Make Wine

hughdogz

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmmm wine is like mothers milk to Italians :D. Looks like you had a lot of fun, and that's it wasn't even close to your 1st rodeo lol, seem very well equipped.

The bottom or "mother" of the wine is my favorite part of a home vintage. That stuff knocks you through a loop something fierce.

Do you or have you tried aging? Ever use wood? I think wood aging is an easy way to add various complexities.

Edited by 72240z
Guest DatsuNoob
There is nothing like waking up with stained red lips and a wine glass in your hand with Peter Frampton still playing on the stereo.

Who's wine? What wine? :lol: I love wine. Reds mostly. Merlot and a ribeye steak is heaven for me. Very interesting how it's made. I've watched a friend make beer before, but have always been interested in the wine making process. I tried making pruno in jail before, but that didnt work out too well once the guards decided to toss cells :o. Looks like you know what you're doing. What kind is this batch?

i made some sour mash shine about a month ago, the mash turned out ok for being a store bought yeast that dies at low concentrations of alcohol, the only problem i had was not being able to control my stills temp, a made a little bit of shine with it but i didnt drink any, mostly played with it and burned it, i wasnt going to drink anything that came off from the still because the temp went over 180, maybe someay when i have more time and im not so busy i will try and make some good spirits, nice setup by the way, post back and let us know how it turns out

Do you or have you tried aging? Ever use wood? I think wood aging is an easy way to add various complexities.

If you don't have an appropriately sized barrel, add oak chips [see your BBQ accessories supplier] to the mix and strain after as long as you can wait. This is what Budweiser does with birch chips to age their brews.

Hi Guys, I'll try that wood chip idea.

I'm going to "Beer making school" this Sunday (it is more difficult than making wine. ~25% of my batches turn out like crap).

I'll ask the experts at Above the Rest Beer / Wine making supply store about the wood chips...

I'm also going to try my hand at making Honey mead (easy using yeast nutrient) and making Sake. To make Sake, I found out you need rice, miso, yeast (of course) and that's all I know so far :D

• Like 1

Ah I'm on the beer trip myself. I try everything I can get my hands on. I favor Belgian heavily though, a nice triple or Abby ale. Definitely a fan of the higher abv's, 8+ for me please :-). There is a place by me that you go to to brew your own, but using their equipment. They have recipe lists that you can follow to a T or modify how ever you like. Then the beer is stored there. It's like 200 bucks for 22 22oz bottles of your own brew. I think me and my friend are going to try "fat tire", idk if anyone has had that but its pretty damn good and one of the more simple ones to make. It's from New Belgian brewing company in CO.

Are you using all your own stuff to do it? I wanted to but who can pass up 484oz of high abv, complex, self brew stored and all for 200 dollars? lol Not me. Plus in their controlled environment the fail ratio is WAY lower then 25%. Another selling point for me.

Update. I added oak chips to the ~5 gallons of wine I have brewing (thanks 72240z). I bought a teeny bag that was ~$4. I figured it would be more sterile than some from a BBQ supply place :o

I already racked the second fermentation stage into another carboy. It gave me a chance to taste the second fermentation. A little dry, but the alcohol content seems right around 11.5%. It actually tasted really good, not much yeasty flavor.

I also took a FREE brew making class (~2.5 hours) at the local supply store. We got to try out 2-3 pints of the nut brown ale that was made last class. Plus a free heavy glass Stein (normally $8), free pizza, free books, etc. It was such a great class.

I'm going to start brewing beer again. Too bad I gave away all my kegs, bottle cappers, stainless steel wort boilers, etc. that I had ~10 years ago :(

Edited by hughdogz
  • Like 1

You're kidding me. I used to homebrew many moons ago and just decided to take it back up again a couple weeks ago. Then I find this!

I'm going to start brewing beer again. Too bad I gave away all my kegs, bottle cappers, stainless steel wort boilers, etc. that I had ~10 years ago :(

I've got a capper you can have, and I can loan you a Corny keg. I *think* I'll be around this weekend. Gimme a buzz tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday.

He he...

Ron, that would be great if we could share supplies, recipies (and concoctions)!

Beer is already WAY too expensive (for me) and I heard it is only going to go up more.

I heard they're going to increase the "Sin Tax" on alcohol 180% :eek:

If we brew our own beer, we can get around that. No alcohol to tax for malted barley, wheat and sugar / barley extract :fu: ;)

You're kidding me. I used to homebrew many moons ago and just decided to take it back up again a couple weeks ago. Then I find this!

I've got a capper you can have, and I can loan you a Corny keg. I *think* I'll be around this weekend. Gimme a buzz tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday.

Edited by hughdogz
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I shouldn't have gone to the Marathon with Bryan and Turbo Tom...we were playing pool and I was so drunk I hit the floor (but bounced right back up haha). I don't remember going to two more clubs after that :o

Lost my cell phone and woke up at home :lol:

That wine is some potent stuff!! Hopefully it will taste a bit more subdued now that we've zapped the live yeast with the potassium sorbate.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried "jacking"? Water freezes @ 32F, alchohol takes a rediculous temp to freeze ( sumthin like over -100F?) Therefore, you use different methods to freeze your wine, peel off the ice layer each time, and viola! Distillation! farmers used to make big rain barrels of cider on the porch, then pull off a couple inch thick slab of ice every morning until they wound up w/ "applejack" For any one who's never tasted it, YOU HAVN'T LIVED!!!! Can't buy it in stores... Too bad the NW rarely gets cold enough to try this naturally, but that's where we crutch on technology, right? Check out a book called "The Bootlegger's Bible" it's a must read. To the author of this thread, I've got a large batch of ginger mead brewing now, and some "grapefruit peelsnir" in the works. wouldn't mind recipe swap and the occasional tasting...I'm new to this forum, but I'll catch yall later I'm sure.

• 3 years later...

Hey if anybody really does this small scale and not just talking,,,,, my family owns many acres of cranberry bogs in Grayland WA ,, and the machinery we use leaves about a foot and a half next to every ditch edge that is never, ever picked.. If you contact me we are usually completely wrapped harvesting up by the first of November so late October might be best ,, but i have heard wine needs sugers and waiting as long as possible before they start to rot might be best..IDK.

There are 4 types some grow faster and ripen sooner so they are used in juice only and some are those kind you see in stores in the little bags and they are way better tasting but not as sweet,, if you can call a cranberry sweet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or good tasting.. :lol:

Once they rot ,, cranberries would be almost imposible to pick even by hand...but might be entertaining for the younger family workers to laugh at you trying..

Think about it

Free ,,, free ,, free.

And since this thread is lacking Datsun content

aaaaaaaa003.jpg

• Like 1

The idea of making wine from Cranberries is interesting.  However, if you add enough sugar to allow fermentation, it would be more like Cranberry flavored beer.  Cranberries have a lot of Vitamin C which retards the growth of yeast and other molds.  Reminds me of the old recipies for Dandelion Wine.  Fleischmans makes a line of yeast aimed towards wine and beer making as opposed to bread and rolls so it might be worth checking into.  Don't use bread specified yeast!  Too weak.  I wonder if Sho Chiku Bai would sell you some of their Sake yeast?