It followed me home 1967 520 pickup!

1hr40minlate

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you believe that before I adjusted the valves I did not know this was a push-rod motor?

Is there anyone out there that has "built" a j13?

Does anyone have some hi-po goodies?

I have an aluminum oil pan for an r-16 if anyone has some stuff for trade.

If I can get the J13 strong enough then I will not need the L20 with the rebuilt round port head. I still need a 5 spd. If there is a better fit for the J then I will let the 620 5 speed go. Maybe I should change the rear gear instead?

You'll never really get any HP out of the J13... they're 67HP at the flywheel, stock. Performance upgrades are limited basically to a better carb (some J-engines had dual sidedrafts, but it's hard to do with the solid steering shaft in the way). Coupled with the fact that there's no bolt-on 5-speed and the 4.88 rear gears, if you want to overpower the brake and steering capabilities (not hard to do) you need to switch engines. Easier said that done...

My 520 has a Mexican J15 (77HP, woo-hoo!), the stock 4-speed and 4.375 rear gears out of a newer 521. It's freeway driveable at that point, but 70-75 is pushing it.

Hello Datsunaholic,

So is this why we don't see a whole bunch of 520's flying around town?

I have seen somewhere that I can bore the block to 35mm pistons or so and get the engine to 1800cc's. Then I have the task of fitting a weber.

Is there anything in the area of a modified cam for the pushrod motors?

I found the post discussing the adapter plate blend of the j13 and L series motors. I think that I can do that since I have access to some Cad routers and software. While I am at it I will try to make some brackets to hang calipers and rotors up front.

I understand over powering the brakes - is there a speed limit on the suspension? I found that it wobbles badly at 60. I thought it was just worn parts.

Thank you!

Seemed peppy in reverse! It spun the wheels all the way up the hill!

They all do. Weight transfers to the engine end of the truck when reversing and lightens the rear wheels so they loose traction. This is even more pronounced backing UP a hill. (plus 4:88 gears)

Can I bolt in the front end from a 620 (disk brakes)?

There are two trucks. A 78 620 King cab that has been folded in half and a 77 620 parts truck.

The 78 has 50K old front suspension and a good running motor - The carb was a bit worn though.

Both Trucks have 5 speeds.

Is the '78 frame toast??? If you can cut the front off the '78 and weld to the rear '77 and get one good frame, this would give you L20B(s) and 5 spd(s) with power disc brakes, ball joints (50k miles is nothing!) also EI ignition. Just swap your body onto the new improver frame. If the '78 frame is good to behind the torsion bars, maybe cut it there and weld to your 520?

Went and got the engine oil changed. Seems that no one has a filter. Anyone have a part number for me? I had them put 30wt in the transmission.

Get some 80W-90W gear oil in that tranny!!! 30W is way too thin for Georgia. I run 90W synthetic in BC climate.

Hello Datzen Mike,

Thanks for the info.

The frame cut, weld swap is a bit too much for me. I want the truck to look as stock as possible and aside from the engine internals be able to reverse any change that I make. If the truck was a basket case the Franken frame would be a good way to go.

I will get the 80-90 weight gear oil in the Transmission ASAP. I had a 96 Nissan truck that I had the trans oil changed in. 90 Wt gear oil was put into it and I could not shift it at all. I thought that might have happened to the 520.

1hr40

yea ga residents will tell ya, global warming has certainly affected the climate here. hasn't snowed in this part of ga (just south of atlanta, about central ga) for about 15 years, even then it was only snowing because of a freak blizzard that made it down here. as i sit here it's only down to about 60 outside, and that's only because its cloudy and raining, yesterday was a lil overcast and still about 75. i'm not real familiar with the weather in BC, but i would guess it's colder there than here for most of the year. so if 90w is good in bc wouldn't it be more like 60-70w for ga?

yea ga residents will tell ya, global warming has certainly affected the climate here. hasn't snowed in this part of ga (just south of atlanta, about central ga) for about 15 years, even then it was only snowing because of a freak blizzard that made it down here. as i sit here it's only down to about 60 outside, and that's only because its cloudy and raining, yesterday was a lil overcast and still about 75. i'm not real familiar with the weather in BC, but i would guess it's colder there than here for most of the year. so if 90w is good in bc wouldn't it be more like 60-70w for ga?

