like a good home:lol:

just wait the right one will find you

You aren't looking hard enough if you cant find one in CA for below 2000. :lol:

Also... a 600 dollar datsun turns into a 2000 dollar datsun only by spending money on it lol...

I got my roadster for like 200-400 bucks and now have probably spent around 1500 on just parts to get it remotely close to finished. Another 1-2k and it shall be done :lol:

If I found a relatively Rust free 65-67 SPL311 in the rust belt, I'd shit myself. I've only ever seen two living up here and going to car shows for ten years. TWO!.

If I found said roadster for less than the cost of a house around here, I will only assume that it is a sign from God that he wants me to own a roadster.

The things I'd do for a 1600. Sheesh.

Maybe get in touch with James? He's currently got 7 or 8 510's for sale in various condition and build stages. From what I can tell, this guy knows what he's doing with these cars and has enough experience with them to tell you honestly what's up with each one....

Sounds like you've accomplished some pretty good stuff in 30 years. :)

Hope you find what you're looking for.

First you must become zen with Datsuns. Then you will no longer look for Datsuns. Instead, Datsuns will look for you.

its true :lol: I have a parts zen

I got my 240z for $1500, $900 for the goon, and $700 for the 280zx (and its the cleanest out of all of them lol)

I remember buying a 510 wagon back in 92 for $300, because the PO could get the car to run right. This wagon had just been purchaced from the original owner who at 85 + couldn't leagally drive anymore but it was CLEAN. After changing the points at a friends house and pulling a piece of duff out of a main jet I drove it home at 75 mph.

I found a 510 wagon that my young brother drove for years for $200, put less than a grand into it with a rebuilt 1800 , weber dgv, electronic Ign, some fake pannasports and even lowered it a bit, then drove it back to His place 3 hrs away at 80 mph without any problems.

When I saw the hotwheels 510 at Wal Mart and a wagon on the cover of SD CD I knew the 510 was going to be a somewhat resurgent "FAD" item, no different than the current bicycle fixed year craze which I guess I was 20 years ahead of also with my 86 Schwinn Madison. (Still have the Schwinn and own a 510).

Edited by 510six