Should I bother?

nukeday

Found a '69 510 2dr through my dad. It's a pile and is missing the engine and transmission. It's buried in a blackberry patch in some undisclosed location on the Oregon coast. Don't have any pics, and I'm on the fence on if I'm going to pursue it at all.

What I'm wondering is if I can put a '78 B210 A series engine & 5 speed in it?

Why or why not?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesn't have major body damage or horrible rust, it has to be worth grabbing, unless the guy has a crazy price in mind. And if it has a good title, although I don't know what is involved in OR on a lost title car. Probably not easy though. Big questions - do you enjoy working on Datsuns, and do you have the time? Likely quite a bit of work involved in this one, but if you like to do it, its not really work.

You could put an A-series in, but don't. It will decrease the value of the 510, and probably be more work than going with an L-series engine. Aren't those 5-speeds for an A-series what a lot of MG owners looking for? You might sell that trans for enough to get a decent used L engine and 5-speed.

Len

I'll check in with dad again and see if he can get some photos. He still struggles with downloading and saving them. I *think* he knows how to email them. It's a minimum 2 hour drive one way to go see him, but he's usually pretty specific when he describes Datsun stuff. Not sure he knows where to check for rust, from what he described, the car is almost encapsulated in blackberry briars. It's possible that we can't even get the doors and trunk open until it's pulled out of the field. I think he said it's black.

Could be a gem under there, could be that we should just leave it alone. Hacking down blackberry bushes, trudging through the mud, and hooking up a tractor to find that the bottom half of the car is full of rust would just piss me off. Remember, this is out by the Oregon coast, if it's not bottom rotten from sitting in the dirt, it's probably been exposed to a lot of salt laden air. Could be the only thing worth saving is a window or two...

I'll check in with dad again and see if he can get some photos. He still struggles with downloading and saving them. I *think* he knows how to email them. It's a minimum 2 hour drive one way to go see him, but he's usually pretty specific when he describes Datsun stuff. Not sure he knows where to check for rust, from what he described, the car is almost encapsulated in blackberry briars. It's possible that we can't even get the doors and trunk open until it's pulled out of the field. I think he said it's black.

Could be a gem under there, could be that we should just leave it alone. Hacking down blackberry bushes, trudging through the mud, and hooking up a tractor to find that the bottom half of the car is full of rust would just piss me off. Remember, this is out by the Oregon coast, if it's not bottom rotten from sitting in the dirt, it's probably been exposed to a lot of salt laden air. Could be the only thing worth saving is a window or two...

We pulled this one from under so much heavy brush, you could not see the car until it was cut away. It had been parked in 1980. The bottom was rusty but it is a great parts car.

This car was found behind a guys house buried under some very thick brush and bramble. The story we got was that the car was parked on a concrete pad next to a storage barn in 1980. It belonged to the guys neighbor and they were issues in the family so it just sat there. The weeds and brush grew up all around it until you could no longer see the car in the middle of it all. My friend JB got a tip about the car last spring and that is when we went out there to take a look at it. The brush around it It was so thick, it had to be cut with a chain saw to get the car out. We finally got past the wasps nests and all the brush and were able to get to see the car. It looked pretty rusty but it was complete and only had 60K miles on it.

Possum_28.jpg

Possum_26.jpg

Possum_23.jpg

Possum_29.jpg

Possum_30.jpg

Possum_15.jpg

Possum_16.jpg

Possum_18.jpg

Possum_10.jpg

Possum_11.jpg

Possum_12.jpg

Possum_8.jpg

Possum_9.jpg

Possum_3.jpg

Possum_4.jpg

Possum_5.jpg

Possum_6.jpg

Possum_7.jpg

Possum_2.jpg

Possum_1.jpg

Go get it. How often do they come along?