I think that colder weather needs lower viscosity and our warmer weather needs thicker or higher viscosity. If 90 is fine for cold weather BC then I should be okay with it. I have a friend that runs 20w50 in his. Any chance someone has a manual for the definitive answer?

My truck turns easier with the rain!

1hr40

that is a great find 1hr. i did see this on craigslist after i bought mine some time ago. the owned had it under a cover i remember. at least it looks just like it. they sure are slow like u said tho. but gotta love the thumbs up wherever u go with it. ENJOY IT! i say scrap the j13 and go ka.

now whats the deal with the gears? what is a good ratio to have for hwy driving? lots of my driving is hwy here in fl. by the way if you ga guys start some type of meet, ill make sure i take my lazy ass upthere for it. as soon as the ka is in tho. itll take me a week with this motor!!!

Hey Drastic,

I will let you know what I end up swapping into the rear. I have been told that the roadster 3.88 will swap in after moving the spider gears from the truck into the roadster carrier. Should give an approximate drop of 25% in RPM. The 520 rear is a xx-190. Seems that alot of the Datsuns used this same rear end with different ratios. The stock ratio for the 520 is 4.875. The axles are fine spline. So any fine spline 190 rear that has a taller ratio than 4:875 should be good. I guess that you should not go too tall is you have not changed the motor and or transmission.

1hr40

I have a diff from a 620 in my 520, 3.89 gears. Much more driveable then standard. Just takes more work to get it going. I use mine for short commute to work. It's fine for that. 1hr. you might want to get some door weatherstripping. The rattle must be driving you crazy.

I have a diff from a 620 in my 520, 3.89 gears. Much more driveable then standard. Just takes more work to get it going. I use mine for short commute to work. It's fine for that. 1hr. you might want to get some door weatherstripping. The rattle must be driving you crazy.

Yeah the rattle is pretty bad. It is somewhat drowned out by the exhaust leak and the wind coming through the drain plug holes in the floor.

Anyone got a good lead on door seals and window scrapers?

1hr40

Yeah the rattle is pretty bad. It is somewhat drowned out by the exhaust leak and the wind coming through the drain plug holes in the floor.

Anyone got a good lead on door seals and window scrapers?

1hr40

I see seals on Ebay all the time. The scrapers I ordered from a guy on e-bay, but it now, but he ran out before he could ship my order, so I still need some. But he said he was going to get more. I should try to track on his info again.

i got tired of searching foe the door seals and window scrapers so i used the seals from a 92 camry around the doors. works like a charm. nice and tight. for the indow tracks i used the ones from a b2000. works pretty well. besides its only a temp fix and only cost 15 bucks for everything at the u pull it!!!!

nice truck, i love the interior pull handles and the steering wheel horn ring!! i just bought one of those steering wheel horn ring setup from epray and think i may have paid too much. i hope it will go on my 521

i'm with dmike put some 80/90 synthetic in there.

i read somewhere that the 520 is more rare than the 320 even? dont know if it's true, maybe more 520's have been crushed. i can tell you one thing there aren't many 520's around.

i'd go with the l20b setup personally.

• 1 year later...

You are really Lucky my friend, I have a 67 520 datsun. and I will suggest you to keep it as much original as possible, there are only few of this truck on the road today, I live in California and I only have seen one truck in person, and I have seen about 3 or 4 on the internet, so thing really good first before you start working on you truck.

Whatever you do with it, good luck.

Check my truck http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy313/onunez65falcon/

You are really Lucky my friend, I have a 67 520 datsun. and I will suggest you to keep it as much original as possible, there are only few of this truck on the road today, I live in California and I only have seen one truck in person, and I have seen about 3 or 4 on the internet, so thing really good first before you start working on you truck.

Whatever you do with it, good luck.

Check my truck http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy313/onunez65falcon/

Are you not looking to sell yours? :confused: