got a goon... its a beater...

mike

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

I picked this guy up the other day, I dont think theres a straight or rust free body panel on it but the price was right. Its got an L20 with an A87 head, matchbox, bigger alternator, weber and a dogleg. It came with some old carrol shelby 14" mesh wheels with tires that are dryrotted all to hell. The 13s that are on it came with the car, the guy had them on his sr20det 2 door so the backs are a little bald to say the least.

Its got something wrong in the front end, I havent had a chance to check it out yet but Im thinking its bumpsteer??? (ive never experienced it with IFS so Im just guessing) I think its got 280zx struts with lowering springs... and no spacers... at least Im hoping this the problem... the steering feels tight and responsive but it wanders every time I hit a bump or a rut in the road... sometimes bad enough to make it want to swap lanes... One of the sway bar mounts is busted, the rear springs are kinda mushy, shocks are absolute shite, its got a million or so rattles clanks and squeaks.

Aside from that its a blast to drive and with the 13/50s its not too shabby off the line. I was dinking around last night and was trying to take off kinda quick without spinning the the shit out of the tires in the rain. I wasnt really on it, barely past half throttle or so. I put it in 4th and let off the throttle and got passed by some dolt in a 90s accord damn near at redline:lol: Made me wish I would have been trying.

Anyways it needs a bunch of work... mostly little stuff, and this is my first dime so Im going to have a ton of questions... mostly suspension and electrical... I stayed up way past my bed time last night looking for LSD options for the rear:rolleyes:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figure Ill start a wishlist... I know where three are sitting to get parts from, each one about an hour drive in a different direction... but heres a list none the less. One for must haves and one for wants...

Need-

Windshield wiper motor... rain sucks

speedo/guage cluster

speedo cable that will work with the dogleg 5spd

blinker assembly (or a fix for a loose handle)

door and ignition keys... thinking solex for the doors

bumpsteer spacers

tall skinny siped/studs for snow (14")

Good late 71 wiring harness (or a good OEM wiring diagram)

Want-

bumpers F&R (I like the looks of the overriders)

Oldschool amber fogs/driving lights

Spook or some sort of airdam

fenders (both sides)

headlight bezels (the parts that are missing)

HID/projectors... might just do halogens with relays

good shocks(might buy new... looking for comfortable ride and decent handling)

Big swaybar in front, dont know my options in rear (extra leaf w/ swaybar?)...

rear hatch

rear door handles (might shave)

Im curious how ZX flares would look on this thing with the 13s...

I should probably document the crap that I do to this thing, on my 74 Ive gone through just about everything and made it a point to make it look like I never touched it. This is going to be way more fun;) End goal is something that looks cool from 10 feet but isnt too nice to park at walmart...

Looks like a fun project. I think "beaters" can be more fun because expectations are lower, and you don't feel bad about doing stuff you really wouldn't want to do to a nicer car. My 521 is like that.

I like the overrides too. Seems like a lot of people take them off, so there must be extras laying around. Those 13s actually look pretty cool too. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. Post some pics as you progress.

btw, this quote is perfect:

End goal is something that looks cool from 10 feet but isnt too nice to park at walmart...

This should be the moto for my pickup.

Mike - Your timing sucks. Just about a week ago the crusher got my neighbors wagon. Almost no usable parts left on it, but might have had a wiring harness. Oh well. I meant to get back and get the wiring and heater and a few other things, but ran out of time. I'm trying to get my 510 running before it get too cold to work on it. I think I do have the gauge cluster from that wagon, although I think the clear plastic cover is broken out. You might get a better cluster somewhere else. Let me know if you are interested. I may be in Spokane tomorrow. If not, probably Sat.

If you need a wiper motor, you probably should do the Mazda motor conversion. It was written up in "Dime Quarterly", but maybe something here on this forum too. Stock 510 wipers are pretty minimal.

This guy may have a parts wagon: http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/1431479495.html I think he had one in an earlier ad this year.

Len

Need-

speedo/guage cluster

speedo cable that will work with the dogleg 5spd

Want-

good shocks(might buy new... looking for comfortable ride and decent handling)

rear hatch

have a stock cluster avail $15

stock speedo cable will work for the dogleg.

i have brand new set of KYB GR2's (for whatever i paid ~$25?)

i have a hatch (but its over here...)

Little update... Found a parts car, its a sedan, its been wrecked, its literally been beat with a stick or a pipe and its been raped for parts but its got some neato stuff... 280zx struts, and a steering box brace and the gauge cluster that I need in what appears to be good shape. I scored a drivers and passenger mirroor off a 620 at the yard the other day too, so I can get rid of the cheap ugly POS thats on there.

Havent worked on it much other than gathering/scrounging for parts... probably going to work on it tomorrow if I have time after stripping the parts car of the pieces the thieves and vandals didnt get... Im going to temporarily halfass fix the drivers floor and put some super duper race seats in that I got off of craigslist a while back that didnt fit the theme of the 620.

Ill take some pics if theres still light out too...

Len, what do you need to get your 510 back on the road? Ill see if this sedan has got it. If you need motor stuff Ive got quite the stash...

Hang 510, thanks for the info on the speedo cable, Im interested in the shocks but my bank account needs a couple weeks to recuperate...:rolleyes: If youve still got them after the first let me know.

Ive got a question... I scored a flipped crossmember and a modded rear moustache bar and a bunch of other this and that stuff... I think the goon is friggin sweet but when looking for a few parts I found a solid 2dr shell that when all said and done is going to be about the same amount of work as the goon, just in different areas...

Convenience and comfort wise the goon makes an awesome parts getter, better than the 620 with no canopy... Ive only got room for two rigs and Im kind of in a dilemma... Should I ditch the goon and or the 620 to free up space for the 2dr or just stick with what Ive got and SR/KA the goon farther down the road???

The 620 is stock as a rock and pretty damn clean with the exception of faded original paint and a cracked dash... no rust and EVERYTHING works... except low speed on the fan... 43K original miles... Part of the reason for not putting a canopy on it is that I dont want to drill holes... Its the rig that got me into datsuns so its kind of sentimental and no shit its one of the most reliable and best driving rigs Ive ever owned...

The goon... electrical is fubar, bodies got plenty of rust, looks sweet in a dirty whore sort of way and gets rubber in third (trying not to make a habit of it :lol:) To make it nice and swap motors would make it a money pit real quick... For all its issues its more fun to drive than the 620, Im not worried about driving/parking it and Im not worried about thrashing on it...

the 2dr... needs full resto but pretty solid... it wont be a driver for a while... Ive got everything except for the motor and trans and electronics interior panels and LSD... I figure if I sell one of the others it will get me the money for an SR20det/5spd and Ive got the winter to sort it out... Im afraid I might go all out on it and go broke...

kinda just looking for opinions on if I should get the 2dr... What would you do?

Heres the 620, Ive got a cherry hood to replace this one if I paint it...

CopyofDatsunstuff018.jpg

Mike - Thanks for the parts offer. I think I've got everything I need right now, except time and energy. But probably the next time I get near my car, I'll see something I need. I don't know if you are having to pay for parts from the sedan you found or not. If it is free for the taking, get every last part and nut and bolt you can. I had a chance to strip a 510 hulk a few years ago, and should have gotten a lot more parts than I did.

If you can only keep 2 of 3, I'd absolutely go for the 2-dr 510 first. Most fun to drive, and will always be worth more and easier to sell than either of the others. On Spokane Craigslist, 620s seem to be more common than 510 wagons, although I suspect most of the 620s are kind of beaters, and yours sounds nice. So I'm thinking the wagon might be easier to sell, but in the condition it's in, you might not get a lot for it. Gotta remember Spokane guys are cheap, cheap, cheeeeap. Also sounds like the 620 may be more reliable, if it's your daily. If you can't decide, stick em both on CL and see which sells first.

Len

Ive got a question... I scored a flipped crossmember and a modded rear moustache bar and a bunch of other this and that stuff... I think the goon is friggin sweet but when looking for a few parts I found a solid 2dr shell that when all said and done is going to be about the same amount of work as the goon, just in different areas...

Convenience and comfort wise the goon makes an awesome parts getter, better than the 620 with no canopy... Ive only got room for two rigs and Im kind of in a dilemma... Should I ditch the goon and or the 620 to free up space for the 2dr or just stick with what Ive got and SR/KA the goon farther down the road???

The 620 is stock as a rock and pretty damn clean with the exception of faded original paint and a cracked dash... no rust and EVERYTHING works... except low speed on the fan... 43K original miles... Part of the reason for not putting a canopy on it is that I dont want to drill holes... Its the rig that got me into datsuns so its kind of sentimental and no shit its one of the most reliable and best driving rigs Ive ever owned...

The goon... electrical is fubar, bodies got plenty of rust, looks sweet in a dirty whore sort of way and gets rubber in third (trying not to make a habit of it :lol:) To make it nice and swap motors would make it a money pit real quick... For all its issues its more fun to drive than the 620, Im not worried about driving/parking it and Im not worried about thrashing on it...

the 2dr... needs full resto but pretty solid... it wont be a driver for a while... Ive got everything except for the motor and trans and electronics interior panels and LSD... I figure if I sell one of the others it will get me the money for an SR20det/5spd and Ive got the winter to sort it out... Im afraid I might go all out on it and go broke...

kinda just looking for opinions on if I should get the 2dr... What would you do?

Heres the 620, Ive got a cherry hood to replace this one if I paint it...

CopyofDatsunstuff018.jpg

Im heading to spokane tomorrow actually. visting the brother in law for thanksgiving. sell me the 2door for 100 bux :D.